Red bull changes

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by tjdsocc, Jan 28, 2009.

1. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    I have heard, Red Bull might be changing a little bit. Open up the number of tournaments from 3 to maybe 8? Teams would have to do 3 or 4? Any comments?

2. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    When are they going to update their website? As a matter of fact, I can't find it at all anymore.

3. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Does anyone know??? Is Red Bull still sponsoring the Red Bull League?

4. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    The adminastrator is no longer taking care of the website. Are the directly tied into the red bull? Don't know. I think at some point the league or I deem it more a showcase will have another sponsor or just run by the clubs itself. I know there is a meeting at the Vegas showcase.

Does anyone know who is in charge of the red bull. I am sure there are certain clubs that run the league?

5. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't even know if our club is even in it. We are playing at the Vegas & PDA events, but Vegas is National League.

6. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    National League is Disney, Vegas and Raleigh. Red Bull goes to Vegas/PDA and Raleigh.

Red Bull is run part by PDA.

7. LewHutch

LewHutch New Member

Feb 24, 2009
    CT
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still have not been able to access the web site. Is there another site or address that has the standings posted?

8. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bull is not sponsoring the league anymore, it appears US Club Soccer will be hosting with 40 teams total. I am sure Rory Dames at Eclipse is the key component of the league now.

Not sure how parents can afford some of these leagues.

9. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a real issue, but it sure is tireing playing the same 7 - 11 teams all the time. Eventually the boredom sets in. The coaches have a real problem keeping the players involved and motivated. These "leagues" help.

10. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    these leagues do help but when you total state cup, regionals etc.... it is a 10k price ticket. Who can afford that now especailly kids at 15 when college coaches really do not look at them.

11. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Who will the new sponsor be? If it is hosted by US Club Soccer, will it end up like Super Y or one of their many other leagues? Red Bull was pretty selective; will this just be another league to "get our money?"

