August 2nd, Faith & Family Night, Dynamo vs. Crew

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Jul 26, 2008.

1. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo Faith and Family Night

August 2nd, Dynamo vs. Crew, 7:30 PM
    Pre Game Concert by City of Refuge and CCC Band Post Game
    Testimonies from Crew and Dynamo Players
    Hosted by Malcolm Marshall at Joined at the Hip Ministries

20 Tickets for $10 each (Purchase 20 tickets for $200)

2. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe some of the Crew SG members should come too. :rolleyes:

3. dustcowpoke

dustcowpoke Member

Jan 7, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was NASA night?

I think the Crew is such a bad draw they are trying to get people to come to this game. They need as many side-gigs as possible to attract a larger audience.

4. ShoelessMan

ShoelessMan In vino veritas!

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to be honest here... I was asked by the Dynamo in their inaugural season to get a band together and play at the first "Faith & Family Night..." They asked me literally ONE WEEK before the event! I told them that was hardly enough time to promote it, and they said they'd take care of it... I was happy to help them out, so I put together a band and a set-list in a weeks time, then did the event free of charge.

We showed up, ran through sound check, took a break, and were ready to play the pre-game show. The problem was, the ONLY people there were friends and family members of me and my band. How embarrassing!

[​IMG]

I'm extremely disappointed in the Dynamo and their lack of planning and marketing for this event. I've played before Astros games and there have been at least 1,000 people there for the pre-game concert each time... And I'm a nobody! It takes some work, but if done right, it is SIMPLE to get churches involved. Maybe I'm a little biased since I'm a Christian Concert Promoter as well as a musician, but I know that the possibilities for an event like this are enormous.

I talked to some friends of mine in BIG NAME Christian Bands who regularly play in front of crowds of 10,000 +, and some of them were willing to play at a Dynamo game for free. Their fans would come out in force to the concert to see the band, and the Dynamo game would be a bonus for them. The band would make their money by selling CD's and the Dynamo would sell THOUSANDS of tickets to people who have never been exposed to Dynamo soccer before! I passed all this information on to people in the Dynamo FO, and they never got back to me. Now I see, (one week before the event) that the Dynamo got a local band very few people have ever heard of. (like me year 1) I'm not saying the band isn't good, (my bass player knows them) but they won't be a draw!

The only reason I bring all this up is because I want to see the Dynamo taking advantage of every opportunity to be successful, and so far, "Faith & Family Night" is missing out on an enormous opportunity, and the Dynamo only have themselves to blame!

If anyone in the Dynamo FO is reading this and wants to ACT instead of talk, send me a message and let me know!

5. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don´t like it when they mix religion and professional sports, apparently they like to do it in the US, baseball, basketball, etc, etc, etc, call me crazy, call me a liberal, call me a stinking foreigner who has no idea whatsoever of the way things work in this country, but not everyone in this country is a Christian, and even the ones that are Christians, not everyone is the born again type that likes to listen to testimonials and likes to tell her or his testimonial.

I´m not against Christian groups, concerts or testimonials, I love freedom of religion, one of the reasons I live the spirit of the Constitution, but don´t mix religion with the team I support.

I don´t like gimmicks either (NASA night), it sounds AAA baseball game, no offense to AAA teams, I have attend many AAA games and I do know and respect the PR activities and all the gimmicks they have to use to get fans.

We are not a AAA teams, supposedly we are part of a major league, supposedly we will have 18 teams in just 3 more years (even if it means having teams in Vancouver, Ottawa and Montreal, which I hate, this is supposedly a US league, but that is a topic for a different thread), supposedly they are paying the league for games, supposedly we have better ratings now, but I´m afraid we will start to have sack races, weddings during half time and Dynamo girls dancing in poles (now that I thing of it, as misogynist and chauvinist as this last idea is, I would not complain at all if it happens).

Having said that, i will be there and whatever makes new Dynamo fans I will support, hopefully next year they will do something similar to what ShoelessMan is expecting of them.

6. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right that many people, including some Christians, don't particularly like to listen to public testimonials. But none of this activity is scheduled during the game, or even at half-time. There's a pre-game concert and post-game testimonials. The activities are before and after the game, so no one has to listen or participate unless they choose to do so by showing up early or staying afterwards. It's not being imposed on anyone.

7. Eguzki

Eguzki Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Club:
    Athletic Club Bilbao
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem is not imposing anything, which as you clearly stated, they are not doing, but it do sounds as the Dynamo organization is supporting or connecting themselves with one particular religious view, are they going to have Muslim night?, Hindu Night?, Buddhist Night?, Episcopal Night?, Catholic Roman and Orthodox night?, Jewish Night?, Agnostic night?

