The Official 2011 Korea NT Thread Part 4 [R]

Discussion in 'Korea' started by Sergei Mantis, Jul 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He did finish with style.

But he is nothing for Korea.

Wich managers from Europe are available now?

2. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    HMB stated he will NOT take the job.

3. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    HA! Good riddance you tool.

4. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah. CKR has nothing to complain about due to his ineptitude in the pitch but these shenanigans just reinforce the bizarre nature of the machinations and politics of the KFA

5. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seriously?

Ghotbi!?

This guy is all talk. I remember him spouting his shit about how he was going to use his "special tactics" against us in the 2009 WCQualifier. He is a horrible manager. Give him his old job as manager bitch back though.

6. killaorca

killaorca Member+

AFC Ajax
    May 11, 2010
    Pacific Ocean
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    all I care about right now is that we don't lose to Kuwait. OMG can't believe we're in this situation, just get a caretaker that can beat Kuwait and after that we can think long term.

7. Mudang

Mudang Member+

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    You know what's even more depressing?

The KFA is going to throw around some names and not even contact their "candidates."

I still remember them announcing they had "selected" fcuking Mick McCarthy and Gerard Houllier as replacements.

Seriously. Mick FCUKING McCarthy.

KFA is a joke.

I hope they redeem themselves by getting a manager of some quality but I doubt it.

8. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    The ones worth mentioning won't be interested until qualification to 2014 is already secured.

And it also seems the "targets" have already declined.

9. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
    http://news.naver.com/sports/index....&mod=read&office_id=241&article_id=0002066139

According to media reports, Hong and Choi have both rejected any interest in taking the job. Choi went a step further to say that Korea should get a foreign coach. The KFA doesn't really like Ghotbi all that much and feels that he's not proven on the international stage. So do we have that is willing to take on the risk?

Would Hiddink come back as a caretaker coach until we find someone for the long haul?

10. ChaBoomer

ChaBoomer Member

Oct 27, 2004
    San Francisco
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Who in their right mind would sign up for a possible one game tenure? I doubt we would have anyone until we pass Kuwait in Feb. A caretaker for now and take time, KfA.

11. Tazza

Tazza Member

Nov 2, 2010
    First post here. Been lurking for quite a while.

This is like the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know. Guess KFA went with the devil they don't know, which i agree with. I was seriously beginning to doubt if Korea would advance to the world cup, especially in the next round because i still think we would've beaten kuwait or at least tied them. Also, a 3-0 loss vs japan is UNACCEPTABLE.

Now the problem is finding the right manager. I don't think hiring ghotbi, HMB, or choi would be very good. with hmb and choi, they know the domestic players, but i actually think that this is overrated. Most of our players are in europe anyways. We only need k-league players for defense. choi kang hee works in kleague, but his defenses aren't good. HMB, i think will be the manager of the future, but not right now, too much inexperience. ghotbi, just bleh, the iran team didn't look impressive.

I don't know much about farias, but his resume does seem impressive. Lee-kwang jong, i remember from 2009 u17 world cup, and the team looked extremely good. They outplayed Italy, but lost 2-1 because of awful luck. then got knocked out in quarterfinals against the eventual champs. (Where is Lee jong-ho btw? He was a beast in 2009 u17 wc, even better than SHM imo).

Hiddink would overwhelmingly be the perfect fit right now, but idk if we'd have the resources or if hiddink would want to come back. The scenario is perfect though, he just got fired, korea just got rid of its manager, the team desperately needs direction after the two players that hiddink groomed, lee young pyo and park js left, and it would just be the right fit.

Im not talking about bringing huh jung moo back, but i felt that he didn't get the credit he deserved as a manager. Sure he made some dumb decisions in player selection, but remember, we played very good football in wc10, and in friendlies, we lost to spain 1-0 because of a wondershot by navas, we beat ivory coast, we dominated japan. I just thought huh jung moo was a good manager, and we could use him as a care taker until we get the right manager. Because right now, we don't have many choices

12. 12th Warrior

12th Warrior Member+

May 27, 2006
    I read somewhere that the KFA's annual budget is roughly $88 million a year. Korea is the 15th largest economy in the world. And yet, we can't find a few million dollars to hire a half-way decent coach with a proven record?

