Semifinal 2: France - USA | 13.07.11 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Lusankya, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2011 Women's World Cup
    Match 30
    13-July-2011 18:00
    Mönchengladbach
    Borussia-Park

France vs. USA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

History:
    1 French win
    1 Draw
    11 American wins
    9:38 goals

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who's the ref?? It seems, at least to some of us US fans, a matter of some importance

3. police

police New Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The US resolve can never be overlooked. But I sense they might underestimate a French side that I consider the most impressive so far in this tournament. France advances in regulation or the US takes it in another penalty shootout.

4. seCrawler

seCrawler New Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Club:
    Santa Fe Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this game is probably a tale of two stories. Frances comes out with their slick transition game between the MF and Forwards but the USA won't be able to match that, just not a smooth squad for some reason. If that occurs, it turns into the USA chasing balls, and then, you have Boxx and company committing fouls and running French players over. It's bond to happen. Then the game starts to look like the Fra/Eng. If it goes that way and I think it will, France will get taken out their game. A physical, smash mouth game like that will not benefit them. Maybe it finishes 1-0 USA with a body pile up in the French end and a ball pops off of Abby back for the winner.

5. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Agreed. On the men's side WC 2010, we had more goals disallowed than amount of goals England scored.

6. Wiebel

Wiebel New Member

May 17, 2010
    Belgium
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    This is my fear. I'm going to Mönchengladbach to see the game and will be cheering for France all the way. And although they can play better soccer than the USA, if the game gets physical (and it will, considering that's how the US plays) France will lose, simply because they can not change to that type of physical game.
    I'm pretty sure USA will win the tournament, and that's a bit sad because they play horrible but few teams can match their physical play... just comfort myself with the thought that it will be good for the WPS probably

Anyway I'm just glad that I will be able to see Louisa Necib, I'm a sucker for women with elegance combined with a bit of cockyness :D hoping for a miracle, that would be awesome :eek:)

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think the French coaching and players know they are not as strong and powerful as the American players. So a gameplan will be devised to avoid most of the physical play. If we are technically good enough to retain the ball in our feet long enough and create openings, we will create chances and hopefully manage to outscore the US team. We will definitely need a better final ball and accurate finishing than against England.

8. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    The French manager seems to be a whole lot smarter, tactically, than Brasil's Lima. Hopefully, with an extra day of rest, he can devise a plan to exploit those weaknesses. What really bothered me about France on Saturday was their inability to get shot on frame--too many off target. With Hope Solo in the goal, they will have to make the most of every opportunity.

9. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The French girls are a real pleasure to watch for us Frenchies. Their collective play is fluid, they are great technicians and they have a nice spirit.

I agree that they could suffer against the US physical play, but what I fear the most is their lack of experience. They live the competition as if they were the cinderellas of the tournament whereas they fully deserve to be in the last 4. Women's football is quite new in France, the team still lacks in consistency.

Allez les bleues! :)

10. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    haha..exactly!

11. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think that's because they aren't confident enough. They are too impatient and rush their shoots when they could have the time to do things more carefully.

This wouldn't happen in a more experienced team.

12. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Well, now is the time. :D I liked their manager's comments after the match on Saturday. It showed me that he really cared about his team. He's got to impress upon them that they aren't the newbies any more and it's time act like the real deal. They can do it; just need focus. This is where a manager's true skills are tested. I don't think France will win because they will be playing football while the US will just play..whatever they play. But, I will cheer France and hope for the best.

13. Mosan

Mosan Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Munich
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    While I have seen former French teams play a rugged style sthemselves this was my stance pre-tournament as well. In the meanwhile France has faced Nigeria, Germany and England. They got past those and should feel comfortable with this challenge. US players historically have much more clutch in them though. Then again this is a new WWC and "underperformers" like Japan, Sweden and France are in the semis. So here is hope the better team wins (whichever one that is).