I know they are not branding themselves as a Christian team or trying to support a specific religious view, but it looks like that when you only choose one religious view, don´t like it, don´t support it, it even may be view as unrespectful to some fans of different religious views when the team decides to have only one point of view represented, it would be like having Democrat night but no Republican night.

8. The Prophet

The Prophet Member

Sep 9, 2003
    Big P, Texas
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    I heard this is homeless night also free tickets for the homeless to fill up the stadium.

9. moo4dougie

moo4dougie New Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Houston
    I'll be honest: I feel awkward every year they have a faith night. Of course, I'll be there to support the Dynamo, as I do at every game.

And like others have said, I realize that faith events don't happen during the game or halftime. But it does make me feel awkward and uncomfortable. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I understand that Christians must navigate a reality that they often find very uncomfortable themselves. So, I'll concede that point to them as well.

10. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great, now I feel like I'm attending an FC Dallas game.

11. flippin269

flippin269 Member+

Aug 3, 2003
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be sure to drink responsibly on Faith & Family Night. Brought to you by Budweiser :D

12. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    shoeless,

sorry to break it to you, but faith & family night is just another marketing gimmick to sell tickets. not much different than hispanic night or the upcoming salvadorean night, etc.

when hispanic night comes around september and i walk by the booths i feel no different than when i attend the other 20 or so Dynamo games. same thing with this promotion, i have both faith and family but to me its going to be just another game that i'll attend.

as for the rest of you,

simmer down. no one is going to stuff a communion wafer down your throat at this game....although some of you need it. :D its just a marketing ploy to sell some tickets to church groups and if you wish to stay to hear what Patrick Ianni has to say then cool, if not then also cool.

13. TexMan

TexMan New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Houston
    I agree that some stuff is done last minute and some marketing ploys arent as good as others but this night will hopefully be better then last years. i didnt know that it was faith and family night until i got to the stadium.
    and as for the comments by shoelessman. have you been to city of refuge's official website? they are far from a local band, yes they are from houston originally, but they have been to many places outside of the state of texas, and i have even heard some of their songs on KSBJ before. lastly why are you comparing the astros to the dynamo? after two years of being around i think the dynamo have done a really great job selling tickets, example: the 28,700+ fans at the chivas guadalajara game. compared to the astros who have been around longer than some of us (46 years). we shall see how the night goes and hopefully it will be a step in the right direction.

City Of Refuge Website: www.CityOfRefugeMusic.com

14. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rey, EXACTLY!!! I'm talking about it FROM a marketing standpoint. Faith & Family night in a city like Houston has enormous possibilities to bring in new fans, and the Dynamo are missing out! Period!

If you could do something right and sell 10,000 extra tickets, would you do it right? I would! That could happen on Faith & Family night!

15. TexMan

TexMan New Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Houston
    It does have potential, really big potential. Its just that it has taken a back seat to SuperLiga. Like I said before though, we shall see how everything goes. Can't really talk down on the Dynamo office just yet because maybe there will be alot of churches and other Christian organizations that come out in the masses.

16. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TexMan, as I stated in my original comment, I'm not bashing City of Refuge! My bass player is friends with some of the members of their band. BUT, it's time for a reality check... As a working member of the Gospel Music Association, I can tell you with absolute certainty that they are considered in the industry as a small time, Houston band. If you think they're anything bigger than that, you're living in imaginary land. Their band members don't travel full-time as musicians, and they have jobs in sales and stuff like that... There's nothing wrong with having real jobs, but their music and their following are in a totally different world than what we consider "Major Market Bands." Sure, they may have been outside the state of Texas before, but that doesn't make them a major market band. They meet none of the criteria for a major market band. If you're a fan, I'm sorry if that news hurts your feelings, but I'm just being realistic! The Robbie Seay Band is from Houston, and they have National Acclaim, with a song used as the theme song for American Idol last year and chart topping hits... Chris Tomlin used to play out of Houston, and he has become the most sung artist on the planet in any genre of music according to Time Magazine. Matt Brouwer, Brandon Heath, Leeland and Israel Houghton are some other major market Christian Artists who currently call Houston home. Plenty of bands from Houston have taken Christian music to another level, but City of Refuge isn't one of them! I AM NOT SLAMMING THEM, but they are in a totally different level of success than the bands I've already mentioned. Bands like Jeremy Camp, Third Day, Switchfoot or David Crowder Band would sell thousands of extra tickets to a Dynamo game, but I will be shocked if City of Refuge sells 100!!!

