Frankie Hejduk and the Free Beer Movement

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Frankie likes soccer. We like soccer. Frankie likes beer. We like beer. Frankie has flowing locks. We have...er.... hair, too."

SEEMS LIKE A NATURAL TO ME

[​IMG]

2. Dave Brull

Dave Brull Member

Mar 9, 2001
    Mayfield Hts, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm for it but do we have to drink Bud Light like Frankie?

3. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would be a great TIFO.

4. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    A vote for Frankie is a vote for beer. You wouldn't vote against beer, would you commie?

5. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frankie came here to do two things... Kick some ass and drink some beer. Looks like he's almost out of beer.

6. suspenders1964

Mar 4, 2000
    how much is bail?

7. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does this have anything to do with the random guy on the side of the street in Columbus near Crew Stadium with a "Free Beer" sign? I've seen him the last few times I've gone to games.

8. Free Beer Movement

Free Beer Movement New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for throwing the link up here Bill. A few clarifications:

1) The Free Beer Movement has no association with the random guy with the "free beer"sign, although if he wanted to join the FBM he is more than welcome. We don't deal with splinter groups well...

2) Bud Light is not mandatory. In fact, it is frowned upon. FBM members can drink whatever they like (Gasp! It doesn't have to be beer... shots, wine, etc is fine.)

3) We're serious about the "recruit Frankie" idea so any way to help push this onto Frankie would be great help. Let us know.

4) Thanks for the good press. Tell your fellow American soccer fans and join up!

The Free Beer Movement is all about promoting the idea of bringing more Americans to American soccer game so next time you're headed to Crew Stadium bring someone new, buy them a beer, and convert them to the American soccer cause.

Join the FBM!

9. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Does anyone but me find it ironic that the guy who is probably the coolest soccer player America has ever produced (and arguably its greatest ever right back) has chosen to ply his trade here in C'bus. A city most people look upon as provential but those of us who know realize is one of the coolest cities in the country.

And you can NEVER go wrong with free beer. Beer rocks and so does Frankie.

11. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know much about Columbus as a city but one thing you can see is that the players and fans seem to have a stronger connection than in the other markets. I can't back it up but by facts but no where else in the league does a suspended player tailgate and then sit with the supporters.

Buy a free beer for someone new and pack the house. I love the idea! Wish I could be there. Gotta love the Crew!

12. Free Beer Movement

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Free Beer Movement can work anywhere. No matter where you are in the US we need soccer fans to take it upon themselves to spread their love of American soccer to others.

Today is the perfect day for that. The US National Team is playing (albeit minus our man Frankie), but we can use today and Wednesday (against T and T) as "Free Beer Match Days" to take new potential fans and expose them to soccer.

Where ever there is soccer there is a chance for the Free Beer Movement to exist. We want Crew fans, we want Cleveland City Stars fans, and dare I say it, Galaxy, Fire, and other fans to join us in spreading their love of soccer. Only with greater exposure, and with free beer, can American soccer grow.

Spread the FBM on the Big Soccer Message Boards and head over to our site.

Any other ideas how we can make this movement better, e-mail us at freebeermovement@gmail.com

13. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except Moronto. They can suck big floppy donkey and pay for every one of their $12 Carlsbergs.

14. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SPeaking of which someone said that Brian Carroll spent some time last game over with the degenerates in the North Corner (I'd call it the Nordecke but I don't want to owe anyone money.) (Oh, you know I kid.)

Did anyone talk to him?

15. bob.os

bob.os Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Clintonville
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's spelled C-O-L-U-M-B-U-S when you are Massive. The other way if you are a hiptard.

16. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't heard that before. Good for Carroll. Hopefully other players don't begin to get hurt or suspended just so they can hang out with the supporters.:)

17. heithem

heithem New Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw BC at the Union tailgate before the game. He just walked up and said hello. We made sure he had beer (at one point he had one in each hand). He had a scarf from La Turbina so I asked around if we could get him a Union scarf . . . we decided to be different and give him a t-shirt instead. We talked about his injury (his shoulder has this obvious extra lump that is hard to not look at) - he said it doesn't hurt most of the time. Other random things were discussed, including dislocated shoulders. At that time he was undecided about visiting the Supporters' Sections during the game. Maybe he and Frankie have started a new tradition - visit the tailgates and the Supporters' Sections when you're suspended! I love this team!

18. CrewBeat

CrewBeat Be Massive My Friends

Jul 27, 2004
    Manhattan
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to Studio79

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Is he old enough to drink?

20. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He may not look it, but he's 28 lol

21. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He doesn't look a day over Garyn.

22. Free Beer Movement

Aug 29, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey All -

We just launched the OFFICIAL drive to "Recruit Frankie" as the Free Beer Movement's spokesperson.

Head over to the site: http://freebeermovement.blogspot.com/2009/09/recruit-frankie-petition-and-e-mail.html

1) Click the link to sign the petition.

2) E-mail Columbus Dispatch writer Shawn Mitchell to ask Frankie about the Free Beer Movement. (e-mail link on the site)

3) Put our "campaign poster" on your site!
    Thanks!

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    classic