Boswell Chat - 8/17

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by monster, Aug 15, 2006.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Excellent :cool:

3. dadman

dadman Yo soy un papa

DC United
    United States
    Apr 13, 2001
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. s0ccerm0m

s0ccerm0m New Member

May 8, 2005
    Do you know if we can view this chat after-the-fact? I won't be able to view it live.

5. SteveWWJ

SteveWWJ Member

Jan 28, 2003
    Reston, VA
    prolly not... I think they usually put these chat transcripts under lock and key, so only ESPN "Insiders" (read: pay customers) get to see them.

Maybe someone can copy it before it ends...

6. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    It's on.

7. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    IN case the link dies.

Bobby Boswell: (1:59 PM ET ) I'm ready to go!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Bob (MD): Bobby -- it's clear that you've helped make D.C. the class of MLS. What will it take to advance further in tournaments like the CONCACAF Champions Cup or the Copa Sudamericana?

Bobby Boswell: (2:01 PM ET ) We have to go into those games knowing we can compete and have confidence we can win games like that. When we went to Mexico we didn't play confidently and got beaten badly, Our mentality let us down and we have to avoid that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Scotty S. (Dallas, TX): You think you'll head to Europe anytime soon? Given 2 good showings against Chelsea, have any teams expressed interest?

Bobby Boswell: (2:02 PM ET ) My agent takes care of all that stuff, but I'm happy here in MLS. If I get the chance I'll think about it but right now I'm happy with DC United.

Oscar (Miami, Fl): Hey Bobby it's great to see an FIU player have success in MLS after they considered disbanding the program...any chance we could see you wearing the USA jersey?

Bobby Boswell: (2:03 PM ET ) My goal is to represent the US in 2010 and I work every day to improve enough to be on that team. I would love that opportunity and that's my long-term goal.

Washington DC: Hey Bobby, Word around town is that you are one of the guys that volunteers to make appearances when United is out in the community - especially with kids. What do these kind of appearances mean to you. What do you get out of them. Keep up the good work - on and off the field.

Bobby Boswell: (2:05 PM ET ) It's very important to the community becuase we are in the DC area and we can give back to a community that has embraced us. We have faithful fans and it's nice to have the chance to show some appreciation. Working with the kids is great fun for me and if I can put a smile on someone's face it's been a good day.

Steven (Ontario, CA): Hey Bobby, congrats on the great start to your 2nd season, and a great career overall. What would you say has been the biggest match of your career?

Bobby Boswell: (2:07 PM ET ) Probably this year's MLS All-Star Game because it was an honor to be selected and to be playing against Chelsea again was a great opportunity. There were a lot of expectations and I'd like to think we met them against a great team.

Matt (Los Angeles, CA): Thanks for taking my questions! How would you assess your game's progress since the end of your rookie year? What lessons learned do you take from playing matches against the likes of a Chelsea or Real Madrid? I can't wait to cheer for you and the DC boys back in LA against Chivas! Head one in for me!

Bobby Boswell: (2:10 PM ET ) There weren't many expectations last year as a rookie and I've had to be more confident and get after teammates and directing traffic. That's the biggest thing. Playing against those great teams shows you how many great players are out there and gives you something to build on and carry over into league play. It can help your confidence.

Nick Coffman (Louisville): In your opinion, which MLS team has been the toughest to defend this season?

Bobby Boswell: (2:12 PM ET ) All the teams we play are pretty tough. Our rivals are always tough, for sure, and you always want to send a message to them. The toughest thing we've dealt with is being up a goal late in the game and trying to preserve a lead. We've given up some late goals and that's something we need to work on as a team. Every MLS team has weapons.

Brent (Charlotte): Bobby what is your favorite stadium in the MLS to play in?

Bobby Boswell: (2:13 PM ET ) RFK is by far my favorite place to play because of the fans. Outside of that, I enjoy playing in Dallas becuae I have some family there and we've never lost there.

Eric, Virginia: How do you like to spend your free time when you aren't playing for D.C. United?

Bobby Boswell: (2:14 PM ET ) I hang out with my teammates alot. We go to movies, hang out, out to dinner, just simple things that keep it low key.

Eric (Springfield, VA): Did you grow up playing any other sports and if so do you think this helped your development as a soccer player?

Bobby Boswell: (2:15 PM ET ) I played baseball and also did some martial arts, and I think playing other sports helped me get better with my feet and kept me in a competitive environement. But I played for fun most of all.

Josh (Rockville, Md): Bobby, Obviously you guys are expected to win the MLS Cup this year so how are you guys coping with the expectations of so many fans who expect you to keep up your success?

Bobby Boswell: (2:17 PM ET ) They have those expectations becuase of the past success and we have those same expectations. We want to win every game we play no matter what because we're competitors. We compete amongst ourselves and that helps us stay sharp. We're focused on winning these tournaments after going 0-4 in tourneys last year.

Kevin (Memphis): What do you remember about your first MLS Goal?

Bobby Boswell: (2:19 PM ET ) I remember we were down to Chicago and had given up three goals. I picked up a loose ball that had been knocked around -- I probably should have gotten back -- and it came to me on a cross and I just kind of let it fly. Then I remember running around like an idiot.

Jordan (Sandy): Bobby, Congratulations on all of your teams success this year. I know you guys had a tough loss a few weeks ago to RSL do to what most people think as a mysterious PK call. I have noticed that the refs make alot of those calls. What do you think of the refs and how do you feel about them changing the out come of games? Because it seems like they have done it in a few cases. thanks,

Bobby Boswell: (2:22 PM ET ) It's always a touchy subject, in any sport. The players are getting so good it's becoming harder for officials to keep up and one thing I will say is that both teams face the same challenge and that in the end the better team will find a way to overcome that. I mean, if we had finished some of our chances in the RSL game the PK calls couldn't have mattered.

Ben (Boston): Hey Bobby, after the World Cup did you see a larger fan turnout at games. Do you think this WC helped, or hindered MLS soccer, when it comes down to the interest that people have for the game.

Bobby Boswell: (2:24 PM ET ) You'd like to think that. But I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the numbers in the crowd becuase it's more about the intensity of the fans. It seems to me that people in the US who like soccer and appreciate it come out no mater what, World Cup or not. But I can't tell you how much new interest came about because of it.

Harvey (Virginia): Booby, of all the forwards you've faced this year (MLS and international), who has been the toughest and why?

Bobby Boswell: (2:26 PM ET ) Hands down, Ruud Van Nistelroy. I call him a 'cheating forward' because he plays a game that doesn't allow a lot of physical contact. He knows now to make runs that hurt the defensive line you play, and he knows how to play almost from behind the defense and make you look over your sholder, lurking to get into dangerous positions.

Andy : Laura, OH: Bobby, At what age did you start to take soccer seriously? Did you make a good club team, travel, or do it on your own in the backyard.

Bobby Boswell: (2:28 PM ET ) My club coach was a pro player and he had a talk with me and said he felt I had a future in the game, and that was what I needed to hear. I stuck with it and made a lot of sacrifices in high school and things like that, but it's all been worth it to get here and get to my ultimate goals.

Bobby Boswell: (2:30 PM ET ) Thanks to everyone who wrote in and whether you support United or another MLS team, keep on cheering!

8. HoosiersUnited

HoosiersUnited New Member

May 6, 2003
    Thanks for posting the whole transcript. Good stuff.

9. silentbob

silentbob Member

Aug 17, 2003
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    First question was mine, posted on Tuesday thanks to the heads-up in this thread. :)

Appreciate the transcript. Repped.

10. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    In Chicago last year that boy got up from his table in restaurant and walked all the way across to shake my hand and thank us for comin.

All class.