Michael Parkhurst to Fulham?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by 60611, Nov 4, 2007.

1. 60611

60611 Member+

Jan 23, 2007
    Chicago
  2. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    Sheesh. At this rate I half expect to wake up and find myself playing for Fulham.

3. mtizzle

mtizzle Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Conshohocken
    As he showed yesterday against Altidore, Parkhurst surely has the pace for the Premier League. Cheap and good option for Sanchez. He needs help in that back four. I think Parkhurst is worth at least a million pounds, if not up to 1.5.

4. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His familia is from Ireland so there shouldn't be any work permit issues.

Nicol is known quantity and I'm sure Fulham likes what they've gotten in Dempsey, so this makes since.

If they were watching I'm sure they would've been impressed by the way Parkhurst handled big and fast boys, Angel and Altidore.

5. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hoooollllyyyy craaaap!!!!!! You stirred up a hornet's nest on this one bud, but a good one i assure you (if it was possible to stir up a "good" hornet's nest). :D

And i thought the Yank connection would close once Coleman left. Exciting stuff!!! Boca AND Parkhurst on Fulham's backline..... *sploooge*

6. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I sure hope this doesn't happen for obvious reasons.

Parky is the glue that hold the Revs defense together. Without him...well, I don't want to think about what life would be without Parky in a revs jersey.

From a soccer standpoint, this would be a dream move for him. Fulham are a good side and Parky would obviously already have some familiar faces in the locker room to make the transition that much better.

On the other hand, Michael's game is all about solid positioning, anticipation, and reading the game, which are obviously great traits to have and what alot of CBs are missing these days, but the guy is actually small for a CB and I'm afraid he might get pushed around a lot in the EPL.

One thing is certain...The New Revolution are not going to let Michael Parkhurst go cheap. He is more important to this team than Dempsey ever was and it will cost any team that wants him a pretty penny to prize him away, I'm sure of that.

7. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Parkhurst partner Boca in the middle for Fulham. It could be the perfect match for club and country. Their skills off set each other however the compliment each other as well. The WP is a non-issue condering his Irish roots. That's a definate advantage for him and any club chasing him in the UK. I like the option of Fulham. Boca needs help and Fulham could use it.

My question is this: why would NE let him leave? Is he out of contract? Would a transfer fee apply? If the Revs were reluctant to let Shalrie Joesph leave for Celtic why would they let Michael go. Seems to me like that would be a double standard.

8. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    i hope not... relegation is not woah

9. Hed7181

Hed7181 Member

Jul 1, 2003
    VA Beach, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right. New England are going to put a huge price tag on Michael Parkhurst. Like Joseph, Parky is practically indespensable for the Revs. To lose him would be to practically start over in defense for the team. If Joseph is worth more than 1 or 2 mil that Celtic offered for him, I have a feeling Parky is going to cost at least as much, especially considering his age and growth potential.

10. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many other MLS players do we know of that are like Parkhurst, that are talented enough to make a jump now or possibly in the near future, and for sure wouldnt need to go in front of the board for a permit? Stuart Holden gets through via the Parkhurst route, any other up and comers fit that bill that we know of?

Boca-Parkhurst....my god, im seriously foaming at the mouth at the thought of it. want to assure survival, getting McBride and Bullard back by Christmas and adding a solid anchor like Parkhurst goes an awful long way. And for national team consideration, if Im Parkhurst, and if i want to bounce Gooch this goes a lonnnng way, theres not really much downside to it (and dont say relegation :p)

11. golazo68

golazo68 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 21, 2004
    Brazil
    Count me as skeptical that Parkhurst can hold his own physically as a central defender in the Prem. I think he could as a defensive midfielder after a one year learning curve.

The problem with playing most MLS players is that they are either (1) physically strong, but tactically slow or (2) not physically that strong, but fairly quick and tactically good.

Parkhurst is tactically GREAT and physically good. So it works in MLS, he can rise above most any challenge.

In the Prem, he is going to face guys who are skillful, tactically savvy (and know all the little dirty tricks) AND are physically dominant. I see that as a problem close to goal.

In the 20 to 50 yard range from goal, I can see Parkhurst compensating with his natural strengthes. Physically less an issue that far from goal.

12. JuanPeron

JuanPeron Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    St. Vincent and the Grenadines
    I pray this never goes down. Parkhurst deserves better.

13. Altidore_Adu_Fan

Sep 30, 2007
    Hammond In
    any were but fulham or derby ....

14. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Its a good move, and I think that he will do fine. Fulham won't go down I think Wigan will go this year along with Derby, and Sunderland.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not disrespecting your opinion at all, your fear is certainly warranted, but im surprised alot more people arent embracing this move.

Sure parkhurst doesnt have the physical attributes, but everyone here would argue that save for maybe Jimmy Conrad (and even then you have an arguement) that Parkhurst is the smartest defender that we have right now. Parkhurst the field marshall, Bocanegra rolling up his sleaves to do the dirty business. It really is a good complimentary tandem.

Fulham arent going down, McBride and Bullard when healthy will see to that. But if they snag parkhurst, it could seriously mean a secure finish, like 13th.

Ive got Derby, Wigan, and Boro for the drop. Sunderland and Brum eek it out.

16. OKTerrific

OKTerrific Member

Sep 10, 2005
    The River End
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, this is seriously getting rediculous with the Americans.

17. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    How many more years on his MLS contract?

18. MaebyTonight

MaebyTonight New Member

Jun 6, 2007
    I thought I read in an article somewhere after next year his contract was up. I'll see if I can dig it up...

19. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    these two are smart people... the LAST place he needs to go is Fulham... especially with Sanchez in charge, where its just bomb ahead and hope for the best... it would actually be a bad match for his skill set, imo

20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Seems like Shalrie's issue was like Twelman's as much a money issue as wanting to play abroad. Dempsey stated his desire not to resign with the league. I don't think Joseph did the same. Of course Shalrie could have like Nelsen and Bocanegra just let his contract expire and go on a free.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The standard MLS deal is two years plus two more one-year league-held options.

So, assuming this is what he signed coming out of college and assuming he hasn't re-upped for a new deal since then, then he should have one more season left on his deal as this is his third MLS season.

22. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Parkhurst is extremely good at his role in a 3-man backline. If he can prove himself in a 4-man backline, and in the EPL, then that should cement his place in the US backline for a long time.

23. kaka'22

kaka'22 New Member

Aug 14, 2005
    New York
    It really is, its kind of funny. I thought it was just a Coleman thing.

I'm a litte aprehensive about this move for a couple reasons. I would hate to see Parkhurst go to Fulham and then have him or Boca not start. Even yesterday, the Reading-Fulham announcers were suggesting that Boca and Konchesky were going to have a hard time getting back into the starting lineup because of how well the back four played. It would also suck if Fulham got relegated.

I aslo think Parkhurst's game would be so much more suitable for a team in Italy or Spain. It would be awesome if Parkhurst could be playing for an Italian or Spanish team that typically competes in the UEFA cup. That would be the perfect level for him IMO. I would hate to see MP jump ship too quickly and end up in a Feilhaber type situation.

24. shinzui

shinzui New Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Gulf Shores
    If Fulham gets relegated they will blame it on Americans not being good enough rather than Sanchez not being a good manager.

25. Scorpion26

Scorpion26 Member

May 1, 2007
    NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Have you watch any Fulham games, because that was a ridiculous statement you just made.