Match 33|Mexico vs. Uruguay|22-06-10|Pre-match discussion

Discussion in 'GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France' started by Horsehead, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alphamale86

alphamale86 New Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Um what is to stop Mexico and Uruguay from mutually playing a lack luster performance to get a draw? I mean I get it they are playing for national pride but I think it would be smarter for them to draw and both qualify than to risk loosing and letting France sneak into the next round where they might eventually become a problem.

I know that doesn't seem fair but it would definitely be the more tactical move on both their parts.

2. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    both Mexico and Uruguay will pass

i kind of expect it to be a game of just going with the motions, both looking like they are satisfied with the tie. more so now with the huge mess that France is in and not knowing how they will come out and play against South Africa

3. El Gringo Ronaldo

El Gringo Ronaldo New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Irvine/Utrecht
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uruguay won the world cup in 1930 and 1950, that's two more than Mexico. In addition, the majority of Uruguay's squad play in European clubs, while Mexico's players participate in the mexican league (the majority of them).

4. PeanutFlush

PeanutFlush Member

Jul 8, 2009
    NoVa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing is stopping them. Mexico might want to win so they can avoid Argentina.

If the France-South Africa game is close and there is no chance the loser of this game will be eliminated, Mexico will probably push hard for a winner in the 2nd half (or Uruguay if they fall behind early). If France (ha!) or RSA get a 2 or 3 goal lead I expect this game to become 2 teams not crossing the halfway line.

5. thedesertfox

thedesertfox New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Wow Uruguay won the world cup in 1950 and 1930 when modern football began in like the 70s onward? Nobody cares that they won in those years, and nobody ever remembers those world cups because they where shitty. So are you going to go resurrect those players from those world cups or go back in time and bring them back to play this next game? Even if you did, they would get worked so badly. You are talking about the years when USA would take dishwashers and paper boys to the world cup. Do you even know what the hell you are saying?

Now on the topic of Uruguay having more players playing in the european clubs.....laughable. Is this even a point of argument? Look at New Zealand and Italy. Look at England and Algeria. Look at France and Mexico. The list goes on and on and not just in this world cups but in all types of games and competitions through out time. Please by all means, refrain from posting more nonsense.

Edit: Do you even know how competitive the Mexican league is? God I hate when people just blabber out stupidity thinking they know what they are talking about. Go sit in a corner.

6. papermache16

papermache16 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm if the goals scored tiebreaker is an issue in terms of France or South Africa sneaking in as second, they should just score on each other to make it 4-4 in the first ten minutes to end that tiebreaker situation...

7. El Gringo Ronaldo

El Gringo Ronaldo New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Irvine/Utrecht
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First of all, i was responding to the argument that Uruguay has not history. Those world cups were shitty? Some of the most memorable moments came from those world cup, for example the US victory over England in 1950 and the Maracanazo. Second, I am completely aware of how competitive the mexican league is. It's the fifth largest league in the world. It's a very technical and slow pace league, similar to the Italian league. But the league lacks high caliber players. I grew up watching the Mexican league since i come from a MEXICAN household.

Third, I have better things to do than to try to put down people with statements that do not have a concise and clear argument. So what about about New Zealand and Italy? or England and Algeria? Oh yeah, USA FTW this Wednesday!

8. NHFootyFan

NHFootyFan Member

May 28, 2007
    Outside Concord NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Greetings from 1982! Germany and Austria say hi!

9. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    You mean like you just did?

I always get a nice chuckle off the "that was a shitty tournament" argument, coming from a Mexican doubly so, as if you wouldn't boast about those titles if Mexico had won them, or any other relevant title for that matter.

10. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    If winning the world cup was so easy in 1930 and 1950, then why didn't your countries win it?

11. Piedraias

Piedraias Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    Califas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Uruguay is in the bag, folks. They are our little sons.

12. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Member

Sep 11, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple:

[​IMG]

13. thedesertfox

thedesertfox New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    No you where not responding to the history of Uruguay. You actually responded to another poster who said Mexico was better than Uruguay. Anyone who knows anything about football knows Uruguay have won two shitty world cups. I like how you tried to turn this around by denying your stupid statement and trying to turn it around. I also like how you wrote mexican in caps like it would make everything you said valid and right and somehow try to make me agree with you. hahaha

You mentioned how Uruguay had more players in european leagues thus somehow in your slow mental process it was thought out that this would make Uruguay superior. This is why I mentioned some examples on how stupid this statement was as well. The majority of New Zealand players play in much much lower quality leagues than the players from Italy yet they managed a tie. Same for Algeria etc., if you where too stupid to understand my point then I can't help you out there. Oh, and nice "USA FTW this Wednesday" trying to make it all seem ok that you have been called out on your bs.

My counties? I didn't know I had multiple nationalities. Well apart from two countries withdrawing from Uruguays group in 1950 and only having 1 game to qualify against the worst team in the tournament and only having 16 countries play the world cup? Maybe it was the fact that in 1930 the first world cup was held in Uruguay with only 13 teams participating that even United States made it to the semi finals? It's quite frankly pathetic that Uruguayans still hold on dear to those wins seeing that after rules where changed and real competition was introduced they failed to do anything else in a world cup.

When was the last time you ever sat down and put a tape of the world cup in 1930 anyways? I like how you said "coming from a Mexican" like every thing I say is nullified because I am one. Heck even 1966 was a decent tournament considering the English cheated to win it. How would you know if I would boast of a title? So you meet one mexican and you meet em all don't you?

I love the fact that some Uruguayans and Uruguayan co*k riders get all hot and bothered about something that is true. I never said the current Uruguay team is shit did I?

14. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Guys, lets keep it civil.

there is no need to demerit the accomplishments of Uruguay. It doesn't matter if they won the world cup in 1930 and 1950, they are still part of an elite group of countries who have won the world cup.

Lets not go out of our way to say Uruguay is shit, because they are not.

I think Uruguay's team is good, but is somewhat overrated. They tied France, and beat SA, those are good accomplishments, but lets look closer into those games.

They were lucky to get a tie with France, bunkering for the most part and hoping for lucky runs, almost similar to the U.S. style. With SA, they dominated, but the "3-0" was largely due to the SA goalkeeper being send off.

Mexico has been playing at a high level, but it has lacked the goals. They should have won the game vs SA, and they won convincingly vs France. Any objections regarding the validity of the goals do not matter, because they played good, and scored.

based on the way both teams have been playing, I would say Mexico is the better team. However, I must admit I'm biased, as our Uruguayan friends probably would be. I do not see Uruguay's players being better than Mexico... just rated higher because they have more European based players. I wouldn't change Mexico's defenders or mid-fielders for any Uruguayan, in the attack is quite different, but Mexico is working on that.

now, we also need to keep in mind that this game might not get the best out of both countries. Uruguay has demonstrated a good ability to bunker, and I don't see them risking more than they have to, considering that a tie will keep them in first place. In the case of Mexico, our style doesn't allow us to play for the tie. It is an offensive style, and we will always be in the attack, but even then, I don't see Mexico risking as much as they normally would do, considering France has the ability to destroy SA if they want to. It'll be worst considering SA's keep will be missing the game.

I hope I didnt offend Uruguay, I'm just giving my perspective.

15. IMperfect

IMperfect Member

May 6, 2009
    chicaligonia
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    :confused:

16. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Just like Mexico!

What exactly has Mexico achieved, at any point? Nothing. Besides being banned from participating in FIFA tournaments for cheating. Mexico was a filler team in the early days, remained one during the better part of the "modern football" era, becoming a decent team in the 90's.

Today's Mexico squad is the best you've ever had (at least according to another Mexican here), and it's about level with an Uruguay that's been on a downward spiral since the 70's, hit rock-bottom during the 90's and has only recently begun to crawl itself up. Forgive me if I'm not impressed.

Hardly. It's just precious to see someone who's team has never achieved anything disparaging the achievements of others. Is it ignorance or merely juvenile jealousy?

Based on the arrogance that spews from every word you type, yeah, I'd say you'd boast more than an Argentinean and a Brazilian put together. And I would imagine so would most of the other Mexicans here, the posts are testament to it, given how the majority cling to being runner-up's at Copa America's practically everyone else sent B or C squad's to, or bark out favorable results of meaningless matches without anything relevant at stake... :rolleyes:

17. luis_mx

luis_mx New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Falls church
    I wish good luck to our Uruguayan brothers, I'll be rooting against you but I hope Mexico gets through. History has shown that Uruguay is a past world cup champion and that merits respect in itself. To cling to history a day before the match for either side seems quite silly since tomorrow will be the day that new history is written in 90 minutes by 22 men. I hope for a great match!

18. thedesertfox

thedesertfox New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Who ever said Mexico has achieved more than Uruguay? Mexico has won Confederations cup, Sub 17 world cup, various gold cups, various pan american championships and so on but it is absolutely nothing to brag about to be honest. So as far as Mexico not winning anything, I proved you wrong in that sense. But then again Uruguays 2 shitty world cup wins is nothing to boast about or even bother to remember. I like how you are trying to teach me the footballing history of my own country, you go girl.