12. celticeire

celticeire Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Elite Clubs National League
    Presentation to Red Bull National League Clubs
    Agenda
    I. The Transition: The Elite Clubs National League (“ECNL”)
    II. 2009-2010 U15-U17 ECNL Structure:
    III. Crowning National Champions: The Final Event
    IV. Annual Promotion - Relegation
    V. Exclusive ECNL Player Identification Program
    VI. U18 ECNL Super League
    VII. ECNL Operation and Governance
    VIII. Where we go from here…
    March 12, 2009, 6:30 PM
    Neusport Football Club
    7310 Smoke Ranch Rd., Suite C
    Las Vegas, NV 89128
    CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
    Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) © 2009
    Elite Clubs National League
    The Transition:
    The Red Bull Girls National League (“RBGNL”) has provided 2 years of improved competition for the girl’s youth game, but has reached a natural point of transition in 2009. Additionally, the member clubs of the RBGNL have identified a need to begin to make fundamental changes to the structure of elite female player development in the United States.
    On March 12, 2009, a new league proposal will be presented to the top clubs in the country -- the Elite Clubs National League (“ECNL”). The proposal will address the following areas in significant detail:
    • A five-year plan for U15 thru U17 age players.
    • The ECNL Operating and Governance Policy.
    • A plan for ECNL marketing, promotion, and expansion.
    • The ECNL competition structure.
    • The ECNL National Championship.
    • The ECNL player identification process.
    • The ECNL U18 Super League.
    With the participation of the clubs invited to the March 12, 2009 presentation, the new ECNL will represent the highest level of competition in girl’s youth soccer, and will insure that the developmental environment for the American female youth soccer player continues to improve.
    U15 – U17 ECNL Structure:
    The ECNL will be developed and expanded year-by-year with a 5-year strategic plan with the long-term goal of creating a national competition schedule of 30 games.
    Year 1 & 2:
    In 2009-2010 the U15-U17 ECNL will feature 40 clubs with teams in the U15, U16 and U17 age groups. At each age, teams will be separated into two flights and will play a 9-10 game regular season and 2 placement games at the year-end ECNL National Championship. Competition dates will be spread across the calendar to accommodate high school seasons for all clubs. Participating clubs will not be permitted to participate in the USYS National League but will be permitted to participate in all other events/leagues they chose.
    Year 3 & 4:
    In years 3 and 4, and potentially earlier if agreed upon by the clubs, the ECNL will expand the regular season schedule by including regional games, to create a 21/24-game regular season. Each club will play four home and four away games (in weekend schedules with a maximum of 2 games), and schedules will be arranged to provide travel partners.
    Year 5 and beyond:
    In year 5 the ECNL will reach its final stage. Participating clubs will participate in only the ECNL in a schedule that is expanded to an annual calendar featuring 30-40 games culminating in the ECNL National Championship Event.
    U15 – U17 National Championship:
    The ECNL regular season will be played to provide seeding for the stand alone ECNL National Championship – an event for all ECNL clubs that will crown the ECNL age group champions and overall club champion, and will determine promotion/relegation system between the flights.
    CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
    Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) © 2009
    Player Identification:
    The ECNL will sponsor and subsidize a player identification program in conjunction with US Club Soccer id2 for players born in 1993, and 1994. ECNL id2 scouts will attend several ECNL events throughout the year to identify players for participation in one National Camp in December at the Home Depot Center. The ECNL will subsidize the cost of participation in this camp for ECNL players, such that the only cost to the invited ECNL players will be their travel to and from the camp.
    U18 Super League:
    Year 1:
    In 2009-2010 the ECNL will feature a “U18 Super League” for a subset of the ECNL clubs. In 2009-2010 the ECNL U18 Super League will include 12 teams that will compete in an 11-game regular season plus final placement games to crown an ECNL U18 Super League National Champion. ECNL U18 Super League teams will not participate in the USYS National Championship Series, the USYS Regional Leagues or the USYS National League.
    Year 2 and beyond:
    In year 2 and beyond, the U18 Super League will consider expansion based on recommendations from the ECNL Board of Directors.
    ECNL Governance:
    ECNL clubs will be divided into 4 different regions, and the league will be operated and managed by a seven-member Board of Directors (the “BOD”) elected by the ECNL clubs. The BOD will consist of 1 member from each region (a “Regional Seat”), and 3 at-large seats (an “At Large Seat”).
    Anticipated Timeline:
    March 12, 2009 – Presentation in Las Vegas, NV of Elite Clubs National League (ECNL) to invited clubs
    April 1, 2009 – Clubs have must provide a written commitment to participate in the ECNL to the ECNL Board of Directors.
    Our goal is to change the face of elite girl’s youth soccer in this country and we want you to be part of it!

13. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    So the plan is to be the "only" league in which these teams can participate?

No Premier League, no National League, no USYSA? Why the need to start all these new leagues? Why not improve what we have.

14. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Great stuff, my comments are these.

Economic times, why would you include 15 year old kids? What tournaments would be picked? My guess is Vegas, Final Four, Disney and what else? You have a national championship what in July? Same month as USYSA? Some of these teams will qualifiy for both? Where would the national championships be? If this is a leauge, and you playing to win, how do the kids get showcased. The current system is not broke, yes good games etc.... but not all these clubs are bringing in all three strong teams. Why not allow clubs to pick and choose what teams they can bring in?

15. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Marcust,

This was tried several years ago with the Y-league etc... same deal, same long term plan. Just did not work. The economy will dictate some of these clubs pulling out or teams. Your asking 15 year old kids/parents to play in this league, very expensive. Seen the stock market lately?

16. theguru

theguru Member

May 7, 2008
    It is going to come down to what clubs are going to be in this league. If the top clubs in the country all join the league, college coaches will follow and attend these events.

The entire reason these events are successful is that the top colleges all attend to watch the best players and the best club teams play. If the elite 40 teams in the country are all going to join this league it will without question be a huge help to recruiting as the college coaches would just have to attend a few events to see these players.

