USL on the block

Discussion in 'Austin Aztex' started by TwoMeters, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CplDaniel

CplDaniel Member

Jul 2, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. I'm afraid of this diluting the talent pool too much with a split.

2. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simple solution would have let the highest bidder and the majority of the clubs in USL1 buy the league in the first place. Not sell it to your low ball college roomie.

Therein lies the problem. Oh and really, really big egos.

3. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the record, this is a rumor from one source that didn't know what he was talking about, and has been spread all over the place, but has no basis in fact.

4. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After a little digging I think I found the source of it all.

Charleston has been talking to Papadakas about combining D1 and D2 and calling it something like USL Pro. If something like that doesnt happen out of this weekend, I you might see Charleston drop to D2 as I dont really see another choice.

Its not perfect combining the leagues and the league would have to subsidize some of the travel.

But with the recent developments its about the only way I see USL having a division 2 next year.

5. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would agree with what Mickey is saying. I have heard similiar things as well.

I'll take it another step and say USL Pro division might not be DIV 2 at all next year. Maybe just one Pro Division and it would be USSF's Div 3. :(

6. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Prime, you said it perfectly. In fact, why would anyone put their ego aside? I know I've been guilty of pride before.

7. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My day job is preventing me from writing a longer report now, but according to Phil, they are planning on being in the USL1 in the 2010 season, and have 8 teams scheduled to play in the league (including Austin). Charleston was not one of the 8.

10. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intriguing. Because what I have right now is:

Puerto Rico
    Rochester
    New York
    Austin
    Portland
    Cleveland?
    Minnesota?
    Detroit?
    Ottawa?

This all assumes that Rochester and Puerto Rico don't get cold feet. Rochester has actually said comments DURING the AOM suggesting they're thinking about it.

Two of those four will be going head-to-head with the NASL. Ottawa may not happen, because both USL and NASL teams are asking for the same venue.

Cleveland is still a complete and silent mystery.

Unless they're counting on forcing Tampa and Baltimore back into the fold. Which, while it makes sense legally, I don't see as a practical thing to count on.

This just sucks all around, because I see a grand total of four teams that can be counted on to make it through next season. And that's not enough stability to survive one season, let alone more of them. I don't blame Charleston in the least, and if we were closer to anyone, I think we should drop down as well.

In fact, I'm a little concerned that Phil may be too attached to promotion/relegation to see this as a business thing rather than a sporting thing.

As I just posted elsewhere, hopefully I'll stay away from the computer over Thanksgiving, and come back to find everything magically healed.

11. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    Thing is, the highest bid may not be the best bid (ditto the lowest bid, if you're bidding on a project or contract) . I don't know any details about the Nike-Nurock situation, but this is a fact.

12. DavidP

DavidP Member

Mar 21, 1999
    Powder Springs, GA
    How much you want to bet (well, not really bet, but..) that both the USL and TOA/NASL/Whatever the call themselves play, this year, both have seasons bordering on financial disaster (more the TOA than the USL, especially with Atlanta and Miami in the mix), and meet this time next year to have a big "kiss and make up" session, and proceed as a united front for 2011? :rolleyes:

13. adoptedsooner

adoptedsooner Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Norman
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me, but at this point little else would.

14. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TOA and USL, is Everything Exploding or Imploding?

Tim Holt, now President of the USL told Kenn Tomasch in an interview (audio) last spring, “The owners of USL-1 teams who are pursuing Major League Soccer is not a desirable situation for us. It doesn’t help us in stability as a league.”

“We can either sit around and say, well, we can let this happen over time or we can continue to try to evolve the business model in USL-1 that it’s such a viable alternative to MLS that certain ownership groups would prefer to stay in USL-1 and be able to run their professional soccer franchise rather than be part of MLS. Our models are very different,” continued Holt.

The TOA has made statements that they feel they should be competing against MLS and not accept themselves as a seconded tiered league, even though they are asking to be a second tier league to MLS! The application to USSF was as a 2-Division league. Also, Holt has said he is looking at cities that would not be MLS desirable.

Holt further explained, “A market like Austin, Texas is a perfect market for USL-1… somewhere between 20 through 50. That’s not a market that MLS is likely to expand into any time in the near future.”

It is also said that the TOA wants their league to do more marketing where the USL currently believes the league is a minor league and needs to operate as such, being fiscally responsible and not spending exorbitant amounts of money on players and advertising and living within their means.

15. mrjabba

mrjabba New Member

May 17, 2008
    Austin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this talk of NASL and MLS-2 has me thinking about our region's soccer markets.
    This is the time for big ideas. So here is some fun.

I know these are "small markets" but this list is so intriguing to me.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population
    After Houston, the 4th largest city in the US, you get Phoenix 5, San Antonio 7, San Diego 9.
    Those are all cities of 1.2-1.5 million people each.

So has anyone ever thought of something like this?
    Instead of MLS-2? MFL-2? :) Or whatever acronym/catch phrase you like best.

MLS consists of US and Canadian teams. What would be the implifications of a Mexican owned league north (and maybe also south) of the border?

