W. Palacios, the priciest single-fee CONCACAF'er ever?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by La-H, Mar 12, 2009.

1. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    This according to a recent FIFA article:

"Palacios became a firm favourite at the JJB Stadium from the off. His determination to win every loose ball and his distribution skills quickly made him one of the most popular players in the side, with the fans dedicating various terrace chants to him. They were not the only ones who were impressed, either, and eventually Tottenham Hotspur lured him down to London at a cost of around £15m, the largest ever fee paid for a player from the North, Central American and Caribbean zone."

Full article here: http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/newsid=1036608.html

I don't believe the £15m, most sources have agreed it was an estimated £14m fee Tottenham paid Wigan, though I do believe he is the most expensive single transfer ever from CONCACAF.

Please discuss, and let's try to keep this one on topic.

ding-ding
    -ding, Round 1 begins.... :D

Cheers!

2. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I believe it.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nery Castillo for 20 million euro's in the summer of 2007.

Depending on whether it was £15m or £14m and taking into consideration that many of the currencies have depreciated due to the current economy.

I would say it's around the same price.

A dollar is worth more today than tomorrow.;)

4. edcalvi

edcalvi Moderator
    Staff Member

Olimpia
    Guatemala
    May 1, 2005
    US
    Amazing!! especially for a Central American.

5. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    How much did his transfer cost, the--at the moment it actually took place? ;) :)

6. La-H

La-H Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Northeast
    Didn't Nery pay some of his own money to join Manchester City? If so, how much?

7. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The exchange rate at the time Castillo was bought was 1GBP=1.48Euros ($27.4m) and 1GBP=1.07Euros at the time of Wilson Palacios, but I'd say the Castillo transfer was probably a bit more expensive becaue the pound has been on a downward spiral since last year and the Palacios transfer was actually £12m (plus incentive), according to the London Stock Exchange. But we can all agree that Palacios is worth his tranfer fee.

http://www.londonstockexchange.com/LSECWS/IFSPages/MarketNewsPopup.aspx?id=2073414

On a side note, the US dollar has gain on every major currency in the past 6 months and since the European banking system, and the economy overall, is a lot worst than here the dollar should continue to gain strenght (maybe even reaching parity with the pound) for the rest of the year making it the safest currency for the forseeable future.

8. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    If we're gonna consider past/present/future values of any given currency, we might as well not even consider discussing this. ;) :)

9. silverlion

silverlion Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the point of discussing numbers if we can't talk about their real value? That's the whole point of the thread, was the Palacios transfer the priciest in Concacaf ever? If you want to know the answer to the original question then you need to look into it, how else do you come up with a real, and correct, answer?

10. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    By looking up the value that the transfer had at the time it went down.
    If we're gonna calculate how much an actual transfer was gonna be worth, or will be worth because of currency variations, we'll be here forever and won't get anywhere.

How much was paid for Castillo at the time he was bought by Shaktar D.?
    How much was paid for Palacios at the time he was bought by Spurs?

Cut and dry.

11. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Cut and Dry?

You ask Colo Colo if they want to get payed in Pounds, Euros, Dollars or Pesos?

If they want to get payed today, tomorrow, in a year, or two?

It matters. Plenty of people around the world make alot of money in currency trading every day.

I think that within a ten year frame it is possible to compare without getting into too much speculation.

We should also compare futbol Cut & Dry over the past years.;)

12. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Can anyone tell me how much Blanco would be worth today in what was paid for him when he went to Spain? I would like to know the value not only in dollars, but Deutsch Marks, Francs, Italian Lira, colones, Chilean pesos, euros and Swedish Korona. Not only that but I want to know how much he would have been worth 30 years ago (in all those currencies), and how much he would be worth in 30 years time, as well (please take into consideration current inflation rates, as well as the price of gold and silver and potential wars that may make certain resources scarce).

:)

13. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Blanco left on a LOAN to Spain. PWNT:p

14. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    There was money involved.
    Did you do your research yet?

Yea, sit back down, please. :)

15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know what you mean Metro about not getting into too much detail because it is a Futbol Forum.

I think that my post was reasonable enough to be understood without being a economics major.

The economic breakdown that has occurred over the past months is something that I thought should be considered because it is a Major Issue.

If nothing major had occurred over the past 5 years then I would have never mention it.

16. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Fair enough, bro: I didn't mean to come across as a d!ck. :p

But if we start taking into consideration past events and future "what ifs" when dealing with a transfer's value, we're never gonna be able to settle on anything.

Just answer the question:
    how much was Nery Castillo worth (in whatever currency he was bought), at the time he was bought?

Carry on...

17. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    ...:cool:

18. MetroChile

MetroChile Member+

Jan 13, 2001
    NJ; Valpo.
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    You're Gaspar Yanga?
    Why the screename change?

And for the record, I remember us being "boys" on that one thread, bro.
    How you goin' try to diss me, dude? :(

19. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Member

Jun 29, 2006
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    QEPD Gaspar Yanga:mad:

20. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    ouch i didnt know that :( RIP

lets keep this thread on topic please

21. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    comparing castillo and palacios is pointless, one is good and is a constant starter in the second best league in the world. The other one couldnt handle it. :p