Rumor: Venezuelan forward (Renteria) to Crew?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by JB the First, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emilio Renteria, a 24 year-old striker currently with Caracas FC is supposedly coming to Columbus. He has 9 goals in 16 caps with their national team, and spent time with Levante FC in Spain. Spanish Wiki Page

A Caracas FC news story from July 14 said he signed on for another year, but this blog posting from today says it seems he has reached an agreement with Columbus.

Not sure I believe it, but it's an interesting rumor.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwkOpYKyChU"]YouTube - CARACAS FC VS DEPORTIVO CUENCA, GOLAZO DE EMILIO RENTERIA[/ame]

2. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Venezuelan forward to Crew?

Two Argentinians, two Venezuelans...do we sign nationalities in twos now?

3. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. moop7

moop7 New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what a shot!, so this website is confirming that he already signed with the crew? i didnt even hear any news of him being here

5. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Someone tell him he has to pick a different number. 7 is already taken and will never be worn again after the current holder.

6. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

From some Venezuelan boards:

-His nickname is El Venado (the deer)
    -He is a work rate/physical ability kind of player, more than one who relies on technical ability. I read some comparisons to Moreno, and I read some that said he would excel because MLS is based more on athleticism, and that's his predominant strength. Sounds like the kind of player most on here have been begging for.

7. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Easy nickname to work with as far a tifo goes:

[​IMG]

Seems like he's a power guy as opposed to a speed guy. Good. We need someone that can strike fear in a keeper from 25 yards out. Right now, I see this as depth for CCL, but maybe next year he'll compete for starting minutes. Give him a few months to adjust to the MLS game and then we'll see what he have here. Only thing I don't like is that we'll probably lose both him and Ale when the Fighting Hugo's play a match.

8. WTAMUCrew

WTAMUCrew Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Amarillo
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I saw that a little earlier on mls-rumors but I never have put much stock in that site. The guy looks like a beast and is still young. The only question I have is why another forward when we seem to be pretty well stocked at that position.

9. clevelandstoker

Aug 12, 2004
    Youngstown, OH
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

We've got Champions League coming up. We'll need all the help we can get to keep guys fresh.

10. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Venezuelan Es Futbol is one of their top sites and it's reporting he is in Havana, Cuba with Caracas FC in preseason training and will be joining the Crew right away.

Very nice signing, more like it. Young, talented, Copa Libradores experience sure helps us in Concacaf Champions League. Very nice timing. Good age as well.

I would not be surprised if they played a Moreno and Renteria line during Champions League weeks for Champions League games and then during those weeks a Garey and Lenhart line for league games. Why not? Garey and Lenhart have proved they are not much, if any, of a drop off.

I also think this confirms, if he does sign with us, that Warzycha will be going with two natural strikers by dropping one defender somewhere.

Also, I put some of them through translators on here. Since there are like 8 to 10 websites saying this I would not be surprised if this had some weight to it.

http://crewonespot.blogspot.com/2009/07/72609-crew-to-bolster-their-side-by.html

Glad Jatta and Kimoto fell through. This is far more like it.

The club should start a Crew TV, like Arsenal or something. May get some interest from Venezuela and Argentina now, lol.

Anyways, if Ekpo can get focused and get some stamina(his last 30 minutes the other night was brillant) we are in a real good place folks, with Moffat back too. I think we have a real chance in Champions League.

Also, seems he will warm up to the Nordecke, lol. Caracas FC seems to have some good support.

11. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, I like the player if we have indeed signed him.

But I think forward is one spot where we do have adequate depth. However, if you take Guille out of the equation, then we are down to three, but they are a solid three.

I'd say lets use the other roster spot to bolster the wings.

I also think playing 3-5-2 is an interesting option, with two CM's behind Guille and 2 forwards up top. DC has been pretty successful playing that way, and to a lesser extent, New England.
    However, it clips Frankie's wings a bit, and its really hard for me to justify sitting Danny O'Rourke right now (or Brunner) as they seem the most likely to be benched.

12. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I love how the spanish papers and sites always Translate "Crew" like gangsters and thugs and not like work crew. :D

13. Crewster

Crewster Member+

Jan 28, 2005
    Worthington
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fighting Hugos. Love it.

Sorry I can''t rep you again, Mike.

14. moop7

moop7 New Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

this is starting to look like a legitimate signing, im excited especially now that our champions league chances look better with a deeper lineup

15. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A weekly fan-produced version is in the works. It's still in the very early planning stages but we hope to be able to roll it out for the 2010 season opener. Still lots of things that could derail it, so I don't want to give too many details out right now. Look for an announcement in 60-90 days. :p

16. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Cool, good luck. Is the club running it or a group? Just wondering.

Hopefully not ONN. :D

I also hope to do something similiar, not as elaborate. But, just buy a nice video camera and make game day videos and maybe get a press pass next year as well and do some interviews. But, that all depends on if I can go to games weekly next year. I'm moving back home to PA on Friday. Could have stayed here if I found a real job, only option is back home so far. But, I still plan to put applications in continuously in Columbus through Monster and etc. Only been unemployed for 20 days, but lease runs up end of the month. :(

All depends on whether my best job lead now gives me Saturday's off on the schedule.

17. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ha. No, definately not ONN. My hope is that with a completely fan-produced product we can embarrass ONN into doing a better with their coverage. Again, I don't want to get too much into it here. But I think that if we're able to pull this off, the masses will be please.

18. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My only reservation about this news is that there have been no quotes from anyone. Obviously not a sign that it's just a rumor, but these things can pick up steam very quickly on the internet, then fizzle out if the player doesn't pass physicals, can't get a permit (like Ogbonna last year), etc.

Maybe something tomorrow or the next day once the press pick up on it. I guess when the "basement-dwelling nerds" of the internet break a story, it's hard to get quotes :D

It will be interesting to see how much money we give this guy. One of the articles I read said he had offers from clubs in Chile and Argentina. I wonder if we are done with our signings, or if we're targeting another person? Someone who can play wing would be nice...

19. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, ONN's video quality is embarrassing and they could probably replace Beau Bishop with any fan.

But, yeah not the place for it, back to the new striker talk. :)

20. OU9601

OU9601 Member

Jul 12, 2003
    Lancaster, Ohio

The man with the 411, Mitchell, channels his inner Lee Corso...

Not so fast, my friend

Well, that was fun while it lasted. We can now toss him in with Magic Z from Celtic, that kid that Colorado just cut who scored all those goals in that game last year, and that midfielder from Guatemala we've "signed" three or four different times.

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dammit Mitchell!!!1

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InHgWFrQRbI"]YouTube - MST3K - Favorite Moments - Mitchell[/ame]

22. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Mike I've tried to rep you every time you post MST3K clips, but it just keeps telling me to spread (which I have been feverishly.)

Your circulation of one of TV's greatest shows is not going unnoticed...

23. JB the First

JB the First Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The qualifier there is "unless he shows up for a trial." The story about him signing a one-year extension came out a week and a half ago, and all the Venezuelan stories about him coming to Columbus popped up today.

SOMETHING had to have gotten that rumor going, whether it was just someone who heard that we had looked at him leading to an internet snowball effect, or a substantial story that the press just doesn't have any quotes from because it's being kept quiet by both clubs.

24. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Moreno was selling the Crew to Renteria while on national team duty, and was probably video taping some footage for Bliss, you know, to keep down the scouting/travel expenses due to HSG's recession cutbacks.

25. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You want to see him in a trial. Check out his videos. This isn't Kimoto or Jatta. This guy actually could help.

But, hey whatever, glad the only true rumors were the Jatta and Kimoto ones. As I'm just comforted that that's the best we can get with our $250,000.

Maciej Zurawski and Guillermo Barros Schelotto didn't need a trial. Just looking at the guy in the video I would doubt he would turn into a total dud. But, whatever.