So with all the talk of the possibility of a stadium..

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Tigereye, Nov 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    New SSS rumor puts stadium DOWNTOWN....

FIRST OFF, Im just the messanger......saw this piece of information at the Houston Architecture Info forum and thought I would pass it along to you guys

According to a poster there "it sounds like" Dynamo are going to build their stadium downtown just east of Minute Maid Park. This would put the facility in the Warehouse District, which has seen alot of Loft development lately.

You can view the actual thread in the link I provided earlier in this post.

A little Background info on the Houston Architecture Info site....its a forum devoted to the ongoing development in Houston. Some posters have had scoops to information on proposed projects (like Houston Pavilions) before the porject was announced to the public. Now i'm not saying "the scoop" is necessarily true, but being that it was posted on HAIF, it makes me comfortable to pass this along to others seeing as posters usually post credible information there, not false bullsh*t.....

Discuss.

2. Bandido

Bandido Member

Apr 6, 2006
    Deperrosbravos N.L.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Re: New SSS rumor puts stadium DOWNTOWN....

That would be fantastic.,That means,if I buy a condo around MMP,I won't need to drive like 30 min. from Greenspoint.:)

3. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*Oo* I like.

4. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Member+

Jun 28, 2002
    Houston

Nice find. That would be a great location for the stadium. Hopefully the team will have some news about the stadium plans during the offseason.

5. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

First off - thanks Tigereye for the scoop!

I think having the stadium close to downtown may go a long way toward keeping attendance up plus allowing for a nice view of the downtown Houston skyline like we have from Robertson.

Although the trend seems to be toward building soccer complexes in outlying suburbs - I'm not sure that would be the best thing for us. Putting our stadium downtown keeps us in the sports public's eye - can't truly ignore us if you drive by our stadium on a regular basis ("look kids - that's Minute Maid park where the Astros play - and there's [insert favorite stadium name] where the Dynamo play").

I think having the Dallas stadium in Frisco killed their attendance. I wonder how the Chicago stadium is faring - though I don't think that one's as far outside of Chicago as Frisco is, is it? I could be wrong, of course.

I wonder when the stadium will be built? Do you think we'll have it for season 3? season 4?

Will it have a retractable roof with A/C like the Astros and Texans have or will they not spend that kind of money? I certainly would not want to sacrifice real grass just to have a retractable roof - but if they could do it like Minute Maid Park and Reliant Stadium then that would work with real grass, right?

I can't wait until they announce the plans and we can pine over all the 3d renderings and such.

6. santeroatomico

santeroatomico New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

That would be awesome with discovery greens, Toyata Center, MMP and the convention center that look like a great place. The only problem will be that the construction of Discovery Green is going to get rid of a lot of parking space. Everytime there will be a Baseball game the same day of a soccer game, it will make for a very interesting parking hunt.

7. BPBlueSox

BPBlueSox Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Aug 21, 2003
    Georgia
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Please let this happen. MLS needs more stadiums in downtowns and not in the boonies.

8. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That would be sweet! That is my first, realistic, choice for a stadium. (My first choice would be AstroWorld....). However, as several people pointed out, that is an unsubstationated rumor so...*shrug* When's the game?

9. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They have a contract with UH for their first three seasons. I'd imagine they'd be in a new stadium after that.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I say it'll be after they get an owner....if they get one next year, I can see it in Season 4...if not, expect it in Season 5 or 6:(

11. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Now given my knowledge in the real estate sector....if this is indeed true, like I am currently believing it to be, the only site I can concieve the SSS being constructed is the Minute Maid surface lots, which are owned by Oliver Luck's former employer, the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority.

Now despite the SSS taking away all of the Astros parking, this could still happen. Harris County would just have to construct huge and expensive parking garage to compensate the Astros for their lost parking as well as accomodating Dynamo's fans. And given Oliver Luck's ties to HCHSA and the Astros for negotiating and managing the construction of Minute Maid Park, the prospects of the aquisition of the Astros surface lots to be used as the site for a new SSS look even better. I just dont see this facaility being built elsewhere in downtown as this would process of eminent domain and demolition, making the project even costlier the it will be.

Bottom line....if this is true dont be surprised if the site of the SSS is the Astros current surface lots.

BTW, this would give us Dynamo fans something to brag about in any SSS discussion threads......this site would put Dynamo's SSS closer to a city center then any other facaility planned or constructed in the MLS.