I'm just saying if the possibility is there to get a big name band guaranteed to sell thousands of extra tickets, for the same price ($0.00) as City of Refuge, wouldn't you rather the big name band for the good of the Dynamo???

In regards to the Astros, I only mention it because they have found a formula of success regarding faith night that the Dynamo have ignored, and it has nothing to do with them being the Astros or how long they've been here!!! It has to do with forward planning, a little hard work, and smart decisions, all of which add up to more ticket sales for the event. Ask the Dynamo how many tickets they've sold the last two years as a direct result of faith & family night, and if they're honest, I guarantee you the number is less than 200 tickets sold total over two years. That's simply poor planning and laziness, nothing else. I could make one phone call and sell 200 tickets if there was a band with some hype surrounding them at the game! This is an opportunity the Dynamo have completely dropped the ball on!

To everyone who loves the Dynamo, my comments are not meant to promote the idea of Faith & Family night, they are not meant to bash the band coming to Faith & Family night, and they are certainly not meant to offend anyone! My comments are made based around the idea that there IS a Faith & Family Night, and it could be done much better, selling a ton of tickets to people who normally wouldn't come to a Dynamo game, and earning the Dynamo thousands of fans they didn't have before! All I want is for the Dynamo to be as successful as possible, so when I saw the announcement for Faith & Family Night come out one week before the game for the third year in a row, I decided to lend my expertise to make the event a success if they want to take me up on it. It's all about getting more fans in the stadium to watch our beloved Dynamo, nothing else!

17. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember the first time they did this, and you're right, I remember it being sort of spur of the moment back then too. But in a way, maybe that's what they want. The first time I remember somebody (Bilzy? somebody from the SJ days) say that some of the players just liked to have some time to talk about their beliefs, or something like that. I think maybe Gray and Cochrane (?) were mentioned, and they're not here now. But it might not have been, and might not still be, a publicity or ticket-selling event as much as a small, personal thing. Which would be nice. I always wondered how many people stayed after for the event.

But you're right, it could be a big, church supported, ticket-selling event. But actually I would hope that the soccer would sort of sell itself. Naive, huh? :D

18. ShoelessMan

Jan 25, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured I'd make one final post on the subject and then leave the subject alone since I'm tired of talking about it.

Take the attendance for the Columbus Crew game on August 2nd and add 10,000 to it. I think it would make for a better game experience for everyone whether they're Christian or not. I think the players would like the additional support, the new fans would enjoy the game and hopefully come back for more, and everyone would be a winner.

It will take a little more work and advance planning than what has happened in the past to turn faith & family night into a success of this magnitude, but it could happen with a few minor adjustments.

That's what I'm hoping for, more tickets sold and more Dynamo fans! If you disagree with my ideas, that's fine, but you can't disagree with my motive!

Go Dynamo and good luck with Faith & Family night!

19. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I remember it too-Erob elbows a guy in the head and then gives his testimony about forgiveness. Maybe he reads a lot of old testament stuff about the law and punishment.:)

pretty funny

I can see it now-shoulder charge on a through ball that was called offsides-WWJD? Elbow in the head

20. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We do have a Democrat night every night in the country.

It's called the NBC/ABC/CBS Nightly News.

Catch it sometime. :rolleyes:

21. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Faith and family night? On Shabbat? What a sham! Jajajaj! (Even though technically Shabbat will be over for an hour and a half, but still...)

22. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, to be honest, Houston isn't exactly brimming with religious diversity. It's predominantly Christian-Protestant/Evangelical, and I really don't see the Jewish, Muslim, and certainly not the Buddhist communities stirring up over this. Only self-absorbed anuses get offended when they see signs of Christianity in the Christian-west. If I go to Istanbul, I'm definitely not going to protest the lack of consideration for Messianic-Jews. Also, isn't one of the major Baptist churches in Houston a sponsor of the team?

23. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to derail the thread or piss off anyone over their beliefs, but I've seen enough Death and Destruction in quite a few places on this planet first hand because of "Faith" and belief. So I will have a beer or four that night and put my "Faith" in Dom and the Boys kicking some wannabe Dortmund arse and everyone else can do what they feel works best for them.

24. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I wouldn't blame faith for most death and destruction...manipulative idiots, and blind ignorance, yes, but the faith in and of itself...not so much.

25. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point, most times it is because of manipulative idiots that will use peoples faith and twist it into hatred of those that do not share that same particular faith that leads to death and destruction of the weaker believers. No matter if it is Crosses, Crescents or Stars of David some how the whole Love thy Neighbor and/or Brother goes out the window. That's why we have Crusades, Ethnic Cleansing, Holocausts, Intifahda's and on and on. Of course we do not even want to start on the Vatican.