US-Brazil, the coaching, subs, and tactics (R)

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by superdave, Jun 18, 2009.

1. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's halftime.

A coach's #1 priority is to prepare his team to compete. We were not competing. We were not ready to perform. How in hell does a team mail in a performance against Brazil???

It's the kind of performance that makes you wonder if there's something that has gone horribly wrong behind the scenes.

2. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    I think Bob has lost the team. We look unprepared and unmotivated nearly every game. Do the players have confidence in Bob?

3. NYCfan

NYCfan New Member

Aug 25, 2006
    NYC, New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley's in over his head. Coaching against Bermuda and St. Kitts can only hide it for so long.

4. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    A joke in every respect. Every, single, respect.

5. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Dear Sunil,

I hope you are watching these Confederation Cup games and can appreciate the embarrassment our performance has been. I also hope you take personal responsibility for your part in it.

The good news is in the long run, nobody really cares about this tournament. Fans of US Soccer will look back on this with disgust and a horrible taste in their mouth, but we do so with the perspective that it is the World Cup that matters. And here is where the news truly becomes good. You have now seen that our coach and his staff cannot prepare a team to compete at this level, but you have a year to make a change before the World Cup.

Please make the courageous choice and replace Bradley immediately. I'd like to recommend Dominic Kinnear, a coach who knows our playing pool, who himself has played international soccer, who has won 4 MLS Cups as a coach, and who once again has his team playing the best soccer of any US Team. While Kinnear would be my choice, what I believe truly matters is you make an attempt to improve the situation. There are multiple coaches who outperformed Bradley domestically, and there may be foreign options you would consider, too. At the end of the day, what I hope is that this tournament has opened your eyes to the reality that the status quo is unacceptable.

Thanks,

Fans of US Soccer

6. FijiUnited

FijiUnited Member+

Feb 21, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can this topic exist when none of those things were present in the game?

7. Sebring98

Sebring98 Member

Jun 20, 2002
    Lansdale, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Bob

U R a n00b.

kthanxbye.

8. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

How the players can look this unmotivated over multiple games is beyond me. Throw in his confounding player selections and inability to choose a proper formation, and he has earned an EPIC FAIL.

9. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    That's what I'm thinking. 0-3 and the guys are jogging around in our own half watching Brazil pass it around. Uninspired.

10. i giallorossi

i giallorossi Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Adu, no Torres vs. Beasley, Feilhaber, Casey...

What. The. Hell.

11. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Please defend Bob Bradley's failure to use a 3rd sub at the end of a game you've lost in a tournament that is supposed to be providing your players experience as they prepare for the rest of qualifying and the World cup.

someone.

I dare you.

12. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    90th minute and (I think) we still have 1 sub left.

Does Bob not want to get a look at one of the other guys?

13. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two red cards and 5 goals conceded in 2 games. That's some disciplined soccer there. Bob Bradley is a donkey.

14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    STRIKE TWO

One more to go and I think it will be worse than this one

15. aaronbrown

aaronbrown Member

May 6, 2004
    San Diego
    No way US Soccer has the balls to fire Bradley a year out from the World Cup. I'd be surprised if Sunil expresses disappointment to the press following this showing.

16. i giallorossi

i giallorossi Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have seen three USMNT games in the last few weeks (missed the Hondo game), and I have seen us outscored 9-2 with both our goals coming off pennos.

I am legitimately worried that we cannot score in the run of play. How can you possibly be worried about that at this level, at this point this close to the WC? Bob Bradley everyone!

17. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are a better team than this, but this is still Brazil, and Bob is still tinkering.

Here are my observations:

1. We were flat from the begining, it seemed like Brazil had 20 guys on the field, and we were doing alot of ball watching, not tracking, and well alot of guys on flat feet. Bob should have done better here, brining in fresher faces after the game against Italy where we played a man down. Guys were tired.

2. Klesjtan. I am a big apologist for this guy, but he was horrible, did nothing all day but effectively kill all our chances.

