Mexican stadiums

Discussion in 'Mexico' started by psveindhoven, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. El Pipiripau

El Pipiripau Member+

Jul 10, 2006
    Escondido!!!
    Club:
    Club Santos Laguna
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think its 40,000

2. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    There are about 4 or 5 stadiums with a capacity of 40,000+ seats that can host a world cup, but all of those stadiums need a major face lift. Some of the stadiums are: Estadio Azteca in Mexico City, Estadio Olimpico in Mexico City, Estadio La Corregidora in Queretaro, and Estadio Jalisco in Guadalajara.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/north_america/countries/mexico.shtml

3. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    There are more than a hand full of 40k+ stadiums in Mexico but none can host a world cup match if the World cup were to start today or in 2010.
    potentially?
    could they be given a "make over" in order to host the games?
    I say no, they are to old,decrepit and outdated.

4. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Dile eso al Olimpico de Berlin. Renovations to Mexican stadia could get the job done.

5. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Every stadium that's over 40.000 can host if they fix them up. Azteca, CU, El Volcan all those are great stadiums that need some fixes, thats all.

I dont think el Jalisco would host a game once the Templo Mayor is built.

6. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    With time? Yes. I think what ElVasco was saying though is if the WC started right now or very soon there isn't enough time to do all the repairs. If we had the full time they give a country to host there would be no problem with Mexico hosting.

7. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    Sure but with a €250 million cost(what's that around $400 mil?) and 4 years of work, I wonder if they'll be willing to spend that kind of cash on the Azteca or any of the other stadiums in Mexico, do I think it's worth it for the Azteca? yes, but then again they wont be spending my money.

8. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah, it takes time and money, but it can be done.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup

8.4 billions Rands is approx 1 billion US.

Some of the costs are covered by sponsorship deals, government, the stadium owners themselves, and I also believe FIFA chips in.

I'm not sure if Mexico's stadia are in need of the same degree of repairs as South Africa's, but it can be done.

9. cavemanmexicano

cavemanmexicano Red Card

Sep 14, 2008
    The new Chivas Stadium in Guadalajara, Mexico should be ready next year. Do you think our Seleccion Mexicana will play some games there?

10. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because in 2022 I was trying to figure out who would bid. I already have USA, China and Australia as the only bidders with a legit shot. I just wondered if Mexico could host. This is all under the assumption that Europe gets 2018 which they should in my opinion.

11. DGreat

DGreat Moderator
    Staff Member

CD Guadalajara
    Mexico
    Oct 5, 2007
    El Ombligo
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    By 2018 Mexico can have a shot at the WC with all of the stadiums we are building, by 2022 i would say it is hard for the U.S. to get it with the stadiums that we would have built by then and also the fact that the U.S. just hosted the cup in '94

12. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay cool. I like Mexican as a strong bid. The atmosphere for a world cup in state of the art stadiums would be awesome down there.

13. aldo

aldo New Member

May 17, 2007
    San Diego
    Found this picture on mediotiempo...

[​IMG]

Did they change the seats in the jalisco or repaint them or something? I remember they looked like crap and were the ghettoest things ever, but they actually look kind of nice in that picture

14. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    Depends on where you sit. The upper level is still all concrete I think, with just metal "dividers" between spaces. The lower level has seats like those (at least along the sidelines).

15. elvasco

Sep 10, 2006
    and they also have the almost a decade old VIP area.

16. fdp

fdp Red Card

Oct 24, 2001
    GDL Update:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. martincruz88

martincruz88 Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    i just cant see chivas stadium being finished by the time the clausura season starts based on the last pictures posted above. i dont see this being finished until maybe summer of 09

18. el-choul

el-choul Member+

Apr 17, 2006
    DC
    The current official projection is spring of 2009.

19. Lil Puppet

Lil Puppet Member+

Feb 11, 2007
    A Basket
    Club:
    FC Illychivets Mariupol
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe
    Damn thing looks the same. :rolleyes:

20. Chivasporas

Chivasporas Member

Mar 31, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    mexicans come here and they build a superwalmart in a week, but they sure do take a long azz time when building chit in mexico

21. radmonkey

radmonkey Member

Oct 27, 2007
    It looks like an MLS Stadium...not not the one in NY. The one in dallas.

But the Main stand is nice. Too bad it doesn't look like it all the way around and with a roof.

22. zparq696

zparq696 New Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Wisconsin
    thats exactly what I think,,I mean with the temperatures there,wouldn't be smart to have a roof???

23. AMEPUNKANIST

AMEPUNKANIST Member+

Dec 16, 2003
    Club:
    America Propria
    I think santos fans that go to santos current stadium could care less if the new stadium has a roof or not, they just want some something more comfortable to sit on besides concrete.

They're building this stadium to be expandable and a roof could be an option in the future if global warming rises.

24. #1Keeper

#1Keeper Member+

Feb 7, 2004
    Have you ever been to Torreon? I am pretty sure that the fans would like to get out of the sun.

25. Mosco

Mosco Member+

Dec 1, 2004
    Sun Valley, CA

I agree it's straight dessert