2010 CONCACAF Best 23

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Sakatei, Jul 23, 2010.

1. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Still dont see the arguments on how Ricketts is better than Ochoa? Because hes not.

2. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    How is it that no chivas players are in this pool?

They are among the best 4 clubs in all of the Americas!!!

3. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Respuesta: Re: 2010 CONCACAF Best 23

No love for Héctor Moreno (AZ Alkmaar, Netherlands)?

Cuauhtémoc? really? o_O

4. billyboy23

billyboy23 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Top 2 in all of the Americas! ;)

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aguirre rated Perez above Ochoa, Maybe even Mitchell. :D

6. devioustrevor

devioustrevor Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Napanee, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Atiba Hutchinson should probably be on such a list. In the Champions League group stages a couple of years ago he tore the Celtic and Man U defenses to shreds scoring himself a trio of goals.

Transferred to PSV for this upcoming season after several successful seasons with FC Kobenhavn of Denmark.

7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That is what I was telling slaminsams about Mexico having great goalkeepers. Mitchell is only about to play 2 of the biggest games one can play in this sport.

8. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    Like I had said earlier to me this is about individual performance, and I am not basing it just on the league you play in or the level of competition. The fact that Michel made the final in the libertadores didn't influence Ochoa in losing his starting job right before the WC. Ochoa lost the starting spot because of his own performance not because Michel or Perez outperformed him. Hopefully Chivas making the final doesn't become the answer to every debate involving Mexican players in the future.

9. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    what are talking about?

I just said "Mexico has great goalkeepers" thats all.

10. slaminsams

slaminsams Member+

Mar 22, 2010
    I thought it was strange that you brought up Michel playing in the libertadores as an example of great goalkeepers, really that is more about a great team then Michel. It seemed out of left field perhaps I misread it.

11. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Michel is good, but he was a late bloomer (well... Oswaldo didn't let him perform)... but there are more than just Michel (yes, without the "t" & just 1 "l") & Ochoa... Corona, Saucedo & Orozco (latter 2 specially underrated) all them are pretty good thought... and this can be the consolidation season for Talavera, althought he still haves some shaky moments... and don't forget rising Liborio Sanchez coming... Mexican goalkeepers aren't that bad as many people here think

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do not forget the best of them all Conejo Perez! :eek:

13. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Oh yeah... I don't know how could I forget our WC and mighty Necaxa keeper! :(

14. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Even so , Michel has been participating in Copa Libertadores making him active and not to mentioned he has been somewhat of an impact ,
    He is one of Mexicos best ,
    So yes I would say he can be considered 23 best

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Liborio had great games for Chivas in Libertadores, I do not think people can make the case for Liborio being top 23.

He is doing great with Veracruz

16. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Well then I wouldn't count of Liborio out for being in the 23 best one day ,
    But as of now I do think Michel is good enough to be in 23 best , Time will tell .

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually Goal keepers is the strongest positions for the USA, 3 in the EPL.

Also the talent pool for central defenders is strong, the quality is not great, but the USA can produce lots of 6'4'' guys that can run at an ok speed, they just do not have the footwork of the European/African/South American Defenders, they also do not have the passing skills of a Marquez. There is a guy, Ream is believe, He is a little shorter, 6'1'' I think, but has pretty good passing skills for his age.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/timothy-ream/profil/spieler_145466.html

18. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah I have no doubt that the best 2 goalkeepers are yanks but I think if one makes a top 10 GK in Concacaf, 2-8 would be a majority mexicans

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that there are a few internationals from Central America, I am not sure about the Caribbean, I know Ricketts (LA/Jamaica) used to play in England (Mostly a back up), and he is only 33.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/donovan-ricketts/transfers/spieler_15544.html

The guy from Costa Rica was pretty good, He is goint to the same team as Hector Moreno (Probably as a back up) He is only 21.

http://www.transfermarkt.de/en/esteban-alvarado/transfers/spieler_128502.html

I guess than Ochoa, Mitchell are top 10 for sure, Corona is Iffy.

I do not know much about Central American/Caribean GKs (or Canada) I am not sure where Corona, Orozco, Talevera, Muños would rank.

For all the jokes about Conejo being the starting GK for Mexico, I think that it shows one important thing, Ochoa and Mitchell are not that good at playing the ball with their feet (most goalkeepers are not that is why they are goalkeepers :p), Perez was good at that (Like Campos back in the day).

In my opinion if Ochoa was better at that and did not give to many rebounds he would have made the jump to Europe long time ago.

20. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    say what you want about Conejo, he still got us to the round of 16 of the World Cup which in my opinion Mexico was in the hardest group of any Concacaf Nation ....Although Ochoa and Mitchell are both better

FYP ;)

Has reached the final of both the FMF and the Champions League recently. Played a great game in the CCL final and would have raised the cup if Pachuca were not so damn lucky.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, that is because you (and me) follow Mexican football very close, so we overrate the Mexican players (I also overrate the American players), there may be some good GKs in C.A. Canada and the Islands, but we do not really know how good they are since we do not see them play very often. So we all are going to be bias. Some people do not even think Corona is the 3rd best (Mexican) GK in Mexico, Sanchez is still pretty good, Tolocafan probalby thinks Talavera is the best in the world :D.

I guess the thing that posters could do is rank the top 5 per possition for USA/Canada then Mexico then C.A. then the Islands and compare.

I mean There are 4 very good GK for the USA but are all them top 10, like you said Howard is probably the best, Guzan is around the same as Ochoa but the rest who knows.

so lets see top 3 GKS in Concacaf (talent pool)

Canada/USA
    1. Howard
    2. Guzan
    3. Hahnemman (old 38)

Mexico
    1. Ochoa
    2. Mitchell
    3. Corona?

Central America
    1. Alvarado?
    2. Valladares?

Caribbean
    1. Ricketts
    2. Phillips or Williams?

22. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Keylor Navas is better then every keeper in the CONCACAF right now that isn't an American playing in the EPL. He is the only one in the last few years that has been excellent at both NT and club level (if he wasn't Costa Rican and was South American or even American he's be in a top league with a good club in Europe).

Whoever says Ochoa is better than Navas at this moment is on crack...Ochoa is not what he use to be...i don't care how many Home Depot or Allstate commercials he makes...he is not close to what he once was at this moment...now Michel is more debatable since he at least is doing it right now in COpa Libertadores even though he has limited NT experience.

Esteban Alvarado does not deserve to be on this list...he still hasn't played in a official match with AZ Alkmaar (only friendly's) or even debut with the Costa Rica NT. He's got a long way to go to even be considered top 10...he's only a prospect right now.

1 person likes this.
  23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There you go set me straight, I was confusing Navas with Alvarado, shows how little I know about Central American (Costa Rica) football.

So Navas was the starting GK for Costa Rica in the last qualifying right?

24. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    Yea Keylor was our GK in 6 of our matches in the HEX....and also played both matches against Uruguay in the playoff round. It's coo that you confused them...i know some ticos want Alvarado to be our NT starter...but he still hasn't done anything to deserve that...especially over Navas who has been spectacular with both the NT and Saprissa in the last 3 years and is proving it so far with Albacete according to their fans (I'm not even a Saprissa supporter).

25. El_tri321mex

El_tri321mex Member

Oct 20, 2006
    berkeley
    Navas ? Im sorry but he is not better then Ochoa nor Michel ,
    Michel may lack the NT experience but is making a HUGE impact for Chivas ,

Just cause Navas participates with his NT doesn't necessarily make him better ,