Scoring is AZ: Jozy at Alkmaar

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Aug 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it's "ayzee" because it's the same two letters that we pronounce "ay" and "zee". The Dutch don't have linguistic ownership of the Roman alphabet.

Or was the final score of the Barcelona/Milan match cero a zero instead of nothing to nothing?

2. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Never, because he plays fine. Reason why he got a call and played against Germany.

I'm not trying to prove he's a horrible player. But fine. If all you want are positive stories about him, I won't bother you anymore.

Altidore was great!

3. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Jozy played pretty well overall. There were moments in the game ehre you saw a massive improvement in being a lone center forward. If only he can get a little more consistent. If he plays like that for 60-70 min a game his team will usually get a positive result.

And in before the close

4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001

Just say "cheese" and everyone will understand.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Yes, he plays fine and wastes buckets of chances per game, but nobody says a word.

And again, I have yet to try to push the notion that Jozy is great. You tried pushing the notion that he is the co-weak link on the team. It would be super groovy if you could respond to the thing I actually said, like I'm doing for you.

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    didn't he have 2 asssits in the game that saw them through to this round of the UEFA League?

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Jozy is fine but not on fire. One of the things everyone likes is those "on fire" season - think of Bradley's teammate Sulejmani's first year for H'veen for instance. He was maybe 19 or 20 and scored 15 goals with 10 assists - most importantly helped keep the team winning even after Alves left. With those 15 goals he get talent of the year, goes to Ajax for 16 million euro - and now his production is fairly close to Jozy's. In fact he is tied with Jozy, one of the reasons I bring him up.

If you watch the games, you know that Verbeek has put Jozy in a tough spot. He is constantly double-teamed by strong defenders. He is learning to hold up and play with his back to the goal. He could certainly be more opportunistic and has looked pretty awkward on a couple of goal chances. I also think his decision making could be quicker, but as long as Verbeek believes in him, AZ keeps winning, and Jozy keeps learning - who cares .

1 person likes this.
  8. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All the kinds of things you'd expect from a player in the first year of a new league. Question for Jozy is whether he gets better next season. If he doesn't, then I think we start to get disappointed in him. Until then, I'm quite pleased with what he's done this season.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God, youse guys are superstitious.

"Jozy below sea level"

10. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Or we can pronouce it like a word - like a$$, but with z's. Like my proposed title for this thread... Score or it's your AZ - Jozy at Alkmaar.

11. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've found this thread to be a great deal more readable and informative after putting certain overly enthusiastic posters, ahem, on ignore. ;)

12. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, please

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I also have to point out that "midtable PL" is exactly where Demps is. It's where Landon was... I mean, if Jozy "only" turns out to be a consistent Mid-table PL striker, I'm not sure that's the end of the world. There are plenty of Ered starlets who have not gotten that far.

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    dont' be an AZ hole.

15. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States