Terraces Future - Have Your Say!

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Colorado Supporters, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The BSG & the Pid Army launch joint consultation to shape the future of the Supporters Terrace

The BSG & the Pid Army are joining forces to give all Rapids Rapids fans who grew to love the Supporters Terraces this year a chance to have input on their future. All fans are invited to send their comments, irrespective of whether they watch games from the terrace or are a member of the BSG or Pid Army. We would like anyone who is interested in improving the situation on the Supporters Terrace to be involved.

The Rapids have repeatedly told us that they are open to ideas on how the terraces may be improved so it up to us as supporters to speak up & communicate what we like & dislike about the area. The plan will be to take all the comments received & draw common themes from them. These themes will then be presented by the supporters groups into their meetings with the Front Office where hopefully action will be taken. The feeling is that one person's views on the terrace can easily be ignored, but it becomes a little harder if hundreds of supporters are saying the same thing!

Before sending us comments, we urge all fans to read the notes below & take the information into account in their response.

[​IMG]

A few notes on things you may want to consider:

1. Be creative! If money was no object, what would you build here? You never know, sometimes ideas which seem completely crazy can be turned into something that works.

2. Look at the routes used by players & fans on matchdays. Is there any reason why it might be useful to change them? How?

3. Think about how the actual terrraces themselves should be changed. For example, should they be extended back (i.e. made higher) or lengthways?

4. The capo stands are currently placed near the corners of each side of the terraces (shown with the two small black boxes). Would you change anything about them?

5. Think about whether you are prepared to sacrifice being so close to the players for an improvement in view.

6. Is there anything the Rapids could do to help make the terraces to feel more like the supporters home? Would you add or take anything away? Could the Rapids allow us to do some things differently with flags / banners etc.?

[​IMG]

To get more information or send us comments please either:

- Go to http://www.bulldogsupporters.com/news/article.php?newsID=15
    - Go to http://www.nofanalone.com/
    - Post a reply to this thread.

2. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    pardon the ignorance... what are capo stands?

3. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    A capo stand is where a person organizes the chants.

A place for the "leaders" to get everything going in unison.

4. wcgcapone

wcgcapone Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Taller, steeper terraces.

5. LiquidatorFC

LiquidatorFC New Member

Aug 13, 2009
    DENVER
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some dayIi wish it was actually concrete structure with the players coming out through a tunnel.

6. jdub3379

jdub3379 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not in the terraces but adding a section between the 2 current stands seems like a reasonable start. It would be a modest sized expansion and it leaves enough room for PA and BSG to expand.

At least fill in the gap, that would be a huge improvement. Let the players come out of the corner. Not only is it safer for the players, but it also keeps those kids away from the profanity and other terrace antics.

7. ADJ9

ADJ9 New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see the terraces combined, or at the very least pushed closer together. The contact with the players is cool but I'm willing to give that up for an easier time getting everybody on the same page. I'd like the stands themselves to be significantly steeper. Overhead banners suck right now, and I guess it'd be easier for people to see the game also. I think the capo stands are fine. I don't see why we can't hang banners on the front of the section where it says "Everyone Bleeds Burgundy" or "Supporters Terrace" or whatever.

8. morerapidsplease

Apr 8, 2008
    Denver
    I agree whole heartedly, if they are worried about negative player/ fan interactions b/c of a few peckerheads that are in the stands that can't control themselves.

combining the stands woudl be a big bonus-there is definetly a divided feel. We can get more people into the stands and it allows for more room for me and my crew to pull a coctail table up to the railing to put our beers on on the east side. :)

9. COphysicsDave

COphysicsDave Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Centennial State
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring the terraces closer together, make them taller and steeper, like a wall of fans behind the goal as viewed from the pitch. Make it such that the fans appear to be imposing to the players on the field.

10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    +2

It would be cool if security just stepped in for "creating an isle" duty durring the 4 times they go in and out. Then you guys came together to be as one. It would also add the element of security being right there if anything got tossed in anyones direction. And it may add an image of respect in the terrace. We respect the game enough to create an isle for the players.

11. Big Chil in Denver

Sep 10, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higher steps at each level. The current stands make it difficult for shorter fans to get a good view, a big problem that's going to lead to fans not wanting to be in the terraces. Keep the nice, wide, safe platforms, though, just raise each step, and maybe add aisles with stairs up the middle and at the sides to make it easier to ascend/descend the higher steps.

12. SteveD22

SteveD22 New Member

Jul 16, 2009
    CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    +1

Also like jayd8888 idea if they can't be combined.

13. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of these comments are dead on. I'd like to see a permanent structure, steeper/taller levels (deep enough for 1 person to stand with some walking room to get to the exits). If rails need to be placed at the front for safety (to keep people from falling 18" onto the person in front of them) so be it.

For those that like to stand at field height, I'd recommend the terraces get pushed back a few feet, so people can stand along the entire length of the field.

I'd like to see terrace combined into one long section. The players could either 1) enter the pitch from the ambulance entrance in the NE corner, or 2) enter under/through the middle of the terrace using something like this:
    http://images.travelpod.com/users/e...16.where-players-enter-and-exit-the-pitch.jpg

Other ideas:
    • Add some closer toilets. That walk sucks.
    • Run some networking equipment down to the terrace so the beer vendor down there can take credit cards.
    • Would love to see a small "beer garden" down there for the terrace folks.
    • Seems like a lot of people like to gather around high-top tables. Maybe they could build a couple of levels into the terrace (on the far east and west sides) that have tables for people to gather around

14. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this

15. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    also i agree with the steeper and taller terraces... and maybe a rail in front of each row with a lip for beers and food to sit on

16. Arkose

Arkose Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't need a sticking lip to hold my beer, the chance of if getting spilled is high which would be a crime and then you have to fight the guy below becuase you spilt the beer on him.

I would suggest a rail with cup holders and every one will be happy.
    (no food needed, if you can't hold it than don't buy it beer is another story)

Agree with all the suggestions.

17. Boots Utd

Boots Utd Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Denver
    In my eyes, the biggest problem with the terraces is that anyone can buy a terrace ticket for the lowest price out there, then sit wherever they want in the stadium. While anyone who buys a non-terrace ticket cannot go down there. I think the terraces are more about an atmosphere than a ticket....there is no reason to have someone at the top checking for tickets....if someone wants to move to the terraces for a better atmosphere, they should be able to....

Imagine a first time 20-30 yr old something ticket purchaser. They see the terrace atmosphere vs the rest of the stadium, and want to go down there for the remainder of the game. Should a potential future season ticket holder be denied that access? Who are you really barring access for by having someone checking for tickets at the top of the steps?

18. Colorado Supporters

Aug 10, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great comments guys - please keep them coming!

Anyone who has a ticket (ST or gameday) for another part of the stadium can swap it for one in the terraces, subject to availability, for no charge at the Box Office. This allows seated ticket holders to try out the terraces. I will find out if you can swap your ticket midgame.

The reason terrace tickets are checked at the top of the stairs is to ensure that only terrace ticket holders can get down there. The terraces currently have a capacity of 1000 & this is therefore how many tickets the Rapids sell there. If seated ticket holders were simply allowed to go down you could have a situation where the terraces become dangerously overcrowded & face serious crowd control issues.

19. Hoolie Dave

Hoolie Dave New Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great input people. The majority these ideas are really good & we'll see what can get done. The Terraces are the new heartbeat of the Dick so hopefully they'll make some incremental improvements for us all. Cheers.

20. Oister

Oister Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Mile High
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    I think a storage unit down in the terrace area would be great to hold all the banners and drums. It's frustrating looking for them before every game and wondering why they were not brought down from the cage. Any chance of a smoke machine?

21. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My grand vision is for the Rapids to eliminate the price difference between the south stands and the north. Just make the south stands a family section - with group sales it darn near is anyway.

That should keep people from buying the terrace tickets and then moving.

I've yet to see a really solid explanation for the number of different tickets the club tries to sell. It looks like an undergrad's marketing 101 project on market segmentation. It should be simplified.

22. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with simplfying the pricing structure but terraces should definitely be cheaper than south stands. Terraces should remain the cheapest tickets. Unless they put in a more permanent structure that significantly improves the view and other issues people have stated in this thread (access to beer, etc) I don't see how they could justify pricing them the same.

23. ADJ9

ADJ9 New Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Can't count how many times a box of flags has been left upstairs with no way to get it down. Smoke is fun.

24. teddy_montoya

teddy_montoya RapidsThugLife

Nov 9, 2006
    Supporters Terrace
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring back the smoke machine!!!

'nuff said!

25. snowboarder

snowboarder Member

Jun 22, 2007
    My understanding was the RFO provided the smoke machine on gameday.

The reason why it was sometimes there and sometimes not was due to rain/bad weather because it needed to be plugged into an extension cord for power.

Does anyone have the story as to why the smoke machine was taken away?

If so, please explain. Usually Quinn 33 has this kind of information.