Emirates Cup

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Highbury, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Emirates Stadium to host pre-season tournament

"The competition, which has been named the Emirates Cup, will take place on Saturday 28th July and Sunday 29th July 2007, and joining the Gunners in this exciting tournament will be newly crowned Serie A champions Inter Milan, French giants Paris Saint-Germain and Bundesliga side Hamburg SV."

"Two matches will be played on each day, with the kick-off times being at 2pm and 4.15pm, with one ticket giving fans access to both matches on that particular day. The Club is also pleased to announce that Arsenal members will receive exclusive first rights on purchasing tickets for this high profile tournament."

"Teams will be awarded 3 points for a win, 1 point for a draw and will also earn 1 point for each goal they score in the competition. The winners will be presented with the inaugural Emirates Cup trophy after the second match on Sunday 29th July."

I really like the point for a goal idea to spice up a pre-season event. Ticket sales are going to be alotted the same as usual, but much cheaper prices.

2. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This sounds like a tremendous amount of fun - I wish I could go.

3. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What players does everyone think we'll see? A full strength lineup vs. Inter? Maybe Henry and Cesc not participating at all. I definately see RvP playing in the two matches.

4. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    This is tempting; very tempting. I love Arsenal, and I follow PSG as much as I can also (a real train wreck this year though).

5. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    I could see Inter losing to Arsenal and PSG but winning the tourny after giving Hamburg a 18-0 hiding :D .

6. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't get it, so we only play 2 of the 3 teams? That just seems weird to not play a game against all 3. Was that how it was in the Amsterdam tourney, i never really paid attention.

7. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it would pretty amusing if PSG get relegated to Ligue 2, being the first G14 club to do so besides Juventus, and were still regarded as a European giant as part of the advertising for this tournament.

8. red & wite army

red & wite army I ain't no drama queen!

Jan 15, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yes, it was the same in Amsterdam - we never played Boca last year, only Porto and Ajax.

9. shincan

shincan Member

Sep 19, 2005
    I thought of that too. Won't happen now, though, but would have been quite the oddity.

10. bigp

bigp New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    TDOT
    PSG and Hamburg are sponsored by Fly Emirates.

11. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot about that, what a strange coincidence, huh? ;)

12. gooner4eva

gooner4eva New Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Bangor University
    i think everyone here has glossed over the fact THAT VIEIRA IS RETURING :eek: . I CANT WAIT!!!!!
    still love the guy for all he has done for us.
    i just hope that 1 of the 2 games we play is againt inter, if not ill still go and watch him play, 1 more time.:)

13. HomeatHighbury

Mar 25, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was thinking the same thing. Paddy returns once again

14. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think of that at all.

15. Highbury

Highbury Member

May 13, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, we play PSG then the tournament ends with us playing Inter.

16. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i'm guessing it will be the B team against PSG and the A team against Inter?

17. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Based on recent results I vote for Arsenal Ladies against PSG.

18. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are PSG back in the relegation zone? They looked safe last time i checked, but they seem to be going in and out of the bottom 3 on a regular basis.

19. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah, they aren't going to make the drop this season - they are safe, but Arsenal Ladies are champions of europe - a french team fallen from grace should be easy pickings.

20. SKP10

SKP10 New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Taiwan
    mayb Arsenal's U-18 against PSG? hehe...and btw does anyone know when walcott is getting back from injury, i would like to see him play in the emirates cup