Imaginary Southwest League called the "Sonoran League"
    Don't call it the "Snorin League" :)

- San Diego
    - Tijuana
    - Las Vegas
    - Phoenix
    - Albuquerque
    - Austin
    - El Paso
    - Ciudad Juárez
    - San Antonio
    - Chihuahua

Each of these cities have certain things in common:
    - Proximity, regional, furthest distance is prob 3 hr plane flight or less?
    - Culture, southwest culture. a common bond of language, weather and food
    - Multi-lingual - all cities have diverse english/spanish speaking populations
    - "Small Markets" - no one city is significantly larger than the other (example: Columbus vs NYC)

It's only 10 teams. I don't know how exciting a 10 team league would be. But, think of the derbies in this one:
    San Diego vs Tijuana, El Paso vs Ciudad Juárez, Austin vs San Antonio. That's 3 very exciting local rivalries I'd want to see.
    And, I know Austin has a team in USL-1. God I hope he we have a team playing something next season!

Effectively USL-2 is league just like this but in the Northeast US.
    Bermuda
    Charlotte
    Baltimore
    Harrisburg City
    Pittsburgh
    Real Maryland
    Richmond
    Western Mass
    Wilmington
    Hardly one of those is west of the Appalachian Trail.

Maybe this league could be combo East/West league at a D-2/D-3 level?
    They could play a regular season locally (to save on travel expenses).
    Then have a playoff league in a spring/fall combination ala Apertura and Clausura.

The point is there are plenty of people in these markets to watch and follow soccer.

What's your personal favorite league structure?

http://twitter.com/mrjabba

16. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS2? Never heard of it.

17. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Years ago, there were a few people (one in particular) that thought MLS would never work, and the more sensible idea would be for LA to have a team in the Mexican league.

Now, however, MLS is established.

The biggest issue with your idea, though, is that there is already an established Mexican league. Not just the top division, but a lower division as well (and maybe more, I don't really know much about football on the other side of the river). So neither FIFA, nor the Mexican Football Federation would allow any Mexican teams in any league outside of that.

There are very, very, very, very few exceptions to the FIFA rule of 'leagues have teams from only one nation' setup. Canada/US -- because there wasn't a top Canadian league, and the two federations were OK with it. A Welsh team or two -- others can come up with the specific examples. I don't remember them.

Suffice to say that it will never work because neither FIFA nor the Mexican Football Federation will allow it. And, at this point, I think the USSF wouldn't allow it either.

Interesting idea, though, and fun for an alternate universe.;)

18. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rochester to TOA/NASL 2.0

http://www.rhinossoccer.com/news.php?id=1233

As the dominos continue to fall, I'm starting to really worry the Aztex might not have a league to play in next year unless they do the same.

ugh.

19. mgrayscale

mgrayscale Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Buda, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not worried that they won't have a league to play in, I'm just worried that it will be a league that is a patchwork of teams. Specifically, a league that is formed of the USL2 teams and those in USL1 that are left (which is decreasing with every day). With this many USL1 teams going to NASL, I'm beginning to believe that (with the information I have) going to NASL may be the best choice.

20. VioletCrown

VioletCrown Member+

FC Dallas
    United States
    Aug 30, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYP.

I think this pretty nearly settles things. All that needs to happen is for the USSF to officially put the rubber stamp on the NASL's forehead.

I find it a sad ending to a long history, and I have my fingers crossed that the NASL will work. Nervous times. I feel happy for my brother fans in the MLS cities that they're spared from this queasy feeling.

21. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USL-2 is, and what's left of USL-1 is becoming, a mid-Atlantic regional league. I'm worried that Austin and P.R. will be the odd men out in a patchwork USL. I have to wonder if the teams left will be able to afford to play with Austin and Puerto Rico.

22. moeron15

moeron15 New Member

Jun 18, 2009
    Iowa City
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rhinos just made the jump to NASL/TOA today. I hope this whole thing hashes out so that we get to play against you guys again this summer. I'd hate to miss out on tasting some of that AAA you've got brewing =).

23. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought these comments by Kartik Krishnaiyer on Twitter (@kkfla737) were interesting. Might be Pollyannaish but maybe this whole mess will turn out make sense, after all:

"So basically the good work of USL will continue without having the burden of running a full nat'l professional league."

"The NASL can focus on running a real professional league which USL was not, while USL continues its good development/youth work. Win/Win."

24. TwoMeters

TwoMeters Member

Jan 27, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Though on second thought, that's kind of a drag for a club like the Aztex, who are fielding a development team and a pro team... :(

25. kingqueso

kingqueso Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Phil and co., get your ass off of this sinking ship as fast as you can. NASL clearly has all the momentum right now, and with Rochester switching sides...that says all I need to know about the once mighty USL-1.

I know there are some serious questions about Minnesota, Tampa, and Baltimore but still, look at the situation with Cleveland, are they going to play in USL-1 next year? Highly unlikely. FC New York only exist on paper. And I don't think all of those USL-2 teams are going to be real interested in making the expensive trips to Austin and PR. Furthermore, I don't want to see Austin play in what would be a defacto 3rd division league next year.

I was on the fence before, but now I would like to say hello NASL, you are lookin' so good tonight!