Canadian MNT

Discussion in 'Canada' started by EPJr, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well in all heres hoping that someone in office is starting to shake things up. Canada needs to improves it overall function in the office, and overall its improvements on its players.

2. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Lord_ofthe_TFC New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

no the song remains the same up here..the CSA wont change policy..its too screwed up..thats why you wont see canada anywhere the world cup finals for a long time too come

3. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    As long as we can keep the Argos out of our National Soccer Stadium we should get games in May perhaps around World Cup with other countries who missed out on qualifacation. This team will change somewhat this year but it seems they prefer playing in Toronto. With a couple more games played they could settle in to a new home and get regular home games. With succesful home games $$$-wise, the CSA has one less excuse to keep staging friendlies.

I see steps in motion but I can see how short-sighted people can get impatient and support Brazil over their own country. Not naming names. Mighty.

4. holgers_heroes

Jul 25, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    It's gonna happen. A 30 million people country with the kind of resources that we have (non-soccer) can only stay down for so long. One thing we could use is a winner's mentality. Maybe when Canada sweeps the board in Vancouver 2010, that might feed the hunger for sporting glory in this country. Whatever the catalyst, things will change.

5. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Brazil was the first national team i watched in the 1970 World cups finals, they were brilliant and still are..the play the beautiful game beautifully!!
    Us fans of canada are losing or have lost any hope for the team, i wont say my support is gone forever but its nearing that point and it goes for a lot of other supporters as well.there is only so much ineptness a supporter can stand, it we want that stuff we could just easily watch the Maple leafs their inept in a much higher standard.

6. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This is the attitude Australia kept when they were in the doldrums a number of years ago in the same way we are now. Through this kind of attitude they have taken a massive step up, something we can replicate if we really want to.

They have no advantage that we don't have except that they chose action over endless complaining.

7. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada removes interim tag from Hart's title

[​IMG]

By Vijay Setlur
    TORONTO - Stephen Hart had the interim tag removed from his title as manager of the Canadian national team on Monday, given the job full time in the country's bid to return to the World Cup for the first time since 1986. General Secretary Peter Montopoli made the announcement at a news conference in downtown Toronto, formalizing the position the Trinidad & Tobago native was given in April.

"My role will be, No. 1, to assemble a staff and, No. 2, to present a team that is not only competitive, but understands what is required from all levels and to make the players understand that they are the ones that are responsible for putting Canada on the map," Hart said. "It will be our objective to focus on the CONCACAF qualifications for 2012. I have no qualms about experimenting, about using the CONCACAF Gold Cup competition to prepare towards this."

Hart, 45, already has had success since retaking the helm, leading Canada to the quarterfinals of Gold Cup in July before losing to eventual World Cup qualifier Honduras. This is Hart's second time as manager, having led Canada to a semifinal berth in the 2007 Gold Cup before losing to the eventual champion United States.

"The matter with which he handled the team at the CONCACAF tournaments, Gold Cup 2007 and 2009, strongly positioned him for this leadership role," Montopoli said.

"His strong technical knowledge and the respect he has within the Canadian soccer community and the style of play and knowledge of CONCACAF, which really at the end of the day is the qualifier for the World Cup…and I don't think there's no better person who has the familiarity with CONCACAF and leading our Canadian national team."
    Hart already has won four of his eight games in charge since April, losing three and drawing one. Canada won Group A at the Gold Cup and Hart has was won nine, drawn two and lost seven in his two stints as manager, the best winning percentage in CSA history.

Hart replaced Dale Mitchell, who was fired in March after Canada was eliminated from World Cup qualifying in the semifinal round.
    With the appointment, Hart relinquishes his role as the CSA's technical director, which he held since March 2008. Montopoli said the CSA will name a replacement early next year.

Besides approving Hart's elevation at its weekend meeting, the CSA's board set its 2010 budget, approved a new governance framework in principle and committed both men's and women's national teams to playing multiple home games in the same season for the first time in 11 years.

8. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Well stay tuned, my pessimist friend, because I believe we're on the eve of the next step of this explosion of growth for our game.

9. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    hey i hope your right..but i have been let down too many times to get the hope up again...Not to sure on Stephen hart for national team boss, maybe hes the cheapest guy the CSA could find...they should look at a quality in a manger not the cheapest.:mad:

10. rednow.red4ever

Mar 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It would truly disappointment if he struggles. Canada got shammed out of the final round by poor grouping and a mediocre coach. I think that the Canadian team, talent-wise, is one of the best we've ever seen...so now more than ever, it's time to step it up...

11. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

sorry the 86 team was the best...and could easily beat the current side!!

12. Fort York Redcoat

May 29, 2008
    Toronto
    Looking forward to the Jamaica friendly on Jan 31. It's unfortunate it wasn't scheduled on an international date but it'll give the MLS boys to get warmed up for their seasons and warmed up in Kingston.

C'mon you Reds!!!

13. Lord_ofthe_TFC

Dec 1, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

wow Jamaica again, are they the only contry willing to play us..well its a good holiday for all the CSA officers that will go down for some fun and sun and maybe care enough to take in a football match?

14. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Latest CONCACAF Rankings

[​IMG]
    Last Updated 03 Feb 2010
    Next Release 03 Mar 2010
    Ranking Zonal Ranking Team Pts
    Feb 10 +/- Ranking
    14 1 USA 963 0 -17
    17 2 Mexico 947 0 16
    34 3 Honduras 759 3 21
    45 4 Costa Rica 699 -1 -2
    57 5 Canada 567 -1 -6
    71 6 El Salvador 463 7 50
    77 7 Panama 406 -7 -63
    78 8 Jamaica 403 3 0
    84 9 Trinidad and Tobago 382 -2 -18
    95 10 Haiti 347 -5 -1
    125 11 Cuba 191 -6 -27
    126 12 Guyana 186 1 -5
    127 13 Antigua and Barbuda 184 3 8
    128 14 Barbados 171 1 -10
    131 15 Guatemala 164 -10 -41
    133 16 Grenada 158 5 13
    135 17 Bermuda 156 7 18
    142 18 Suriname 133 2 0
    155 19 St. Kitts and Nevis 106 1 0
    162 20 Nicaragua 92 -29 -73
    166 21 Puerto Rico 89 -1 2
    168 22 St. Vincent and the Grenadines 82 -16 -30
    169 23 Netherlands Antilles 80 -1 0
    174 24 Turks and Caicos Islands 45 3 0
    176 25 Bahamas 43 4 0
    179 26 Cayman Islands 39 4 3
    182 27 Dominica 38 15 26
    186 28 Belize 33 -13 -24
    187 29 St. Lucia 32 -1 0
    190 30 Dominican Republic 26 0 0
    191 31 British Virgin Islands 25 0 0
    198 32 Aruba 11 0 0
    199 33 US Virgin Islands 8 0 0
    203 34 Anguilla 0 0 0
    203 35 Montserrat 0 0 0

15. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chiva USA Defender Ante Jazic Named Canadian Captain

CARSON, Calif. — Wearing the captain’s armband for one’s national team is an honor that few players ever experience. On January 31, Ante Jazic became one of those players.
    The Chivas USA defender had been with the Canadian national team for a 2-week training camp in Florida when it was announced that he would captain the squad for the camp’s culminating friendly match against Jamaica in Kingston.
    [​IMG]
    “It was a wonderful feeling,” said Jazic of donning the captain’s armband for the first time. “Dwayne [de Rosario] was supposed to be the captain, but he pulled out of the match with an injury. At the team meal before the game, the coach said I was going to be captain. It was really nice.”
    The match marked Jazic’s 25th international cap for Canada. He made his debut for the side in a 1998 friendly match against Macedonia, and scored his first international goal 10 years later against Panama, on June 4, 2008.

16. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    not sure if you guys feel the same as me
    watching the olympic opening ceremony

i feel kinda sad that no canadian football player was about to take part in the torch

steve nash, rick hansen, wayne gretzky all have a chance

i would have hope to see de guzman or perhaps stalteri have a chance to raise the torch :(

17. Coach J

Coach J Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Port Moody
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Need to do or win something on the world stage ... (Hargreaves) :(

18. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    sadness...
    the only canadian (indirectly) that won english premier league + uefa champions league.

19. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Hargreaves is not Canadian, he said so himself.

But yeah, it would have been nice if a Canadian footballer had been included in the relay, deGuzman being the best choice in my opinion... or DeRo, or maybe since his brother was also involved, Martin Nash.

20. nfitz

nfitz Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Toronto
    No Canadian baseball players were involved either ... and no one who wasn't white; both could have been remedied easily!

21. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Hello there.

I noticed that for the last NT friendly/camp Carlos Rivas had been called up. I was just wondering if he had gotten into the game (vs. Ja., I think it was?)? And consequently, how did he do? Do you guys reckon he will be getting further chances with the NT, etc...?

Thanks in advance for any info. :)

22. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Canada's men's national team has announced that it will face Argentina in an international friendly match this 24 May at Estadio Monumental in Buenos Aires, Argentina. The match will be played as part of the bicentenary anniversary of the Revolución de Mayo, the early 19th century "May Revolution" that helped form Argentina into an independent nation. The 24 May match will be the first-ever meeting between the two men's national teams.
    [​IMG]
    "This is a landmark match for Canadian soccer," said national coach Stephen Hart. "To be invited to play Argentina in Argentina is a player's dream. They are simply one of the best teams in world football."

http://www.canadasoccer.com/tourney/FIFA_WC/national.asp?Press_ID=3977

23. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    kinda off topic:
    have any one realize argentina's playing style is VERY BORING under maradona?
    not the same attacking football anymore..

24. Polygong

Polygong Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'm actually in Buenos Aires right now, not far from El Monumental. Too bad I won't be around for the game though.

I mentioned this match to a few people down here. Of course, nobody had heard about it, but people have been gracious rather than mocking which is nice. Some even think that we have a sliver of a hope of winning (but only a sliver).

Of course, I'm not so optimistic, but hopeful that our lads will make as good a game of it as we did against Brazil a while back.

25. ecua_toriano

ecua_toriano Member

May 18, 2006
    QUITO, ECUADOR
    Club:
    Deportivo Quito
    According to reports in Ecuador, the MNT will play Ecuador in Toronto in a date to be confirmed in the coming week. Possible dates could be between the 8th and 15th of May.