For this tournament I`d hate the U.S. to somehow bruise `n cruise through to the title win (without eleviating their game). Dunno if refs have been assigned yet but with Germany out I can forsee that Bibi Steinhaus is already inked for the final. Considering that Sweden play the other semi my best guess is that Jenny Palmqvist gets the nod for this match.

14. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Neitehr Bibi or Jenny will get a semi, they are both UEFA refs so they will only get games with none or both team is UEFA.
    So unless both Sweden and France wins, or bot loses, Bibi or Jenny will as most play 4th ref for the rest of the tournament.
    If both Bibi will probably get the final, in none it could as well be Jenny.

15. Metropolitan

Metropolitan Member+

Paris Saint Germain
    France
    Sep 5, 2005
    Paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    [​IMG]

That's a nice cover from France Football, the magazine which is famous for its ballon d'or.

It's saying:
    "WE LOVE YOU!"

There's something happening with our girls. Seeing such a good spirit is healing many French bleeding hearts after what happened during the men's world cup. The ladies are teaching them a lesson.

16. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    That is a nice cover. Let's see if that spirit can carry them over Wednesday's hurdle.

17. thegamesthatrate

Jan 9, 2007
    It's nice to see a balance of French and American posters on this thread.

This game tactically is likely to be similar to USA v Brazil, because France's passing style appears to be similar to that of Brazil.

The USA is going to need to be able to counter French possession. The USA's weak passing game through the middle is vulnerable to French control.

On the other hand, the USA has Abby Wambach, and nobody else does. While Wambach is overall not as talented as Michelle Akers (nobody in the women's game ever has been), she is a sounder player than she is given credit for, she is the best in the air today (proof was given yesterday) and she has a will of iron. Yesterday was not the first clutch goal of her career (goal in quarterfinals of 1-0 win against Norway in 2003 WWC; winning goal in extra time in the Olympic finals in 2004).

What the USA needs to do is avoid the temptation to over-rely on her.

What France needs to do is try to score early and disrupt the USA's play.

This has the potential to be a very interesting game.

18. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    That is so nice!

19. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    It's gonna be the tougher game for our players definetly, USA got in abundance what we don't have.....power......Bini and the girls know they can't compete in a physical match against the americans so our game will be based on ball possession for sure......but really don't know if it will be enough......both teams have 50% of chance to be in the final.

20. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    The US midfield didn't look so great against Brazil. Too many bad passes, lost balls. If France can get control of the midfield they'll have a good chance. It's the final third where I think they'll run into trouble.

I agree with the 50/50.

21. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has there been interviews from the Frenchies about the game, yet?

22. ag nigrin

ag nigrin Member

Mar 4, 2002
    NJ, USA
    I posted a slightly different version of this post on another thread:

The French have played very attractive attacking soccer so far and have speedy forwards and a decent midfield but their D is not that great. Both French goalkeepers can't hold a candle to Hope Solo!

I see the USA winning by the same type of score the Germans won by... Should be a terrific game!

The USA has been to the semifinals each of the 6 World Cups but this is the first time for the French. The USA came off a bigger win in the Quarters and have more momentum... I feel as if the USA is destined to win the Cup this time. Yes call me a fatalist and a home boy but you can tell Abby, Boxxy, Rampone and the rest of the team really want to win the title. The French are just happy to be in the semis..

GO USA!

23. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    All of the US media say that the Americans are the "overwhelming favorites" to win the semifinal match. They don't seem to give France much credit.

I hope this kind of over-confidence will be their undoing as I am definitely rooting for the french.

Allez les Bleues!

24. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    France's semi was a monster, had to put it together in last 5 mins against england. it was like a snow game between green bay and the chicago bears. i don't see much there, outside of brasil 1 man up and playing not to lose vs england hustling on 1 leg.

4 goals from the USA? How about 2-1 / 2-0. Ruff pressure from USA makes France's forwards accuracy even worst. and rampone takes thomis completely out the game.

25. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    The US media will say that versus any opponent the US has that isn't named Germany or Brasil.