The Off-Season Near News and Rumors Thread :: Part IV

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Knave, Jan 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United
    So a little more than a month before an international tourney, and our strike force is Moreno, Walker, MAYBE Emilio? our flank players are Gros and...? Moose?

:eek:

SIGN SOME OFFENSIVE PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is awful, is there any way that we wont get clobbered in this thing?

2. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah.

By the time the game takes place in a month and a half, we'll have had camp, signed players, and had time to gel. We'll have engineered trades or signings for what we need and probably discard what doesn't work. Deals will pass, deals will fail, but DC's world won't stop spinning because it doesn't happen exactly as planned.

3. Vasco

Vasco New Member

Jun 8, 2003
    RIO
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Luciano Emilio joins DC

sounds great to me, but Ruy isn't coming, as i sit an listen to my new brazilian music cd.

4. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazilian music always sounds great...

Now, just add at least one more Brazilian and we're back to the Samba Boyz.

5. Real Mobile

Real Mobile Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Benny Hill is dead to me.

6. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA

Lucky. Gotta be.

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium

Well it is now!

8. Doug Dobey

Doug Dobey New Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Whatever his nickname (and if he does indeed become a DCU striker), this Fall fan will be singing, "Hey! Hey! Luciano!" when he scores his first goal for us.

9. ZoomZip

ZoomZip Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Crystal City, VA

And when he misses, can we sing "It's a Church of Povertay-uh! I said uh Hey Hey!"

The great thing about Fall songs is even the most tone deaf of us can sing them.

10. Doug Dobey

Doug Dobey New Member

Nov 27, 1999
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe that's why I like them so much. I definitely reside in the tone deaf camp.

11. Talion

Talion New Member

May 24, 2004
    VA
    From the amusingly-improbable category of rumors comes this gem from a Tanzanian newspaper's report on its national team:
    Could this be a shock new signing? The article talks about how their Brazilian coach was vacationing in Brazil over the holidays, so maybe he ran into Kevin Payne and Dave Kaspar in a hotel bar and talked up this guy?

OK, well, maybe not. It appears Elvis (in addition to not being dead) saw some spot duty with the Nothern Virginia Royals in 2005. That's, uh, geographically close to being on DC United. He might have even been a teammate of DC United star GR Cannon while he was there.

12. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For anyone who cares -- Jamaican international and former Harbour View striker Luton Shelton, who some of us were impressed by two years ago at the CCC and were hoping United might look his way, has apparently just moved from Helsingborg to Sheffield United for £1 million.

13. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    So how do we interpret this? An indication that the asking price for him was out of our league and we couldn't afford him? Or proof that we should've snatched him up when we had the chance as he turns out to be worth close to $2MM in the transfer market two years later?

14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno -- I don't know what Helsingborg paid for him, so I dunno whether he was a possible purchase a year or two ago or not. I posted it because there are some DCU fans who have still been hopeful we might go after this guy; this deal probably reduces the chances of that happening to zero.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not sure what this really counts as, but I love the new banner at the top of the DC United homepage. Too bad we can't make a banner like that for home games...

16. LN - Dougg

LN - Dougg Member

Aug 26, 2004
    Dale City, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I wish they would make a huge one with that design and place it over the hole baseball has put in our stadium.

17. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    You mean like the one Mike Terry has made?

[​IMG]

Check out the bottom row. It's not the best picture, just the first I found.

Thx,

Jay!

18. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/grant_wahl/01/17/beckham.qa/index.html

The jerseys better not be black. :mad:

19. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
  20. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    When I think of the Galaxy, I think of brown.

[​IMG]

21. DMP73

DMP73 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Alexandria
    I just read the article and its great. I know folks are talking about it in other threads, but everyone should take a close look at it. First time I had read that the 5,000 season tickets that L.A. sold were "new" That's pretty good if you ask me.

Totally different note: maybe Australia should sponsor the Galaxy? Dark blue with a bit of red on their flag with stars (Southern Cross right?) That would be cool. ;)

22. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham has his own line of adidas apparel which uses a lot of dark blue. This rebranding will probably see the Gals in an adidas Beckham Predator jersey or something that looks very close to that line.

23. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not disagreeing with you.....

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that explains this sudden interest in changing colors and badges.
    Which is weak, by the way - say you want to sign a guy to "enhance the image of your brand", then completely change the entire image.
    In what version of space is "a galaxy" either blue or black anyway - did none of these guys ever take a science class higher than 6th grade?

25. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I believe Alexi Lalas has a galaxy confused with a black hole or a void (and even then, he may have two different types of holes confused). Not the first time--after all, wasn't he determined he wanted TFKAM to be a supper club and he declared that he wanted none of his LA Gal players to be boars?