ESPN commentators and idiotic comments

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Matt D, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Matt D

Matt D Member

Mar 17, 2006
    new orleans
    So if you watched tonights MLS playoff game you surely heard Eric Wynalda's "Looks like California" comment while the camera showed a flare going off in Section 8. This comment immediately reminded me of Rob Stone's unforgettable "He went down like he got shot by a sniper" comment in the midst of the DC sniper shootings a few years back. The game, IIRC, was at RFK, too.

What is it with these guys and making insensitive current events references? Am I the only one that doesn't find these funny? Surely they have producers that advise them that this is not what they should be mentioning during a sporting event. These guys need to wake up.

2. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I was stunned by Wynalda's comment too..

3. jammybastard

jammybastard Member

Oct 7, 2003
    Flyoverland
    It's because they are a couple of smug a*s*s*holes.

4. HTownSoccerGuy

Mar 29, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Im not saying it was ok, but look who said it. Eric Wynalda doesnt always think before he speaks. Glenn Davis didnt know what to say when he said that

5. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It was a cheap attempt by EW to add humour to the telecast. He failed miserably. IMO, he should come out and apologize for his remark, if he hasn't done so already...

6. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric lives in California.

It was a flip comment, but I don't think he was being insensitive (at least, I don't think he meant to be insensitive).

Plus, what's strange is it wouldn't even be the worst thing Eric has said that he's had to apologize for this year. :)

7. Heartofmid

Heartofmid Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Acushnet
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, at least Whinealda didn't spend ten straight minutes bashing the referees. Oh yeah, he spent that talking about contact lenses.

Let's face it, he is just a very bad announcer. I'd be happy if the start of his sentence and the end of his sentence dealt with the same topic.

8. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I laughed.

9. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA
    Newsflash:

Wynalda is not as funny, as smart, as eloquent or as handsome as he thinks he is.

Nothing new here.

10. MNAFETSC

MNAFETSC Member

Feb 5, 2000
    Blacksburg
    People are just to sensitive and get butt hurt very easily these days.

11. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Did you hear that EPL broadcast this morning? Martin Tyler made reference to a battering ram. Surely he recognizes how insensitive this comment surely is, given the trauma the Cupperdish household of West Bromswidge suffered at the hands of Viking marauders in 967 AD!

Announcers clearly can't be trusted! I say fire the lot of them and go with the "Fanzone" all the time.

12. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    ya. i live in california and could see the fires from my house, i dont care. but the thursday night games have horrible commentary/camerawork.

13. CLEATS

CLEATS New Member

May 2, 2005
    I agree.I find myself enjoying these thursday night games less and less each week,even though i'm watching them in hi-def on a 50 inch screen.I enjoy the games on FSC and even the regional telecasts much more even though sometimes the video is horrible.At least i don't feel like i'm watching the XFL or the WWE.

14. hehe

hehe New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    haha, same here. i'll take crappy SD on FSC over the espn2HD.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eric doesn't have that little off switch that most humans have that filters and edits his internal dialogue before it reaches the rest of the world.

That's partly why he's one of my favorite announcers. Every now and then you'll hear something like this. But I'd much rather listen to him than most of the bland, I'm-not-going-to-be-politically-incorrect analysts in almost any sport you can name.

16. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    That's true, and I'd go further and say that he's NOT someone who dabbles in calculated outrage. He's not yelling at people. He's not baiting people. He's being honest. Occasionally tactless.

17. Heartofmid

Heartofmid Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Acushnet
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If Whynealda's general commentary was inspired I'd agree with you. The problem is that it seems to come out sounding like my seven year old son after I tell him to clean his room.

He often quotes his "players win games, coaches lose games, and refs ruin games" line, then he will say something to the tune of "There is a reason why I say this". I think the reason is to bring attention to himself, to try to seperate himself from the pack of announcers. Sorry, this is not why I tune in to a match.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's not a polished broadcaster (hell, he's only been at this a few years and he's had, basically no training). Right now, about the only thing he has in his arsenal is his brutal honesty.

That's a start. They can work with that. But no one seems to want to.

I think he wants to be good at this, but it would be a major personality shift for someone to whom the game has always come easily to all of a sudden work like a demon and become a great broadcaster virtually overnight.

I can't think of a lot of people I'd rather have in that spot than Wynalda. He needs some coaching, though. But I'm afraid that someone might try to bleed the honesty and frankness out of him, and that wouldn't be a good thing.

Hey, you can always have Ty Keough back, if you want him.

19. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    Correct me if im wrong,but I could have sworn that he said "It looks like Italy".

20. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I thought this exact same thing after the game Thursday. Then I thought... he should still know how to act professionally and shut the ******** up.

21. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He said that Italy line right before the California comment.

22. southpaw817

southpaw817 New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Queens,NYC/Wantagh
    Oh ok thanks.

23. lokar

lokar New Member

Oct 13, 2006
    ESPN ruins everything they cover, NASCAR fans are even having a "The moment ESPN/ABC made me glad I had NASCAR Hotpass was..." contest going on now. While I personally hate NASCAR, I am not surprised to hear they are ruining it along with everything else they cover. I find MLS games completely unwatchable on ESPN with the constant graphic clutter, needless closeups, shrinkage of the game to 1/4 of the screen for stupid game recaps, showing people on the sidelines while the game is going on (especially Beckham of course) and the list goes on and on. It is obvious it absolutely kills ESPN to go 45 minutes without promoting themselves in some way, so they basically don't.
    Unfortunately I have worked in television and can guess what goes on behind the scenes - people work on the event who don't care about or like the event in question but find "cool" ways of using their graphics computer or a new place to put a camera to do things they think will look cool and will impress their coworkers/bosses instead of thinking of how the viewer will watch their event. They will go home thinking they did a good job if they got a camera to work in a location that hasn't been done before without thinking twice about whether the new angle was better or worse for the viewer watching at home. End of diatribe.

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He should. But, like I said, he doesn't have the same regulator most of the rest of us do.

Remember, they basically took the guy off the field and put him on the sideline and then right up to the booth. He hasn't put it all together yet. Maybe he never will. But the California comment was more just Eric being Eric than Eric being malicious.