3. The card maybe was harsh, but Bob needs to do something about the lack of discipline on the team. 2 games, 2 red cards, amazing

4. The defense looks solid for what they had to face and a limp midfield. Spector did well at times, Gooch was all over the place, Demerit solid, and Bornstein had his moments.

5. I have also been defending Beasley alot. I kept thinking he was going to shake off the funk. But after today I think we don't need to see Beasley again till he gets serious and effective minutes in Europe again. His mistrap ended the game and he did nothing else.

18. FnordUnitedFC

FnordUnitedFC Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indefensible not to use the 3rd sub to get someone some playing time. The Feilhaber for Altidore sub was just to keep the score down. How is Beasley even still considered an option?

The players he picks don't play for him anymore. The players he won't pick don't have a chance to play. As the stats have shown, we have tried the most long balls in the tournament and have the worst success rate in completing them.

Useless, completely useless.

19. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Member

Jan 29, 2009
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, not to defend it (I definitely think he should have used the third sub), but I'm not sure anyone would be able to make any kind of decent evaluation about a player inserted into that game. It's 3-0, and both teams are just jogging around. I'm not going to jump off a building because the third sub didn't get used.

20. Raulduke

Raulduke New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    My thoughts as well. Hell, Brazil is up 3-0 and playing well and they used all their subs.

Once again, all you guys putting Beasley and Sacha in their starting lineups, please step up and admit you were wrong about these guys again.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He puts some players on the bench after one mistake (Torres, Wynne) while others who play horribly or show lack of effort or selfishness are always run out there (Beasley, Kljestan, Demspey).

He didn't even use all three subs. Pathetic. What is he afraid of, Torres, Adu, or Davies getting in the game and making him look a fool?

He makes AT least one tactically stupid move a game.

a. Costa Rica. 4-3-3 at Saprissa? With Wynne making his first start at RB in a WCQ, and Beasley trying out a new position at LB? Putting LD as the #9 and Jozy at LW, thus providing less cover for Beasley. And, putting Torres and Wynne in difficult situations in their first starts. And pulling Torres at halftime.

Meanwhile, Beasley plays like crap, as does Mastroeni, and Kljestan jogs around the pitch, yet no doghouse for them.

b. Honduras. Clark/Mastroeni in midfield after Pablo's horrid performance, in a combination we know stinks. More conservative at home than on the road? Finally, he puts Feilhaber in, and the match changes.

c. Italy. After Benny plays great at CM, Bradley lines him up on the outside. LD is switched again, this time to the middle, where he played played pretty well. Still, the Benny move was a head scratcher.

d. Brazil. Again, back to Kljestan/Bradley CM pairing (with no distribution). He recognized this and puts a CAM in there, but he chooses Dempsey instead of Donovan (who played well in that spot last game), or Torres, or Adu, or Feilhaber. And then he doesn't use all his subs. Plus, Conor Casey comes in and shows no effort. He should never be back again.

To review, in CM. Feilhaber plays well vs. Honduras, but gets moved wide. Donovan plays pretty well as a CAM vs. Italy, then he puts Dempsey in there.

WTF?

Again, not using all three subs in this situation is unforgivable.

22. Dignan

Dignan Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Granada
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure its indefensible. And I am not sure what putting someone on in the last minutes of a dead game is going to do for their confidence.

I mean really who wants to play in that game?!?!?

I am not defending Bob, the team looked horrendous today and he is responsible.

I am more thinking about the players and that actually no on wanted to play in that game.

23. Raulduke

Raulduke New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Why don't you just admit you were wrong, Beas and Sacha being included in the starting lineup was a terrible mistake and BB needs to go.

24. rollo

rollo Member

Mar 11, 1999
    San Francisco
    Over the 2 games:

The Good - Altidore, Donovan, M Bradley, Spector, Gooch
    The Bad - Casey, Beasely, Dempsey, Bornstein
    The Ugly - B Bradley

Held his own - Demerit, Feilhaber, Howard
    Up and Down - Kljestan, Clark, Davies

25. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    There's no point in even analyzing this. We were doomed the minute the lineup was announced

We have poor coaching, poor subbing and no tactics. End of story