Crew Stadium Security in the Nordecke

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by HardHatMike, Jun 29, 2008.

1. TimD

TimD Member

Aug 9, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio, U.S.
    Not sure what the picture of Patrick Swayze is all about, kinda scary really, but I there are a number of good points here.

BA is right in that this is a customer service issue to a point. And having undercover goons in the stands is a bit much. It does add a level of intimidation that is not particularly needed.

But Fotobass and others are right in that expecting everyone attached to the FO to be roaming around the supporters section like free floating goodwill ambassaders is pretty unrealistic. They have their jobs to perform and they don't involve babysitting or schmoozing the Nordecke.

I was in the section for the second half of Saturdays game and I didn't think the security on the field was particularly tough or mean looking. I spotted the undercover guy in about 10 seconds, so not much undercover going on there. Wearing a dated Beasly Yanks jersey kinda makes you stand out like a sore thumb. Really couldn't the Crew at least hook the guy up with a Crew jersey.

There is one thing everyone needs to know about C'bus cops is that if you get the wrong one you can be in a world of hurt. I find it difficult to see why the cop in question took getting hit in the face personally but like I said you get the wrong one and they can be total pricks.

But the reality is that the issue needs to be resolved and it needs to be resolved with the help of the FO. It has been said a number of times that McCullers, DeBolt, and Keeney have been instrumental in working with the Chicago and DC groups. It would seem that it is time to bring that savvy to this situation. They need to become actively involved in working with the supporters groups in helping find a solution to this problem.

Seems to be mostly about the smoke bombs. I think the sand traps between the stands and the field are a great idea. The people who feel a need for smoke get their jollies, and smoke in the team colors is cool, and the FO get to go to the league and tell them the situation is under control and being handled safely.

The streamers are just going to happen. The league overreacted to what was no doubt pressure from the Rev's ownership because of their whiney little children that they call players. I'm thinking that if this oh so terrible fan behavior is kept to burying one or two opposing players a game it will be overlooked.

What MarkeyMark was alluding to (I believe) is that you gotta remember this is still a single entity league. That means that, in theory, the league FO can demand that the Nordecke be disbanded. Or, that there could easily be a ban placed on ALL of the supporters in that section. I think that is a desperate solution and would certainly be equivalent to the NCAA death sentence but it is a possibility.

2. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe in my world smoke bombs are intelligent.

So wait people were getting thrown out for streamers? Really? If this is the case why doesn't someone tell CSC to go police the parking lot. Nothing really bad happens in our section, has anyone got hurt ever? No. Stabbed? No. I guess the security guard got his feelings hurt with the streamer but that's all that really matters. The section is totally safe.

And, undercover is just going to make more problems then help. People are more likely to do dumb stuff just to spite them.

3. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    btw, I think it's going to be worse overall next weekend. It's Fourth of July so there should be more then 2 or 3 smoke bombs. Also Fire fans.

4. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I think Archer flew off the handle a bit, I do have to agree with general sentiment that an undercover security guard seems a bit over the top as well.

Seriously, what's the point? Uniformed security can't survey they section(s) and kick people out? They have to infiltrate the group and pick up guys for petty violations hoping to get them to flip on the leader and mastermind?

As someone else said, the emphasis should be on prevention, not kicking people out once they cross the line.

5. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lighting a burning object in the middle of a throng of people isn't cool. Throwing it onto the field is even dumber.

It's rather quite simple. If you want to light/throw/toss/flick/project smoke bombs onto the field/section/area between stands and field, get permission from the front office. Lighting a fire in a crowded area without the approval of the owners of the area is silly. When we go in that stadium, we are guests of the CFO. If rules continue to be broken, liberties could be taken away. Do you want to take that risk?

Likewise, if we play by their few rules (don't light stuff on fire, only streamers go on the field), then they could loosen up.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more smoke bombs there are, the more unwelcome eyes we attract. No smoke bombs = very few unwelcome eyes. Everyone: save your money for something else.

Also, i'm sure the Fire fans will get the same attention we do when they light stuff on fire, just as they have in the past.

7. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    I think the supporters group member (i edited the name out cause after rereading the post, I felt it could be taken as if I was calling him out directly) confronted that one guy harder than the undercover. He even chucked something at the guy as if he was marking him. I'm not mad at you for doing it, I thought it was pretty funny.
    Someone mentioned earlier about the possibility of a fight starting between the supporters group and people who have just come over to join in but aren't accustomed to how tings should be done. This could have been a prime example of that.
    If that was someone different or a different group of people, you could have very easily found yourself in a bad situtaion when you charged over and got physical with the guy. Like I said though, I am not hating on you, just think in certain circumstances that could have kicked off an even bigger problem.

