Couple notes on merchandise with VW

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by DCU Merchandise, May 6, 2008.

1. DCU Merchandise

Apr 15, 2007
    RFK Stadium
    [​IMG]

1) Authentic & Replica Jerseys, Training Tops, Training Jerseys, & T-shirts all with the new VW logos will be available this morning when the team store opens at 11:00 along with all the kiosks for Thursday night's game.

2) If you have previosly purchased any merchandise that now features the VW logo you can have the logo added if you wish free of charge courtesy of VW. To do so please visit the Team Store or Jersey Stand inside C-Gate on the lower level.

3) There will be a special running starting today on home & away long sleeve authentic jerseys over at www.behindthebadge.com

Any questions please let me know.

Thanks,
    Nathan

2. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Awesome! The jersyes look great. Will be bringing my home and away jerseys to the game Thursday to have the VW logo put on.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I'm DEFINITELY gonna get one this Thursday. I like it. I'm glad to see the team finally get a major sponsor in the fold.

4. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Nathan,

Is the VW logo the same color for both home and away jerseys?

5. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    The logos look exactly the same (the only difference that I can see) is that the black gear has a small white border around the circular black logo.

6. blazindw

blazindw Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What kind of special? I went to the website, but it does not mention a special.

7. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As someone who is not a fan of advertising on jerseys, I do admit that the VW logo looks pretty slick on that jersey.

I think I'm gonna buy one on Thursday.

8. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    They do look the same, it's just that Goff mentioned that the white jersey had a black logo, and the black jersey had a white logo.

9. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press release from DCU:

D.C. United and Volkswagen ink landmark sponsorship agreement

Five-year partnership between Volkswagen and D.C. United highlighted by jersey sponsorship rights

Washington, D.C. (May 6, 2008) - D.C. United and Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced a five-year partnership agreement that will see the two brands join forces in a landmark deal that includes Volkswagen’s logo on the shirts of the most successful team in the history of American professional soccer. Volkswagen will also be prominently featured through a variety of other club and in-stadium marketing components. United will debut the new uniforms on national television Thursday night when the club hosts the Chicago Fire. Kick-off is set for 7:30 p.m. ET at RFK Stadium.

“As with all of our important decisions, we took a very strategic approach to engaging the market of potential jersey sponsors,” said United President and CEO Kevin Payne. “We wanted to be sure we found the right partner, and on the right terms. We're thrilled to have this relationship now with Volkswagen, which is ideal from our point of view -- a multi-national company with a strong brand, a cultural understanding of our game, a commitment to our community, and a reputation for thinking a bit out of the box. For us, VW is a perfect partner.”

In addition to the traditional advertising and promotional benefits often found in sponsorship agreements, Volkswagen was insistent on providing the fans of D.C. United some added value while attending games at RFK Stadium. Volkswagen’s fan initiatives include the Volkswagen Garage, a new interactive area located behind the north goal at RFK Stadium. The Volkswagen Garage will serve as a hospitality area and vehicle showroom with space for 1,000 people. The Garage offers a unique brand experience and features: soccer based car games, FIFA Xbox 360 stations, live T-shirt screen printing, branded merchandise, hammocks and Adirondack chairs for relaxation, and a whole lot more. Volkswagen will also be a participating sponsor of D.C. United’s Soccer Celebration located in Parking Lot 8.

“The ‘brand’ we put on our jersey is extremely important to us,” said United Co-managing Partner Victor MacFarlane. “We believe that the D.C. United brand stands for something significant and the ‘brand’ on the front of our jersey has to be compatible with our vision. Volkswagen fulfilled and exceeded our wishes. They are a company committed to excellence and customer service with an international reputation for both. Will Chang and I are delighted they have become our new partners.”

On game days, Volkswagen’s commitment to the fan experience will extend beyond the stadium and soccer celebration. All fans driving to United’s match on Thursday, against Chicago, will be treated to complimentary parking, courtesy of the new presenting sponsor. Going forward, the first 50 Volkswagens to enter lot 4 on gamedays will also be treated to a complimentary spot.

“Since Volkswagen is new to the greater Washington D.C. area, we wanted to find opportunities to support the local community and D.C. United was an obvious choice,” said Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “D.C. United is a great soccer team, committed to success both on and off the pitch. The team philosophy, mission and fans closely mirror our own corporate philosophy and customer base.”

