2006-07 Games on US TV.. What goes where?

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by SirFozzie, Jul 6, 2006.

1. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA

So.. Moving's not an option cuz of the Old Lady, eh? Well that problem can be solved fairly easily.. :)D)

2. metros1018

metros1018 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    I thought it was too early for league play but hey its live soccer and Im happy with whatever I get at this time of the year.

3. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005

Are you saying that GOLTV does not have the rights to the Bundesliga and are saying so based on the showing of the German League Cup?

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Setanta Broadband

Sure, it won't be the best picture quality, but that would be your best alternative.

5. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Don't forget those fine Serie A games on FSC. Why watch AC Milan v. Inter on GOLTV, when you could be watching Lecce v. Treviso on FSC?

6. metros1018

metros1018 New Member

Jun 17, 2003
    Lecce vs treviso are in Seire B this year, Maybe Fsc will show Lazio vs Ascoli < yawwwwwwwwwwn>

7. GutBomb

GutBomb Red Card

Aug 28, 2003
    Outside Boston
    if the games are available. if i'm not mistaken, champions league games are not available on setanta broadband. will premiership games (assuming setanta actually does carry premiership games this season)

8. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone else said that won't be true about Champions League in the coming year. It's there somewhere in this long thread.

Even if it's true, what else can he do? I mean, he has got problem with trees and cannot move. So I'm suggesting him the best possible alternative. Granted it may have its drawbacks, but beggars can't be choosers.

9. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    So GOLtv has rights to only German Cup games, but not the Bundesliga?

10. kevruth

kevruth Member

May 30, 2001
    Perrysburg, Ohio, US
    I read an article a couple of months ago that ESPN's CL rights includes all North American broadband rights as well. Setanta's sublease will include the broadband rights. Both Setanta and ESPN 360 will be simulcasting their CL feeds live on their broadband services. Again, this was from a media article I read before the WC which had to do with broadband broadcasts of the WC.

11. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    No.Check out this quote:

12. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's official. GolTV has whooped FSC's ass. GolTV now has 4 of the top 5 leagues in the world(Spain, Italy, Germany, and Brazil),imo, on their schedule. While FSC has EPL, Argentina, ??? They should have stayed "Fox Sports World" because at least then they could just add some Rugby and other international sports to fill the time. But now we are going to get deluged with crappy kids soccer shows, USL, and College soccer. Good job "America's Soccer Channel" ;)

13. Douai

Douai New Member

Jun 16, 2006
    États-Unis
    I think you underestimate the support of the EPL.That alone can bring football viewers to FSC.

14. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True but for how long and how much of the week? I find myself watching less FSC each season. Last season I just watched about half the Prem games (hard to watch sunderland when Goltv is showing Milan or Barca), the single French game, the french and german highlights shows (not sure if they'll have either of these still), FSWR, and some nightly sky sports news. Everything else was useless filler. They might as well share the channel since they barely use it on weekdays for anything worth watching.

Goltv is clearly "America's Soccer Channel." FSC just pretends to have that title with its silly programs, single league coverage, and little awareness of the football world outside of the Prem. Shame to see the channel go from a great diverse channel with a variety of leagues and even other sports like rugby to such a limited menu on offer.

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the "kid's soccer shows", USL, and College soccer are American soccer. It may not be what you want, but it meets the definition.

It would be nice for GolTV to have Real Madrid and Barcelona every week, but I guess that e-mail means they'll still share with some HD channel no one actually gets.

Germany is a nice addition though.

16. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think no one actually gets that channel? It's World Sport HD and it is pretty easy to get. GolTV doesn't actually share the feed (video or audio) with World Sport HD though. In fact, GolTV has the SD video feed which is pretty much seen everywhere else in the world. World Sport HD has its own HD camera crew and somewhat amateurish commentary crew on the exact opposite side of the stadium.

I remember watching one Real Madrid match LIVE on both GolTV and World Sport HD simultaneously. On GolTV it looked like Real Madrid were going for the goal on the right side of the screen, while on World Sport HD it looked like they were going for the goal on the left. The GolTV audio was Paul Breen Turner's commentary, while World Sport HD had an incredible quality picture. Best of both worlds! :cool:

17. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    Add MLS to FSC.. Nice to see FSC get back in the game.. just announced (see the other thread for this)

18. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What percentage of the population do you think gets it? 1% maybe? That's pretty close to "no one".

19. kstuart

kstuart Member

Jul 13, 1999
    Northern California
    I think that some of you must only watch soccer !

I only watch EPL, Champions League, UEFA Cup and "International" matches. I do watch Sky Sports News every day, it adds colour and depth to my EPL viewing (although I confess that I fast forward through the cricket).

If there were 72 hours in the day, I might watch some Serie A or La Liga, but I see the best teams in the European Cups anyway.

FSC shows 5 of the 10 EPL matches per week. Two will be on Setanta, and 3 will not be shown in the USA. As such, I can just watch FSC and see as much EPL as I have time for - frankly not even 5 matches a week, as there is other viewing like Deadwood and the silly yet amusing "Lost" for example.

Anyway, I could imagine many weeks of the season going by before I end up saying " we could have seen that match if only we had Setanta ". I won't miss not having seen such thrillers as "Chelsea 4 Villa 0" and "Liverpool 5 Fulham 1" when they end up on the Setanta Channel. :yawn:

20. DAGSports

DAGSports New Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Yeah, FSC has what it wanted: many of the best EPL games (11:00 Sundays appears to be a go).

Add in some MLS, Argentina, and a bit of Copa Libertadores and international games, and they'll have plenty to air once the season begins.

21. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    glad to see that someone actually emailed GOL TV, as this announcement came on the Colombian telecast, which is how I found out. Obviously there was some confusion with the listings. Its good to hear that someone from GOL TV did give us the real story. I think the Bundesleige will do well on GOL, becasue they can move their logo to the other side so the viewers can see the score, which FSC does not seem to be able to do.

Simont

22. simont

simont Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you 100% when you say they should have stayed as FSW. I used to love Fox Sports when they were FSW. i used to call them "my ESPN" as they were doing what ESPN shopuld be doing, showing sports around the world. Now, as FSC they are slowly turning into a kid's soccer channel, and not a place where you can watch soccer mtaches. So maybe they should call themselves KFSC Kids Fox Soccer Channel.

Simon T

23. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Because of they stayed Fox Sports World, they couldn't drop the Rugby and Aussie Football contracts as well.....

Last year, FSC and GOLTV complemented each other, but FSC is no longer holding up its end. Their share of EPL games will keep them relevant, but it is depressing how they have trashed thier lineup.

Now the only thing they have over GOLTV is better intro graphics and music.

24. Milliano

Milliano New Member

Jul 7, 2006
    Far better audio quality too.

25. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005

...and of course, we all choose what soccer matches to watch based on the opening graphics and sound!:p