2012 RSL Player thread

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by SoccerPrime, Sep 5, 2011.

1. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    All I know is that Kreis told me that in the Vancouver scrimmage he played pretty good in the midfield, but then they moved him to left back and he "really liked what he saw there". And then last night Lagerwey mentioned that "the door is still open."

As was pointed out, he played alongside CJ for several years, and so he's a very known commodity.

A player leaving for a trial when they haven't been offered a contract can't really be viewed negatively by RSL. If they wanted him to learn the RSL way, then they should have offered him a contract.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plus if Banner comes back and signs, I will be right again. And that's always important.

Also, imagine a field team with Olave and a guy named Banner.

[​IMG]

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    International Slot Situation with current roster

Will Be part of 2012 roster
    (it has been noted that multiple players are working on green cards. To be safe, lets all assume that none of them will be granted them before March 1)
    Espindola
    Martinez (GA)
    Morales
    Paulo Jr
    Saborio

Thus, just one spot left open to the following players:
    Bonfigli (FW)
    - From what I've read/seen, this kid seems to have quite the connection with Espy and Javi. Argentine triangle? I like it

Casal (DF)
    - Just arrived. Looks to have some pretty tremendous speed, but I highly doubt he is more than a training cone for the preseason

de Almedia (DF)
    - I'm 99% certain that if he didn't occupy an international slot, he'd stick. The problem is, he will occupy one if RSL wanted to keep him. I predict he'll be gone before RSL makes the trip to Arizona for the preseason tourney.

Laing (DF)
    - His resume is pretty impressive. Starts with the Jamaican national team (a team on the rise again, it seems) is not something to shrug off. However, it's the fact that he is Jamaican and won't be looking to qualify for a green card that will keep him off the roster.

Steele (MF)
    - From what I've seen and read, he seems to be the biggest threat to Bonfigli for that last international slot. The problem for him, though, is that he is competing in an area that we already have some well established depth. At striker it's Espy, Sabo, and then potentially Paulo Junior (we'll see if he can regain form). In the middle, though, Steele is competing with the likes of Yordany Alvarez and Luis Gil just to make the midfield depth. I bet he is the last player cut from the roster.

Tanaka (DF)
    - I'm actually surprised that Tanaka has lasted this long. All the stuff I've read about him leads me to believe he is an average player trying to break into a great defense. I think he'll be cut right before the preseason tourney as well.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    de Almedia might already have a green card. Doego immigrated by himself for school at SMU.

6. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Unfortunately he doesn't.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The amount of Int'l in the RSL's preseason camp is just mind-blowing. Seriously. They have 1 spot for 6-7 guys. Why? Waste of time.

8. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    They have 11 players on their current preseason roster listed as int'l. Two of those players wouldn't make the team anyway as they have four international outside backs (Tanaka, de Almeida, Casal, Laing) who are fighting for what are likely two spots. In addition, Mike Banner is still an option which would take the international count down to 8.

If it doesn't make sense, then you can draw two conclusions: 1) RSL doesn't know what they are doing, or 2) they have information or an alternate plan that we don't know about.

9. d1ddy

d1ddy Member

Oct 8, 2008
    upstate
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep praying/expecting to hear MLS has reset the Int'l roster spots for each team... wishful thinking, I know. .

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if they reset the Int'l slots (fantasy) then we are only talking of adding 2 more slots, at best. Still not nearly enough.

AND thats IF RSL wants to use all their slots now and have 0 for the rest of the season.

Listen, I am not upset at all at the current FO for the int'l spot situation, they didn't cause it. But to have 11 players fighting for 6 slots when there are needs for depth on this team seems backwards. I would think its better to heavily recruit domestics that can 1) add depth and 2) have a realistic ability to join the team have to priority #1.

Or we can bite the bullet and trade Kyle Reynish to Colorado for 2 int'l slots. ;)

11. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One possibility is that they are showcasing these players to create interest for trades for domestic players of quality.

12. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering we've been bringing in players that have already had trials with other MLS clubs, I highly doubt this.

I'm with Prime on this one, it makes zero sense to have so many international guys in camp given the limitations of the squad. While a domestic player might not be at the same level as these trialists, at least they'll have a realistic shot at making the team.

Garson must (hopefully) know something we don't or have something in the works that relieves this issue. If not, they'll have wasted a preseason with trialists that had about the same chance as myself of making the squad.

13. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if many of them are on their way to green cards and we just don't know about it? Isn't that a very simple fix to all the internationals? Javi, Fabi, Paulo, and Yordanny have all been here for a while. Seems like it could be a possibility.

14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked Denz about this on soapbox and he said that nobody would have any idea where they stand on this. They could all get their green cards tomorrow. They could all have to wait until 2014. It's a crap shoot that nobody can honestly track.

Garth echoed this as well. I'm just not allowed to say where...:D

15. SALTLAKEJAKE

SALTLAKEJAKE Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Sugarhood
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard from two people in the FO, that they most all the internationals are at varying stages of the process but for privacy reasons they cannot comment on who is at what stage and when they may have any type of citizenship.

They are all in the process though.

16. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
  17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    paints a pretty clear picture in how RSL has got themselves in a bit of a pickle. trading those 2 slots away will continue to haunt the team. you gotta think that the academy players arent probably going to make the cut and that RSL will probably keep them as academy tagged guys for the future.

my question is how signing velasquez changes things, does he occupy that final international spot?

18. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
    Velasquez has a green card and doesn't count as an international. But there are other trialists who do, and will likely make the team - particularly Jonny Steele, Emiliano Bonfigli and perhaps an outside back or two.

19. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahh ok, i think we discussed this earlier in the thread but i couldnt remember. that probably made the decision on whether or not to sign him easier.

20. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Olave, Alvarez, Velasquez, all safe with green cards or equivalents. They do not take up international slots. PJ, Morales, Saborio, Martinez and de Almeida are working on them, They might get them any moment or next year. I am thinking at least later in this season. I have no idea if Espindola is even working on it.

Now Steele has been here awhile but some of that has been in Canada so that might slow his status. Tanaka and Bonfigli are complete unknowns but my Vegas money is that they might have started the process last week if we are lucky.

Again, we have 6 spots (unless we are on Fantasy Island) and 5 spots being used right now (PJ, Morales, Espindola, Martinez, Saborio ). We have Diogo de Almeida, Jonny Steele, Emiliano Bonfigli, Terukazu Tanaka, Diogo de Almeida, Lance Laing and Kasali Casal (7) fighting for that final spot. And Garth told Edward that we might call Samir Bengelloun back. So maybe 8 guys fighting for 1 spot. :(

Sounds like Leone Cruz is a lock though. Thats positive.

21. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Espindola isn't working on a green card?
    Is there any reasoning behind this?

With Enzo having lived in the states for so long, you would hope (and somewhat assume) his green card will come very shortly.

How is it that Velasquez already has one (while he has been bouncing around the globe) yet Enzo (who has been at UNC for the past 3 years) doesn't?

22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Having a foreign wife, I know that it is not a automatic decision to become a citizen of the United States, perhaps Espindola and Enzo are not ready to abandon their own countries yet.

23. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does having a green card disqualify Sabo for playing with Costa Rica?

24. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don,t know but don't many of our own national team members hold duel citizenship with Germany and the United States?

25. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Never stopped Andy Williams from playing with the Reggae Boyz.

A green card isn't citizenship, and it is in the team's best interest if their long-term foreign players acquire one.