Shay Given

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Wide Boy, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Wide Boy

Wide Boy New Member

Aug 23, 2002
    London
    What do you lads think of Shay?

While his shot stopping is still great, he has worried us recently with a lack of confidence in coming for crosses.

In yesterday's game he seemed to have decided to punch rather than catch them and it made him look a lot better.

Mind you, having Woodgate playing brilliantly and Andy O'Brien in for Titus might have helped.

2. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He is a better than most premiership goalkeepers, I'd say in the top 6 or 7.

3. Gunners11

Gunners11 Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I also think Shay is one of the top keepers in the EPL. Some of his decisions have been questionable this year, but overall, I think he is one of the top 5 keepers in England.

4. frankk

frankk New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Dublin/Donegal
    I've read on the newcastle message board (rivals.net) that either given or shearer will get player of the year. andy o'brien for most improved.

Given is top quality. i'm sure that any glitches are only temporary

5. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I thought he was good yesturday. I don't get why people see punching as being a bad thing, if he punches onto a Newcastle player it can set up a counter attack. He was quick off his line and that was crucial against a player like Henry. One of the finest keepers in the premiership/Europe, easily.

6. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Shay Given is a star and we are lucky to have him. Just watched him play against PSV at St.James's Park and he didn't put a foot wrong. He caught the ball when he could and punched it away effectively when he couldn't.

He is, in my opinion, the most consistant all-round goalkeeper in the Premiership. When was the last time he made a mistake? I can't think of one instance. Is there any other keeper in the Premiership that you can say that about?

7. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Antti Niemi
    Dean Kiely
    Edwin van der Sar

I know that you can pick out the odd mistake from them, but you can from any keeper (Given included). But yes, Given is a quality keeper who ups his game for Ireland, imho.

8. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I disagree, he's an absolute star for Newcastle, they love him there. His form for them is as good as his form for us.

9. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I know that he is a big player for Newcastle and well liked. To be honest, I don't see him all too frequently for Newcastle, but where he seems to be a big player for them, he is a huge player for us, imho.