Does Anyone Remember Queens Park Rangers As The Tampa Bay Rowdies

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by TB ROWDIE, Mar 13, 2007.

1. TB ROWDIE

TB ROWDIE Member

Apr 11, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Iam trying to obtain information regarding the UK soccer team QPR playing under the name of the Rowdies, in the "1986 Coca-Cola Classic International Soccer Series", with some Rowdies guesting.
    So far the info that I have collected is:
    June 7th - vs. Glentoran - drew 1-1 (Chivers)
    June 14th - vs. Dundee Utd - drew 1-1
    June 21st - vs. Canada - lost 0-1
    July 4th - NASL All-Stars - ? (Coached by Pele)
    Roster
    1- Winston DuBose (Guest)
    1 - Peter Hucker
    2 - Gary Chivers
    3 - Justin Channing
    4 - Warren Neill
    5 - Steve Wicks
    7 - Steve Wegerle
    8 - Robbie James
    9 - Mark Loram
    11 - David Kerslake
    12 - Jimmy Carter
    14 - Alan McDonald
    15 - Gavin Maguire
    17 - Roy Wegerle
    18 - Dave Power (Guest)
    ? - Paul Barron
    ? - Arnie Mausser (Guest)
    Coach - Rodney Marsh

I have the program from the game against Canada, does anyone have any of the others?
    I also have a teamphoto taken before one of the games.
    Are there any names missing from the Roster? - Does anyone know the line-ups for the games, and the goalscorers?
    Hope this isn't a hard one for all you "stats" people!!!

2. TB ROWDIE

TB ROWDIE Member

Apr 11, 2004
    United Kingdom
    CAN ANYONE HELP ME, IAM TRYING TO LOCATE THE FOLLOWING PLAYERS:
    Justin Channing
    Steve Wicks
    Mark Loram
    Jimmy Carter
    Gavin Maguire

DO YOU KNOW HOW TO CONTACT THEM ? - MANY THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HAS HELPED ME IN THE PAST.

3. TB ROWDIE

TB ROWDIE Member

Apr 11, 2004
    United Kingdom
    QPR as the TAMPA BAY ROWDIES 1986

[​IMG]

Iam still looking for
    STEVE WICKS
    MARK LORAM
    JUSTIN CHANNING

4. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    These two stories moved on the UPI wire in June 1986:

United Press International

June 14, 1986, Saturday, BC cycle

SECTION: Sports News

LENGTH: 257 words

DATELINE: TAMPA, Fla.

The Tampa Bay Rowdies needed a nine-round shootout Saturday to defeat Dundee of Scotland 2-1 in the second game of Tampa's Coca Cola Classic International Soccer Series.

Dundee, from the Scottish Premier Division, scored the first goal when Graham Harvey slipped a pass to Jimmy Carter on the right side.
    Carter fired it into the goal at 12:42.

Tampa Bay scored its goal in the 70th minute. Steve Weggerle, standing with the ball near the 35-yard line, passed off to his brother Roy at the extreme right side of the goal. Roy waited until he was nearly at the side of the goal to take his shot, which sailed past the reach of goaltender Tom Carson.

With the score tied 1-1 after regulation play, the two teams went to the shootout to determine the winner.

Tampa Bay's Mark Loram scored first in the shootout. Dundee took a 2-1 lead after Harvey and Robert Conner both scored.

Weggerle faked goaltender Carson to tie the tiebreaker 2-2.

Dundee went ahead when John McCormack slipped one past Rowdy goaltender Peter Hucker, but Tampa Bay came back with goals by Steve Ricks and Jimmy Carter.

Tampa Bay outshot Dundee 15-8 with five players getting off two or more shots. Only one Scottish player shot more than once.

The Rowdies, host of the four-game international series, are 2-0. Tampa Bay's roster is composed mainly of players from the Queen's Park Rangers from the English First Division.

They will play the Canadian National team next Saturday, and July 4 they will play the NASL All-Star team, coached by Pele.

United Press International

June 22, 1986, Sunday, AM cycle

SECTION: Sports News

LENGTH: 256 words

DATELINE: TAMPA, Fla.

Canada defeated the Tampa Bay Rowdies 1-0 Saturday, the Rowdies' first defeat in Tampa's Coca-Cola Classic International Soccer Series.

The Canadian team was represented by players from Canada's Youth World Cup squad.
    The Rowdies were made up of players from the Queens Park Rangers from the English First Division.

The only goal of the game came in the 59th minute when Rowdies goaltender Peter Hucker strayed 25 yards from the net to break up a pass headed for Canada's Alec Bunvery. Hucker misplayed the ball and ended up flat on his face.

Lucio Ianiero, charging from the right, kicked the deflected ball into the empty net.

Canada appeared to be overmatched in the first half. The Rowdies dominated, taking eight shots on goalie Brian Rosenfeld.

The young Canadian team stood up well under the pressure of having the ball in their end of the field most of the half. Canada managed only one serious shot in the first half. Four others were grossly off target.

Tampa Bay outshot Canada 17-7 in the game. Rosenfeld finished with 7 saves, Hucker with 1.

Tampa Bay, 2-1 in the series, takes a week off before playing the North American Soccer League All-Stars, which will be coached by soccer hero Pele and includes former Rowdies Wes McLeod, Tatu, Mike McConnell and Mannie Rojas.

The Rowdies have attracted just over 14,000 fans in the first three games of the series, which was designed by the team owners to test Tampa's interest in outdoor soccer. The Rowdies withdrew from the troubled NASL in January, 1985.

6. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do remember this, IIRC this situation came about as a result of Rodney Marsh's connections to both clubs, he is of course a QPR legend from the 1960's and had played with the NASL Rowdies in the 70's. I also seem to recall reading somewhere that this exhibition series helped lead to QPR's signing US International Roy Wegerle, who had his best years as a pro at QPR in the early 90's, at a time when Rangers were a strong first level club and had great players like Les Ferdinand. Basically this was a training session for the QPR players who made the trip, though much of the roster wasn't QPR.

7. Chann

Chann New Member

Feb 18, 2008
    KENT
    Hi there.
    I am one of the Guys on the List you are looking for.

How can I help and do I know you

8. TB ROWDIE

TB ROWDIE Member

Apr 11, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Here are four of the QPR team that played:

[​IMG]

Hi Chann, did you get my email?

9. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
  10. golazo mvfc

golazo mvfc New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    Melbourne.
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  11. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    And who played for the NASL all stars that beat the Rowdies ?

Neeskens, Margetic, Hudson, who else?

12. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks for reviving the thread. Maybe TB Rowdie will finally thank me for rounding up the information he sought...