In addition to the partnership with D.C. United, Major League Soccer and Volkswagen today announced a partnership that makes Volkswagen the official automotive partner of Major League Soccer. The partnership delivers MLS league and collective team marks and logos and marketing assets at league events such as the Pepsi MLS All-Star Game and MLS Cup, Major League Soccer’s championship game.

“We’re excited to partner with Volkswagen, a global brand with tradition in Football, Fútbol and Soccer,” said Doug Quinn, president of Soccer United Marketing. “With Volkswagen’s roots already embedded in the sport, this is a partnership that makes sense at both the club and league level.”

Volkswagen’s jersey sponsorship element makes the company the first group to adorn the front of United’s shirt in club history. Traditionally, the space is recognized as the most valuable inventory a soccer club has to offer and is reserved for a crest that supports the team, sharing in the organizational goals and ideals. Authentic and replica jerseys and other merchandise are now available in the D.C. United team store at RFK Stadium or by calling 202-546-7023. Fans that have previously purchased a 2008 authentic or replica jersey are able to have a Volkswagen logo added to their merchandise, courtesy of Volkswagen, by visiting the team store or the jersey stand inside C gate on game days

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Originally Posted by Goff
    When United wears white shirts, the VW logo will be black. When DCU is wearing black, the logo will be white.

"the VW logo will be black" means there's no "white border" on the logo.

"logo will be white" means there is a "white border" on the logo.

so, the black jersey as the white border on the logo.

the white jersey has the logo with no border (or you can't see the border, as it is the same color as the jersey).

11. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    Thanks tab5g! :)

So in a nutshell, what you're saying is that it could be the same logo?! Kind of like what I was already asking?:D:p

12. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Notes from the press conference from Booked for Dissent (Dave just called me)

-Gallardo is going to be the team spokesperson for VW

-VW is VERY big in Argentina, which Payne said he noticed when he was down there.

-VIP Lounge at RFK is now called the Volkswagon Lounge and has new paint job and a big silkscreen of Jaime. This all happened in the past 72 hrs.

K

13. alco_soccerstar

Nov 3, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is sooooo SWEEET!I am so excited to buy all the new merchandise with the new logo. I am also excited we have a global brand and not something more local such as what the Dynamo and RSL have.

14. sussexcentralsoccer

Nov 6, 2005
    Bethany Beach
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, where is the sale on the long sleeve shirts??

15. Pan-T Clause

Pan-T Clause New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It says on Behind the badge "more to come". Whatever that means. Aside from the obvious of course.

16. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    This is very true. VW's of all varieties and ages are everywhere. So are Philco appliances!

17. dcchelseafc

dcchelseafc Moderator
    Staff Member

DC United
    Sep 2, 2005
    Naptown
    Club:
    DC United
    where the stripes?
    :)

18. juan-john

juan-john New Member

Jul 5, 2007
    From Behind the Badge:

"To kick off the new VW partnership, we're offering long sleeve authentic jerseys - with the hot-off-the-press VW logo - at 25% off. The cost is normally $100, so you're getting the kit for $75. You can get either the home (black) or away (white) kit with this offer.Offer valid through 4/18/08, or while supplies last."

Uhh, mayhaps someone might wanna look at that date again? :p

19. jgildea8

jgildea8 New Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Capitol Hill
    Can we order them with names and numbers anywhere yet?

20. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    How about goalkeeper jerseys in a palette of colors?

[​IMG]

21. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia

you can get name and number done at RFK

22. RayWhitney

RayWhitney Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    NEVERMIND>>>

Open 11-6 today

+++++++++++++++++++

Would someone be so kind as to post the hours of the stadium store.

I would like to go over this afternoon, but it is a real effort to get there.

I know they opened at 11:00; until 5?

23. peregrine1988

peregrine1988 New Member

Sep 27, 2006
    For those of us not in DC, can we order them online? Or do we have to do this by phone for a few more days?

24. apqjr

apqjr Member

Aug 30, 2003
    PB Gardens, FL
    By phone. I just called for my order. Nathan and Company were awesome, as usual!