Teams that play the most attractive football

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by phil80, Dec 13, 2008.

1. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Not necessarily just this season but in the past few years, teams that have played the most beautiful, apealling football

Arsenal
    Barcelona
    Manchester United (at times)
    AC Milan (at times)
    Roma
    Zenit

Are there any other teams that deserve mention?

2. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Boca Juniors
    Internacional (Porto Alegre)
    Atletico Madrid
    Hoffenheim

3. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Right now: Arsenal, 1899 Hoffenheim, Manchester United, Barcelona and Internacional.

4. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It depends on who you are and what your definition of appealing football is. My opinion is that Atletico's "we'll score more than you" style of football isnt attractive as they are neglecting the defensive side of the game, although they have improved slightly this season. IMO the most balanced teams are the best to watch...the ones that know when to play possession, when to play counter-attack football and when to pass short or direct. These balanced teams that can dominate opposition are the most appealing to me.

However, there arent many teams that have been able to do this on a consistent basis throughout a season and it is a skill that only the best teams can achieve.

5. Mojam5

Mojam5 New Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I would not include Manchester United. They look good in counter attacks but not most other times.

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You clearly do not watch them most times unless you are basing everything on this season and this season alone.

For what it is worth I agree with Grinners89 and that is why my list consists of Barcelona, Man Utd and Roma.

7. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Roma, in attack are the best to watch IMO but overall they tend to sit back too much for me.

Barca have the most attractive football of high pressing and possession retaining football. For all the goals they score and all the plaudits they get for their attack, when they lose possession all their players work hard to retain possession and start up another attack. Ronaldinho wasnt good for Barca in this sense as he was the only one that wouldnt work hard when he didnt have the ball.

Only problem with Barca is that their depth isnt as great as Man Utds (apart from their forwards) and if they lose any key players, they could struggle against other top sides. Ive also not seen someone test Dani Alves yet in a Barca shirt to see if he can cope with a top quality winger.

8. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They dont play counter-attack football, however they are the best counter-attacking side at the moment. Therefore if you only watch highlights, you will see many of Man Utd's goals coming from CA's.

9. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    As much as it pains me to say, Bayern deserves a mention. In the first half of the last season and this season after some troubles at the start, they are quite impressive.

Also, if you go for spectacular matches with loads of goals, Werder should be in the list. They are certainly not the strongest team in Europe, but they've scored more goals per match in the Bundesliga than Arsenal in the EPL or Barca in La Liga for years, they are usually entertaining and they produce memorable 3:6, 5:4 or 5:2 matches more often than any other team mentioned.

10. phil80

phil80 Member

Aug 25, 2007
    I would include Werder as well, especially when on form and diego pulling the strings. As for man utd, they definitely should be included in the list especially during last season when they would play quick one touch passing football and scholes and carrick with the distribution.

11. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Really? Barca's midfield is ridiculous. Xavi, Iniesta, Hleb, Keita, Yaya Toure, Sergi Busquets(who's having a great debut season), Gudjohnsen. It think that's just as good as ManUtd's.

In defense ManUtd's two CB's and LB are better but in terms of overall depth Barca have a lot of quality as well. Marquez, Puyol, Milito, Pique, Abidal, Caceres, Sylvinho, Alves.

Well Iniesta who has been one of their key players the past couple of seasons has been out for a little while now and they still managed to beat Sevilla, Valencia, and Madrid convincingly.

12. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Looking at it now...i was completely wrong. Barca's depth is quite amazing. Although Milito is injured and Caceres and Pique arent quite consistent enough yet, they do have great depth. Abidal and Alves arent the greatest defenders but Barca's high pressing game means that there are very few moments when they are tested close to their penalty area. Same with Sylvinho, he is a less capable defender than both Abidal and Alves.

Gudjohnsen and Busquets are not quite up to it yet...the former can be easily harrassed out of the game and against a better midfield, i feel he would struggle to control a game or provide anything for his forwards. Although Busquets has also shown promise in games this season he is still young and unless to ask him to play a significant role in the last 16 of the CL against the better sides in Europe would again probably be too much.

That leaves Xabi, Iniesta and Toure as the 1st choice 3 with Ketia, Hleb and Gudjohnsen as back-ups. Up front they have Eto'o, Henry and Bojan as possible CF options (arguable the best depth in that position in any club) with Henry, Messi, Iniesta and Hleb as possibilites to play wide.

Although their midfield and defence is probably good enough to shield their defence against decent teams, when they face the best teams in Europe, their defence will come under pressure and their midfield wont be able to control games like it does currently...eg 65% possession vs Madrid.

Madrid, Valencia and Sevilla dont exactly have the greatest defences to hold out Barca.

Madrid's backline of Salgado, Metzelder, Cannavaro and Ramos is certainly not their 1st choice and even then, tactically, they dont seem to understand what is required just yet. Ramos will fix this. They were missing Pepe, Torres and Heinze which reduced their options significantly vs Barca.

13. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    In Holland it's AZ and Twente.

14. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It has to be necessarilly a club team? If not, I choose Holland at the Euro`08, group phase...

15. Cool Rob

Cool Rob Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Chicago USA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone, with the possible exception of Barcelona, is playing attractive football right now. I can't remember such a situation with so many ugly, disjointed teams. Man U, AC Milan, Roma, and Arsenal are all huge disappointments, definitely not easy on the eyes.

16. elgoalo

elgoalo Member

Jun 8, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excluding Barcelona, how do the best Spanish teams compare? (Valencia, Sevilla, Villareal, Real & Athletico Madrid). I only get to watch Champions League on ESPN, and thats always ManU & Chelsea.

17. Super Chelsea

Super Chelsea New Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Barca And Chelsea

scolari really MAke A " change " in chelsea !

18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
  19. viscajunior

viscajunior Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Barcelona is the best one with out discussion.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Pity the above statement does not agree with the criteria set out in the opening post.

21. Leeds92

Leeds92 New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I always enjoyed Sao Paulo of the 90's and the Red Star Belgrade team that won the ECC. Fluid passing that was fast, pin point and attacking.

I must admit that more recent teams IMO just dont stack up against these two, however the game has change in those 15+ years.

These days I agree that Holland is a good choice.

22. uamiranda

uamiranda Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Club:
    Vitoria Salvador
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't say better...:)

23. Leeds92

Leeds92 New Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Australia
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    You mean Sao Paulo or Holland????

SP back in the 90's was fantastic to watch they way they moved the ball around.

Holland at the Euro's was by far the best team to watch as a neutral supporter.

Current day club level I find it hard to make a judgement at the top level. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between entertainment and attractive football.

I think that when you are a neutral supporter you can make a better judgement of what you find attractive football as you dont have the bias of saying a team you support plays the most attractive. You might not be right but your judgement isnt clouded.

24. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I understand now for Sao Paulo.

Telê Santana. :)

25. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club: