Chris Loftus to Bunkeflo?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Balerion, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://gramtrans.com/gt/url/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsport.malmolund.city.se%2Fart%2F1288%2Famerikansk_anfa

This article was dug up by a poster in the Revs forum. Chris Loftus is a former Duke forward who was on the Revs developmental roster last year, but failed to make an appearance. He's been on trial with Limhamns Bunkeflo IF and according to the article is going to sign pending a physical. Loftus is pretty tall and the article mentions that Bunkeflo is looking forward to using him as a target forward.

Bunkeflo is from Malmö and was promoted to the Superettan (2nd level) two seasons ago. Bunkeflo did fairly well in the Superettan last year, coming in 5th out of 16, six points from a promotion spot. I'm not sure about the Limhamns part of the name but it's possible there was a recent merger.

Tighe Dombrowski played in the Superettan last year with IK Sirius. I have no idea how he did, but he was last seen in camp with NYRB although he has since left. The Superettan is surely well below MLS standards, but if he picked the right club he might be able to parlay that into an Allsvenskan gig -- especially because the league expanded by two clubs this past year.

Edit: kudos to JMMUSA8 and dukefan for the legwork on this

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Nice catch and thanks -- will watch this.

3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. SoccerNation

SoccerNation New Member

Jan 9, 2006
    How much money is Chris likely to make in the superattan?

5. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly more than a dev contract and probably more than he would have had he gone to the USL, but I'd be surprised if he was making six figures.

6. aldemar

aldemar New Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Superettan isn't a financially strong league, so don't expect Loftus to make that much money. The main reason foreign players go to Superettan isn't the money but rather to use it as a window towards Allsvenskan and Europe in general.

7. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    From what I hear- contracts are in the 3-4 times what they can earn on developmental roster, plus some housing allowance. And they get more than 10-12 games as compared to the set up in MLS Reserve roster. Length of season appears to be about the same as MLS Feb- Nov. And they do get a chance to be seen by upper leagues in Europe

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Well, here's a story that says something in Swedish:

Amerikanen Chris Loftus är nu bara en underskrift från att spela i LB07 kommande säsong. Klubben har gett 23-åringen ett kontraktsförslag

Han ville fundera på det i några dagar. Det är mycket för honom att ta ställning till. Han vet ju inte vad den svenska kronan är värd, varför vi har så höga skatter och så vidare, säger LB07:s sportchef Johan Andersson.

Loftus har spelat för New England i amerikanska högstaligan, MLS. Närmast kommer han från Duke University i North Carolina där han spelat collegefotboll. Något som är en fördel för LB07 eftersom amerikanaren därmed är gratis. ​

I think it's saying he signed. Is that right? Article is recent so it seems possible.

[​IMG]

9. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    The article says that Chris Loftus is very close to sign a deal with LB07*. The only thing that is missing is name on the bottom of the contract. And that Loftus want to have some days to think it over.

10. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris signed his deal today.

11. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I spent some time working with Chris. This deal seems like a tremendous opportunity for him. I still think his best days as a player are ahead of him.

Thanks to all for the continued updates.

12. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Agreed. Great player, unbelievable work ethic and a true leader. Miss him at Duke! Best of luck to him.

13. manutd02

manutd02 Member

Oct 23, 2002
  14. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    1st goal of regular season (3 games in) scored 2 in pre-season and an assist

15. dukefan

dukefan New Member

Aug 26, 2006
    Had assist in last few minutes of game yesterday to tie up the game against 2nd place team Assyrian.

Det var i 87:e matchminuten som LB07 lyckades kvittera Assyriska-ledningen. Anfallaren Chris Loftus vann en duell efter en långboll och skarvade vidare till Anders Ekelund som drog till med högerfoten.

16. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States