I have heard almost all the top clubs were invited this year - PDA, Albertson, Stars of Mass, FC Delco, CFC, Slammers, Mustang, Irvine, So Cal, Crossfire, FC Portland, Eclipse, CASL, Atlanta, FC Milwaukee, Solar, Sting, Sereno, Ohio Elite, Ohio Premier, Real Colorado, Colorado Rush, FC Virginia to name a few.

17. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, they're looking.

18. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Why would they stipulate that the clubs (this year) can play in any league "but" the National League? The National League actually constitutes the best teams in the country. Why would ECNL point this league out ... unless it was trying to squash the superior competition.

19. tjdsocc

tjdsocc New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    US Club tried to do this years ago with the Y-league, a superior league. Bottom line, my understanding, this is a hybrid of the academy system. Overall, just play their league, no ODP etc....... They are telling USYSA they are not doing it right basically. Overall, cost is driving and will drive parents/teams/clubs awayy from these leagues.

The concept for the red bull is good but not for 15 year old kids.

20. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Again, why are they saying that the girls can play in any league EXCEPT the National League.

21. New Engalnd Nellie

Mar 6, 2008
    I suspect because they expect to play at the same venues like this year (Raleigh and Vegas - maybe Disney in the future)

22. marcust

marcust Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I really don't like all the "strong arming" that is going on. Why start ANOTHER league? The National League is undeniably comprised of "the best" teams. The Academy and the former Red Bull League both have many teams that are not very good teams. The ECNL wants to destroy the National League and in the next breath, they want to raise the standard of soccer in the US. (sort of odd, to say the least)

It's pretty obvious this is for the benefit of certain clubs.

23. SoCalSun

SoCalSun Member

Manchester United
    United States
    May 18, 2004
    Southern California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get your point...best teams, not clubs. Just give it a little time, and the "in" clubs will have the best teams in every bracket.
    National league has only 8 teams, they may be the best from their respective regions, maybe not. The first year of the National league, we were invited but decided to do Red Bull instead, therefore, that's one part of your argument that falls apart. Also, according to Mathman's ratings, the strongest teams from some of the regions are not in National League. I refer to the SoCal "Arsenal" team, who are the highest rated team in the land, but have not (yet) won anything of note, Stars of Mass. also. That's the problem with tournaments, the best team doesn't always win. Having a National league of the best clubs will go a long way toward removing the tournament variable in selecting the overall best team.
    I don't like the lack of access to the USYSA National Championship round (the "prize" for winning the current National League) but that's a status thing. If this thing gets off the ground, and is incorporated in the Academy system (which seems doubtful, since they are different organizations) then this could be a good idea, given time.

24. Bird1812

Bird1812 New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    I take issue with this statement only because I've observed 2 U16 teams from my state who I would consider among the country's best. One plays in the RBL and the other plays in the NL. These two team's resumes are so nearly identiical it would be impossible to annoint one better than the other. To say that a league is comprised of "the best teams" does exactly that and in so doing actually hurts our ability to raise the standard of soccer in this country, because what essentially is being done is decreasing the pool of potential talent. We need to expand the number of players, teams and clubs expected to play at a high level, not decrease it. And by expanding those numbers, we should also be able to decrease the cost to play. Cost is obviously a huge issue in 2009.

Another point to consider is the fact that many "soccer experts" have said to raise the level of soccer in this country, we have to move away from a team-centric environment to a club-centric environment. ECNL is obviously promoting that philosophy. While I see the issue of costs as a huge problem for these national leagues, I don't see the issues of clubs not being able to field "the best teams" at all age groups as a problem as long as the teams are competitive. Good clubs should be able to field competitive teams at every age group.

25. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I would like to know, who is saying what clubs are invited and who are being kept out. TDS.com club ranking has FC Milwaukee with only 5 points and at the bottom of the list, but yet they are invited. I have yet to see IMG and or SSM being mentioned or invited?? I have no dog in this fight, but just curious.