News: Orlando Sharks Pull Out for the 2009 season

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by livesoccernews, Oct 21, 2008.

1. livesoccernews

livesoccernews New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    The Orlando Sharks Pulled out of the 2008/09 season due to conflicts with Orlando City Hall. The two could not come to terms on a agreeable lease contract so as of yesterday Orlando made it clear that they will be inactive for one year. Two players who had signed with Orlando have already been offered deals with Nj and Rockford Rampage. Hewverton and Ricardinho. Stay tune for more insiders information.

The orlando Sharks should make a annoucement on this in the next few days, the Rampage have already removed them from there season playing schedule schedule.

2. Taz-Master

Taz-Master Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Think it would have helped if they had brought all this up then the NISL was formed? They can't run the NISL on only 4 teams.. What a Joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. livesoccernews

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I agree it is a big mess but they thought that City Hall would have not noticed NISL for MISL once they did they said we understand that this is the same team but no matter how you look at it this is a different league and now falls under new terms and prices thats when Orlando said no way. So Orlando City Hall went on to book events for other shows on dates that Orlando Sharks would have had a game. I am not sure why it is taking them so long to make the annoucement they have already started to ship back players belonging.

4. Taz-Master

Taz-Master Member

Dec 12, 2005
    Orlando dropped the ball big time on this.... Can't figure out how the owners other let Orlando do this....

5. livesoccernews

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This puts all other teams in the same league in a bad situation because the schedule was already made now they will have to make major adjustments.

6. balthrop

balthrop Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Plano, Texas
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    File this under "trust but verify": The Amway Arena web site still has the Orlando Sharks games listed.

Has anyone received any confirmation from the Sharks or the NISL of this story?

7. Dave K

Dave K Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Gloucester, NJ
    I have already heard from 3 sources today confirming arena issues in Orlando to the point where the team has folded.

With McNeley going back to the PASL Cougars after he was signed recently by the Sharks, it's pretty obvious there is a major issue in Orlando.

8. livesoccernews

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes Orlando is Done for sure they said that they are trying to see if they can stay inactive for 1 yr instead of folding. The Sharks also said that players who signed with them can only go back to negiotiate contracts with there previous clubs they had came from that is wrong.

9. MOREHEAD

MOREHEAD Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Gee Maybe There Is Still Time To Kiss And Make Up With The Other Four Teams In The Xsl. Can You See It Now Mr Hale Kissing Some Butt!!!! If This Happens Some One Take A Picture For Syd. Ha! Ha! Pasl Is Looking Better And Better Each Week!!

10. Steamer

Steamer New Member

Jan 30, 2006
    I'm telling you, the XSL is the league to beat. Now, you have a rec league (PASL) & the NISL, which lost a team before they started & two teams who might not have a home.

The XSL looks Xtremely good compared to the other two.

11. livesoccernews

Oct 21, 2008
    on earth
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I have just been made aware that Baltimore has been offered the opportunity to sign two amazing players that would make a huge difference on the team, lets see if they act on it or let another opportunity fly by. Stay tune.

12. MOREHEAD

MOREHEAD Member

Sep 23, 2008
    A Rec League Or Not A 4 Team League Is A Waste Of Time And Money And Energy. If This Is True I Just. Wish They Bag The Dam League.

13. slickersoccer

slickersoccer Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Newark, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep hoping this won't turn out to be true, much like reports of the Blast's folding earlier in the summer. Those hopes took a big hit after looking at the Rockford page, though. They really have removed any mention of the Sharks as an opponent (they even have a revised schedule already, though the league hasn't posted one yet). If the reports of issues with the city are true, I'm hoping that this just reflects a colossal but isolated mistake on the part of one team rather than a sign of fatal problems for the league as a whole. But losing one team of only five before the season even starts just looks so bad for everyone.

Both the NISL and XSL are facing this constant danger as long as they remain so small. Only three of the eight franchises in the two leagues have proven that they can stay in business for longer than a few years, which leaves over half of the teams as unproven (and occasionally unstable), inexperienced liabilities. Neither league can afford to lose another team if they want to maintain the very tenuous grasp they now have on being a "professional soccer league."

14. Kevin McMillan

Oct 17, 2006
    Edmonton
    Unless the NISL and XSL manage to find a few more teams by next year, I think the owners will have to find a way to kiss and make up.... only 8 teams between the two leagues and questions surrounding a few of those remaining.

15. CurryMan123

CurryMan123 New Member

Apr 16, 2008
    I have to agree. They may end up having to merge because of necessity. If they get together again though things could easily collapse like it did before. We may have no other alternatives. I say we just enjoy this season for what is is and hope PASL can grow.

~CurryMan

16. Cohnny

Cohnny New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I've followed the team fairly closely, where are you guys getting your information? I haven't seen any of this!

Folded? this i know isn't true, i know someone that works for them and they still have a job

17. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    I just emailed the sharks' darren moore and got a response of "NO!!!" to the question of "have you folded?".

18. Calif. Raisin D'Etre

Oct 15, 2008
    Ask him about Leone and McNeely, then.

19. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    He didn't say they were playing. And McNeely is the only one who signed with Orlando.

20. AvidSoccerFanatic

AvidSoccerFanatic New Member

Oct 22, 2008
    From what I've heard, all staff and operations are continuing as usual.

21. Calif. Raisin D'Etre

Oct 15, 2008
    That's not necessarily a good thing. :)

22. CFL-fan

CFL-fan Member

May 1, 2006
    Maryland
    This is starting to sound like PMJNewcastle.

23. Redknapp11

Redknapp11 New Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Russia
    This rumour is utter garbage. Untill I see a news article that states the Sharks are gone, consider this rumour as rubbish. I have two buddies who work for the club and they both said they haven't heard of anything remotely close to this rumour and business is going on as usual.

Why would they fold the team based on not having the availability to play within the Amway Arena. The Sharks can use two other arena's in the area with Silver Spurs Arena already hosting a solid amount of games last season.

I'll eat my humble pie if I am wrong but as of now this is a poor attempt at winding up a fan base of around 11 people.... why even bother.

24. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    The only thing seen for sure is that McNeely is not going to play for them. There could be other explanations for that other than the team folding.

25. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

To be honest I don't know either way. But I do know that Sham (love that name) was trying to move out of Amway last year to Silver Spurs Arena. I think if this is true then the situation is not down entirely to the arena deal, it sounds like the whole team is the issue and the arena is a way of assigning blame.

the last I checked the Sharks website still had references to MISL and the California Cougars logo was still up and front + center.

I must say though, this rumour does sound odd. I think Redknapp is right, lets get it confirmed first. The poster is a newbie but Dave K is usually right about these things which is a bad thing for Sharks fans