TV Carrires of World cup 2010 in foreign languages

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by wiswis, Apr 19, 2010.

1. wiswis

wiswis Member

Mar 27, 2004
    So far in the US we have the following broadcasters for the 2010 World cup:

English: ESPN Networks
    Spanish: Univision Networks
    Portuguese: ESPN Deportes
    Arabic: Aljazeera Sports (Dish Network)

Any news on any other languages?

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't there a channel in DC (or maybe a DirecTV exclusive??) that had the host broadcaster (German) in 2006?

3. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN3.com has a bunch of language rights including Portuguese and English

4. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    In 2006, Croatian TV service on AMC4 ("Home2US" - which is similar to Globecast) had the whole tournament from Croatian TV. With Croatia out of this year's world cup, I can only see Serbian TV doing something similar on the same sat.

There are many Korean channels on Globecast as well as Dish/DirecTV. That is a possibility. "My Sports Germany" on Dish could also show matches with German commentary.

Up in Canada where all the matches in English are on CBC (and their 'Bold network' for replays and overlaps), TeleLatino will show all the matches with either Italian or Spanish commentary. I remember Omni channel showing matches with Portuguese as well as other languages in the past. Not seeing any mention of that as of now. Maybe some of you from above can verify.

SA

5. DCExile

DCExile Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Setanta had the 2006 world cup in German, it was great. The commentators didnt say much more than the players names, so it was a better choice than the English or Spanish coverage.

6. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If i'm not mistaking, ESPN owns all broadcast rights (TV & Internet) in the US except for Spanish.
    I saw a quote from ESPN somewhere on these boards where and ESPN exec claimed they will try and get as many languages as possible on ESPN3.com

7. jhernandez86

jhernandez86 Member

Sep 22, 2004
    correction, The spanish rights are own by Univision which is going to broadcast all the games in HD.

ESPN currently has the english and Portuguese rights

8. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correction?

9. wiswis

wiswis Member

Mar 27, 2004
    Any confirmation for any more languages?

10. wiswis

wiswis Member

Mar 27, 2004
    AT&T U-Verse, Cox and DirecTV to Offer ESPN’s Coverage of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa in Mu

ESPN Offers Tournament to Affiliates in Arabic, German, Japanese and Korean

LOS ANGELES, CA – As part of ESPN’s multi-language coverage for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa in the U.S., ESPN has introduced a unique, collaborative program that will allow its affiliates to offer select matches from South Africa 2010 in other languages in the United States. This will mark the first time in its FIFA World Cup history, ESPN, in collaboration with affiliates, will offer live matches of the quadrennial tournament in languages other than English. The languages – Arabic, German, Japanese and Korean – can be accessed by a subscriber by making a simple adjustment directly on their set top box, by selecting the appropriate option in their on screen guide, or online via ESPN3.com.

In November 2009, ESPN announced that ESPN Deportes, the all-sports Spanish-language network, and ESPN3.com will provide Portuguese-language telecasts of 2010 FIFA World Cup, as part of its multi-language rights (except Spanish) in the U.S. for FIFA events through 2014.

"We are always looking for new ways to serve our fans and the World Cup presented the perfect opportunity," said David Preschlack, executive vice president, affiliate sales and marketing, Disney & ESPN Networks Group. "Our team has coordinated a lot of moving pieces to make this happen and we think the end result will help our affiliates serve their increasingly diverse constituents."

Schedules of matches available in each language will be announced closer to the beginning of World Cup on June 11. Instructions for accessing the various languages will vary depending upon provider.

Link: http://www.espnmediazone3.com/us/2010/05/att_u-verse_directv_2010_fifa_world_cup/

11. huhe888

huhe888 Red Card

Oct 3, 2007
    Re: AT&T U-Verse, Cox and DirecTV to Offer ESPN’s Coverage of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa i

Interesting to see ESPN, Inc. keeping the rights in Korean and Arabic (for ESPN3.com, DirecTV, Uverse, Cox) instead of sublicensing them to ethnic broadcasters who wanted them (i.e. MBC America or KBS America in Korean).

NBC sublicensed Korean-language rights to the 2008 Summer Olympics to MBC America. MBC America was rebranded "MBC NBC" during the Olympics.

12. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: AT&T U-Verse, Cox and DirecTV to Offer ESPN’s Coverage of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa i

ESPN wants to control their own garbage routes :)