12. DynaKat

DynaKat New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I know it's way too soon to really be happy about this, but I do hope it happens.

13. chrishungate

chrishungate Member

Dec 16, 2005
    Katy, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Oh yeah, I forgot about that 3-year contract. So season 4 is the earliest, then...and new owners to come before then probably. Hopefully they won't rebrand the team like Red Bull did (good lord I don't really want to open that can of worms)

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Woo hoo!!! *jumps for joy*:cool:

15. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

I will go and light my candles to La Guadalupana now.

16. Tigereye

Tigereye Member+

(ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Aug 19, 2005
    (ಠ_ಠ)┌∩┐
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo

Ill make you jump for more joy.....

This site is so close to downtown, its highly unlikely any future stadium in any other city will be built any closer EVER....

Like all of you...I want this to be true. Given the reputible site its coming from, I have a very good feeling it will be. Heck, I myslef have contributed scoops of my own. Unfortunately, we'll just have to wait for more information to surface.

And here's another scoop widely known and confirmed at HAIF......if you like Chinese food, you can do your Dyanmo pre-game meals at Yao's Restaurant, which is being built downtown as part of the Houston Pavilions entertainment project......

And one more note: The poster who posted Dynamo's SSS rumor is also our source on Houston Pavilions...so far everything he has said in regards to Houston Pavilions has come to fruition. Boy, I hate to say this guarantees it but man....I just cant help it.

This is Houston Pavilions Downtown......ground breaking Nov 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 3VIL L33T

3VIL L33T New Member

Apr 16, 2006

+1 :D

I Bet Harris County = Sylvia Garcia

18. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks, Tigereye - that would probaby be the best possible location. It's within reasonable walking distance of the MetroRail, and there's plenty of parking all along the rail line.

19. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX

If they put the SSS downtown here, then I predict the Houston Franchise will make as much or more money than LA, Washington, or Chicago.

Unless eventually he is forced to own only one team = why would AEG want to let that go?

20. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

True, but I doubt the 'stros would see it that way. Parking already blows cheese at MMP. I know I wouldn't want to park super far away, then take the light rail....but I'd do it anyways :D Probably the thing that'd suck the most is if there is any overlap between the 3 teams/venues. Can you imagine the overlap between the 'stros and Dynamo, plus concerts/Rockets/Comets/Aeros? Jeeze...that'd be interesting

Of course, we'd have the best facility in all of MLS on the best ground, so who am I to complain? :D

21. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well, FCD reportedly earned a profit this year - and that's with a venue way out in Frisco that's struggled to draw as well as the team had in earlier seasons (although their attendance also increased this year). But anyway, yeah, a downtown venue would offer a lot in this market.

Check out the site for Red Bull Park, which also be an urban venue - not in Manhattan, of course, but still definitely an urban venue. It's part of the Harrison Center redevelopment - see the Site Plan. Very cool. I believe the proposed venue in DC would be a similar urban project.

22. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:p Isn't all of Jersey and New York urban anyways? Not like they have any "rural" areas there. No suburbs to speak of...just tall buildings and taller building :p

23. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

There are a lot of blocks near MMP that are currently undeveloped or underdeveloped that could be converted to parking garages. The market will also respond to change. If downtown redevelopment continues with projects like the Pavillions and a new Dynamo venue, then the market will respond with more garage parking downtown. Houston's downtown is still pretty underdeveloped compared to similar central business districts around the country.

In the long term, Houston has the potential to develop the Downtown-Midtown-Museum Dist-Med Center spine into a really vibrant urban setting with lots of mid- to high-density mixed commercial, residential, and various specialized destinations. We can go from a city in which the center rolls up the sidewalks at night and on weekends to one in which its core actually thrives every day, all day, and much of the night. The archis could probably address the question better, but I suspect we're on the verge of that sort of future and it would dramatically change what sort of city we live in - and I think for the better, a lot better.

A little parking hassle would be a very small price to pay. ;)

24. santeroatomico

Feb 16, 2006
    East End Houston

NJ is VERY suburban once you move out of Newark.

Hey, do not forget the the Discovery Greens is going to eat some parking space too.
    So parking will be a BIG huddle.

25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Touche touche. But, we all know this city that we love....muchas personas will have to be dragged kickin' and screamin' all the way...and they will cry about the parking initially....tis the town we live in. Though, long term, that'd be awesome. One big positive for having lots of games going on at once is that those people driving by will be deafened by the noise coming from MMP and Dynamo Stadium (for lack of a name....)