Is the smoke bomb issue only with throwing? There was a guy near me who lit one, dropped it and got thrown out. Beasley came over and was trying to intimidate everyone with his fiercest "who lit it" snarl. I honestly didnt see who did and I think most people around me didnt pay attention either, but he was bound everyone knew. I undersand if he sees who did it, but don't hound everyone around assuming they know and you dont. I think they went and looked at the video cause they came back 5 minutes later and pulled the guy out.

A lot of people are aware of beasley and you would've thought he would at least where somehting different to the games and not the same thing everytime. He did get pointed out by a large number of people in the section who were chanting snitch (like when everyone called the guy a**hole for throwing beer the previous game). Then La Turbina stopped mid song to call him out as well.

8. digsincols

digsincols Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    This may belong in another thread, but it is security related.--- Every single time Chicago comes to town, a few of their fans come over to the north end, for one reason or another, but usually to taunt the Crew fans. Usually they talk a bunch of shit, until you get in their face- then they run to security whining about getting roughed up.

Every year CSC Security - including 'Steve Wilkos' (sorry don't know his name- bald and ugly...) stand and watch the fire fans come over and start shit, then want to kick everyone out, including the Crew fans. Every year. Security needs to be present and on top of this situation. ESPECIALLY now that we have CSC Secret Police in the crowd.

I don't care if the Fire Fans want to come over and watch after the half. I don't care if they are loud and cheer for their team. I enjoy talking to people that spend the time to come here for the games. But- the few assholes that come over to taunt and harass crew fans need to be kept out of the area.

9. fotobass

fotobass Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Everyone oughtta read that again, except I'd change it from 'could' to 'will'.

Because of the youtube rascist worddrop and Rolston's comments about being hit by batteries (in spite of the fact that no one found any batteries over there, as far as I know), there's extra scrutiny. Remember that the PA announcement, which serves as justification to throw any one out of the stadium, refers to 'throwing objects'. This hasn't been enforced with streamers, not even with rolls of cash register tape (which the TFC fans were throwing, and those suckers are heavy when tossed from 40-50 feet up). The league and the team have drawn a line at smoke bombs. If no one pushes them on it, then it's not going to be a problem.

10. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a whole 'nuther issue that I also thought about. There's probably a Fire goon or two reading/not reading this thread with intentions of mucking things up in our block. I remembered back in the day the one heavy set bald Polish fella that was actually amicable and had a genuine talk with some of the supporters in at the top of the block. But then there's the Legia hool wannabes that try to push the envelope, usually some skinny punk posing like he's Jason Statham. Allegedly they (Barnburners, Section 8, etc.) have cleaned up their ranks a bit. But like we say out on the seas, stand by for heavy rolls.

11. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If smoke bombs are getting in to the stadium then WTF is security at the front gate doing?

That's funny, I got searched like I was trying to board a frigging airplane on Saturday because I was wearing a supporters scarf. My girlfriend on the other hand, who walked in with a group of friends before I came in from the tailgate, carried a purse that is big enough to hold a human head and was not searched AT ALL.

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scarfal profiling?

13. HsH_Crew

HsH_Crew New Member

May 28, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's funny, I got searched like I was trying to board a frigging airplane on Saturday because I was wearing a supporters scarf. My girlfriend on the other hand, who walked in with a group of friends before I came in from the tailgate, carried a purse that is big enough to hold a human head and was not searched AT ALL.[/quote]

See thats weird and shows their main flaw...I walked in hooligan shirt scarf and bandanna over the face carrying a bookbag on my back with huge cargo shorts. All that happened was one guy patted by left pocket and let me in. Didnt care about the bag or cargo pockets. I could have brought in 20 smoke bombs 30 road flares and 2 molotov cocktails they would have been none the wiser so yea security starts at the gate.

14. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? I'm sorry I feel asleep half way through that. :)

Yeah, yeah, I know what your saying.

15. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why you give all your smoke bombs to your innocent looking girlfriends. :)

16. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I was in the same stuff, I didn't even get a second look. Just, "have a nice game." Maybe you just look like your up to trouble, jericho? :)

17. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to get searched everywhere I go. (Except Reds games, they never give me crap at Reds games.)