Nice to see how you believe everything one Mexican will say about our current squad and just roll with it regardless of being true or false. Really shows how you don't really know what the hell you are talking about. Hey I got an idea, since you seem pretty gullible (dont google that word, it means cool) Did you know that this squad used to drink its own pee before games? Yeah, that's why we are so good. Go on, spew your stupidity to the world champ! Don't forget to mention that its according to a Mexican so you don't sound as dumb or uninformed.

Are you remotely serious? How can I be jealous at such "accomplishments" made before my parents where even born? I'll be jealous of France for winning the world cup when they had to against decent opposition. To me being jealous of what Uruguay did in the stone age is like being jealous of native americans who had to hunt for food.

What can I say about this? Show me one post that shows me babbling on about a win we had? Please just one, prove me wrong will you? Until you do, don't talk out of your ass. :rolleyes: <--- cool smily face at end of post! I think I got him!

19. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I will not quote every sentence in this thread, but will explain, in my point of view some things:

1) Soccer History

2 World Cups (1930-1950)
    2 Olympics titles when world cups did not exist, so FIFA take those titles like "World Champions"
    14 Copas Américas times (record it shares with Argentina)

Peñarol has won:
    Copa Libertadores: 1960, 1961, 1966, 1982, 1987
    Intercontinental Cup: 1961, 1966, 1982
    Was elected the South America's best team of the 20th century by IFFHS.

Nacional has won:
    Copa Libertadores de América: 1971, 1980, 1988.
    Intercontinental Cup: 1971, 1980, 1988

Uruguay, with 3 million people is by far the smallest country in the world to have won a World Cup . (The second smallest country to have won the World Cup is Argentina with a total population of over 40 million people.)

We have so many shitty titles that we have one per citizen! They give me one in my 18 birthday! There is only a way to do that: Eat soccer, breathe soccer, and shit soccer. This is the reason about our titles being shitty.

2) Players
    Almost all the startings in our team has Champions or Europa League experience, being all starters: Muslera, Lugano, Godin, Fucile, both Pereira's, Perez, Suarez, Forlan. Cavani will have it next year, cause he earned it with Palermo. Our starters have 26.27 years average.
    And please, how compare Calcio with Mexican League... cmon. How much goals has scored Abreu there? He was top-scorer 4 times of his 7 years there.

3) Teamwork
    If something has proof the WC is that Teamwork is everything. This is the difference between individuals and teams. Im not saying we have better teamwork than Mexico, but neither team have all the chances of win the game.

20. thedesertfox

thedesertfox New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    Cool. I am glad for this but my argument is that despite whatever titles you may have or have won and what league your players play in, it doesn't mean Uruguay is better than Mexico. It's a very stupid assumption that people keep mentioning and bringing up. As if those players where still playing and winning titles. I still think the world cup wins are a pathetic excuse for an argument. This is what people don't understand be it thick headed or just plain ignorance. Besides, Mexico was invited into the Copa America and Copa Libertadores and Sudamericana decades after their installment. Well, except Sudamericana which started in 2002. Don't forget the discrimination we always face both racially and in terms of football.

21. erdons

erdons Member

May 1, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Do you guys know how many of Mexico's 11 starters play in Europe??

22. Killboard

Killboard Member

Sep 5, 2005
    Bolivar, Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Im not writing about which team is better. We will see that tomorrow. Im just writings fact in answer to some things that I read. i really want both teams clearing the group. And not discrimination of this side. By the way, in those olympic titles we won, we has the first black deportist in olympic games(José Andrade). That is history.

23. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Also, Uruguay made the semifinals in the World Cup played IN Mexico, while Mexico couldn't even make it out of the first round of the knockout stage.

24. Gonchi

Gonchi Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Juvenile jealousy it is. :rolleyes:

We're in FIFA World Cup > World Cup 2010: Group Play > GROUP A: South Africa, Mexico, Uruguay France > Match 33|Mexico vs. Uruguay|22-06-10|Pre-match discussion, in case you needed a clue on what we're discussing (Spoiler: World Cup). All you've proved is you're not worth the time it takes to hit reply. Kudos for getting me to do it 3 times.

25. Piedraias

Piedraias Member+

Feb 27, 2005
    Califas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think the Uruguayan assessment of their current squad is way way inflated.

All those titles, especially the Penarol copa libertadores (lol) will mean nothing when the two squads step on the field.