Come on, Mr. Chung. I know you haven't given up your dreams of being president. If you really want to serve your country, go sell another tanker and add to the KFA war chest. This is the time to step up and may be the people will repay you by voting for you in 2013.

13. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  14. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    thank ma-ah fahking god.

15. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    something seems off though

Like we are in the middle of the ocean without a rudder.

16. olijolly

olijolly Member+

Aug 30, 2009
    Club:
    Suwon Bluewings
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    One day I'm gonna make a list of all your strange/corny idioms and metaphors.

17. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Except for JFA, all the other Asian football associations receive financial support from the government, hence the reason why Saudi FA was able to hire Rijkaard and pay him an annual salary of $5 mil. Same thing can be said to Chinese FA, Iranian FA and other FAs from the gulf nations.

KFA, similar to JFA, is a private organisation that do not receive any support from the government. This means KFA's #1 priority is to stay financially viable on its own. They have a tight budget to spend but at the same time, like any other businesses, they also need to work hard to increase their sales revenue. Having said that, KFA has done a pretty good job since the 2000s as their annual budget increased almost ten-folds, now sitting at close to $100 mil per year.

How did they manage to do that?

They established close relationships with their sponsors. Korea is the only Asian nation that has been classified an "A" class from Nike, which means we get similar treatments as other major Nike-sponsored nations like Brazil, Netherlands, US or France. Nike secured a 4-year contract with KFA with an offering of $50 million. That's $12.5 mil per year. That's a lot of money. Plus, for every friendly match Korea gets to host in Korea, KFA receives $1 mil from its sponsors (Hana Bank is the most notable example) - That's probably the reason why we always never play away matches. KFA also make huge earnings through the sales of broadcasting rights and merchandise sales.

So, KFA is not short of money. The problem is though, they set up a very ambitious long-term plan in youth development which requires them to spend roughly 25% of their budget each year. Their plan is coming to fruit though, as infrastructure-wise, we've now managed to bridge the gap with the European nations and we're now almost on par with them. Most schools now have grass pitches which allows KFA to implement a league format "regionally". Hundreds of schools and football academies participate in this league and the kids get to play regular football on the grass pitch. We still lack a lot in terms of coaching skills. And that's the area where KFA needs to work on. To achieve that, KFA needs to keep investing a large bulk of their money.

With that being said, I believe KFA has no room to spend $4 mil on hiring a top-level coach. And they can't rely on someone like Chung to pay that $4 mil for them. Chung is not the president of KFA anymore and as I said before, KFA is a privately-owned organisation and so all of their transactions need to be transparent.

Although the news of Cho getting sacked gives me a huge relief, I fear there's a possibility of someone like Kim Ho-Gon taking the job. KFA has no connections in Europe and their only reliable network is KAM. With the limited network KFA has, I don't expect them to hire any high-profile coaches. Best they could do is probably hiring Senol Gunes or Nelo Vingada.

18. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    At the risk of sounding real naive, why don't they make an offer for the guy in charge of Jeonbuk (Choi Kang-Hee)? Would he make a good KNT coach?

19. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    He already rejected an offer. And imo, he's not quite up to the job. I think what Korea needs right now is a manager who has good years of NT experience and knows how to handle/fix our defence. Let's not forget this: The biggest reason why Cho failed miserably was because he had no previous experience as a NT manager. His management skills were amateurish at best. He used the same approach as he had done previously at Gyeongnam.

20. zdrav

zdrav Member+

Sep 9, 2009
    That's a good point. NT managers have more talent at their disposal, but they have so little time to put a team together and drill them into a system. CKR may have been a good league manager (I assume this is why he got the NT job), but he was too disorganized and unsure as an NT manager.

I'm glad that KFA put this issue to rest before it festered into a mess of Domenech-esque proportions.

21. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Assistant Manager, Park Tae Ha, will also be stepping down as he said he is also responsible for the situation. He was in our coaching staff during the 2010 WC before taking over the assistant manger role.

22. Expo

Expo New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  23. Expo

Expo New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hrm. I wonder if its our favorite go-to: Kim Ho-gon

24. Expo

Expo New Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He has always been against the idea of coaching the NT. He was considered higher profile than Cho after Huh Jung Moo called it quits.

25. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I can't believe people are forgetting about Swan Tiger Kim!!!