18. footy5

footy5 Member

Feb 27, 2008
    The D
    Looking at the pics crewfighter posted in the mls general: supporters pics thread......post #307 the guy in the beasley shirt sticks out like a sore thumb with his bright white jersey.

19. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I do know it's not that hard to get contraband in. Still, that stuff shouldn't be brought in. You know that.

Was it the same exact security guy? That -could- be an X factor in the equation.

I agree though. Front gate security needs to wake up.

20. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I feel for you, bud. I am somehow a target, as well. However, you are a drunk stumbler. ;) So I understand reasoning behind your suspect.

(What up, bitch) :D :D

21. jericho

jericho Member

Jan 24, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahahahaha!

I wasn't even drunk when I walked in to the game Saturday tho! Buzzed, yes. Drunk, not at that point.

(I'm never gonna live that one down am I?) :eek:

22. SP75

SP75 New Member

May 8, 2008
    I'm calling BS there buddy. You're always a drunk pillowbiter

23. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am now convinced that there are undercover "bad-guys" posing as Crew fans throwing smoke-bombs in an attempt to tear the united supporters groups in the Nordecke apart. Seriously, it finally looks like a supporters section on TV- great work.

If you want to prevent this from happening (and not just throw those folks out who have already thrown smokebombs), you've got to somehow eliminate either those people who have smokebombs, or eliminate the smokebombs. Either of these options would require a person search prior to entry of the stadium. Not something I think anyone wants. If the Crew were to somehow secure the Nordecke, they could search only those fans, but I don't think they would want that either.

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My favorite on the list from a couple of pages back is "no professional cameras". They define that strictly as a a camera with a "detachable lens". Of course, with the digital world coming into play, you can get pro quality (or at least as good as SLR quality--a pro camera does not a pro photog make) with quite a few cameras that do not have detachable lenses--some little different (even in looks) from a basic Canon Rebel SLR, except that the lens is built in. Wonder if CSC is a dumb as the Jackets folks tho--they told be that if I just left the lens with them I could continue to use my camera. No joke.

25. crewfighter

crewfighter New Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Claddagh's Roof
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look I'm sorry I have been sort of joking on this thread.

I just really think it's a mass cluster fudge of non-communication between FO, supporters, and CSC. On one side the FO, the players, Sigi, everyone is like that's what we want, that real European atmosphere. Then when some individuals confuse that by throwing smoke bombs on the field, they get tackled by some guy in a Beasley jersey and then the rest of us who usually don't throw them get looked at sorely.

I just think when you tell people flat out not to do something, that is going to give them more of a reason to do it. I don't even think CSC is really aware what is bannable and what is not. I don't think the fans are aware. And, really I think that banning things is where the real trouble comes. Plus, I'm not really sure the FO is aware on what they want to ban. If they were, they are not communicating it with us. It may help.

I know when people tell us to stop throwing streamers, even Don Garber, it just makes me want to do it more.

And, many, many clubs do smoke bombs professionally (yes, I know this is insanely hard for some of you bigsoccer folks to comprehend.) And, yes, DC fans have guys in the front of their section who light them after a goal. Many teams in Europe do smoke bombs and even flares in a professional manner. So why can't everyone just sit down and be amicable about it. Smart about it.

Crew FO: Okay we want you to look bad ass on TV, we want you to be real European. We want you to make it an intimidating place to play.

CSC: We want you to do all of that without doing all of that.

Crew drunk supporters: ******** it, I'm going to do what I want. Forget the consequences.

Listen, you tell everyone to cut that throwing them on the field shit out. Preferbly a leader before the game on a megaphone that actually works. You tell emm, but hey though since we are trying to bring an European atmosphere, if you have a smoke bomb, "light it up in this 3 by 5 sand pit box we have set up at the bottom of the section and you won't get kicked out for it. You won't have to deal with an undercover cop pretending like it's Eastern Germany 1989."

Then the old people in the section are happy because the smoke bombs are not ruining the prestine pitch or burning their imaginary coats. The young people are happy because they can still bring that European atmosphere without dealing with Beasley. And, CSC and the Crew FO are happy because they are not chasing smoke bombs all game with rakes, they are allowing their fans to be "European" in a safe controlled way, and their quelling a problem that will just get worse if you have a bunch of Rambo cops running a police state in the Nordecke.

Seriously there is a solution to make everyone happy. Just everyone wants to be on some higher level of ideals and not come down to other people's level to make it better for everyone.