Tim Ream sophomore slump

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by tigersoccer2005, Oct 11, 2011.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just saw Ream make a bad mistake leading to the US Nat team giving up a goal against Ecuador. What has happened to this guy? He was rock solid last year and then this year as the season progressed his game has gone down so much in quality. Is it the long Red bull slump that has affected him? Did Backe's coaching affect his confidence? Just the normal ups and downs of a young player? Which is more indicative of Ream's true tendencies---last year's or this year's?

2. lkgf09

lkgf09 Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He hasn't been as solid as last year but it's not like every time he goes out there it's a complete disaster. I think it is just the normal ups and downs of a young player.

National team is different. He just may not be at that level yet.

3. iced1776

iced1776 Member+

Dec 4, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Ugh that goal was deja vu for so many games this season. Player makes a run on an aerial ball into the box, Ream gives a halfhearted push and then simply allows the striker to get a full head to the ball without even coming close to getting in the way.

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think he is a Nat team player at this point and looks like he has regressed playing next to Rafa all year and being coached by Hans.. Very dissapointing after last year.

5. amr888

amr888 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on.

Tim Ream is suffering from the same issue that plagues Juan Agudelo. They read their own press. Anyone remember early in the season when Ream's people were touting the interest in him from Europe?

People need to understand that it takes time to develop talent. Backe's strategy especially as pertains to Agudelo, is the right one:

Don't inflate their ego, and don't give them too much to do.

6. SlowFox

SlowFox Member

Aug 16, 1999
    Good point.

Ream was understandably praised for his coolness at the back and the starting CB position was bestowed upon him because the coaches saw potential (also they had no one better). Problem is, you then need to continue to learn and work on your game, you know: Tim, maybe if you worked on doing it this way instead of the way you're used to doing it you would be even better, or Tim, you also need to learn how to body up on opposing forwards. The really good players are willing to go through the hard work of changing things they've been used to doing for years and learning new skills, the disappointing ones aren't. Let's give Tim some time to see in what direction he's inclined to go.

7. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    I was happy (almost proud) to see him come on the pitch until he reminded me of what's driven me crazy all season. A pathetic marking lapse allowed that goal last night, setting off an eruption of amarillo I'd rather not have been subjected to, tyvm.

How much crucial time do you give someone who keeps f'ing up?

8. juan agudelowns

Apr 27, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    At least the entire country got to feel what we've felt numerous weeks out of this year.

Note: it's not a good thing

9. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably a perfect storm of hype, ego, pressure, sophomore slump, and a poor Red Bull defense.

Hopefully he's coming down to earth a bit and at the end of the season he can look back, see where he needs to impove, and work it out.

Klinsmann has said that one of the major reasons he keeps getting called in is not just his potential, but his ability and desire to learn and get to that next level. Next year we'll see if he has a higher ceiling.

10. FDNY Fitzy

FDNY Fitzy Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Solli is a midfielder playing defense.

Marquez and Ream has horrible chemistry, and we had Keel-Mendes which wasn't much better during the Gold Cup.

Right now, the unit as is is okay. But its something they'll want to address in the offseason. Maybe you go out and get a big CB who is dangerous on corners? Maybe you shift Solli to midfield and play a 4-3-3 with Richards at RW and Henry at LW.

Who knows. There are indefinate possibilities. But something has to be done to improve the defense.

11. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were managing this team I'd get a LB, RB, CB (physical like you mentioned), get rid of Marquez, and let Solli and Richards battle for that RW spot.

I'm not a fan of the 4-3-3 at the pro level, but if I were to do it as you suggested it would be

Agudelo-Henry-Rodgers
    -----Joel-Tainio-Solli
    new--Ream-new----new
    ----------Rost

12. FDNY Fitzy

FDNY Fitzy Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If we could maintain Joel then i'd be for it, provided we played Henry out left like at Arsenal, Rodgers in the middle. Agudelo and Richards could split minutes at RW, part f me feels he is too good to sit but Imagine what he could do as a 55th minute sub coming in and running at tired defenses every game.

Joel-Tainio-Solli, or hell Tainio-Marquez-Solli could be very good possession/distribution midfields.

Now I don't have a problem with all 3 of our forwards out there, because Henry spends half of his time in the midfield anyways. I guess it depends on if you value Agudelo, McCarty or Richards the most.