Arena Interview on "Los Tecnicos"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Autogolazo, Apr 23, 2006.

1. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    People should be repeatedly, senselessly, and maliciously repping Autogolazo. Rep him with extreme prejudice.

2. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    I can't believe he's thinking about starting Clint Dempsey and leaving either JOB, Mastroeni, or Convey on the bench.

It seems like he's going to replace Mastroeni with JOB if JOB is going to play, instead of playing both at the same time.

I think Dempsey is a good player, but he has never shown that he is good enough to really put a quality team (England, Germany, Poland) under significant pressure, except for his opportunistic two goals (which are worth considering...but still they were garbage goals pretty much).

I think Convey would do more. But whatever, I don't think Dempsey would be a disaster.

BTW, this is awesome stuff here Autogolazo...really revealing stuff from the Bruce.

3. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005

4. DaniCrew

DaniCrew Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Tallmadge, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soooo... if O'Brien is healthy:

**************Keller***************
    **Cherundolo***Gooch***Pope***Lewis**
    *********Mastroeni*****************
    *************O'Brien***************
    ********Reyna*********************
    ***********************Beasley*****
    ********Donovan*******************
    *************McBride***************

If O'Brien can't play:

**************Keller***************
    **Cherundolo***Gooch***Pope***Lewis**
    *********Mastroeni*****************
    *************Reyna****************
    ***Dempsey************************
    ********Donovan*********Beasley*****
    *************McBride***************

5. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Already did.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Autogolazo again.

This is easily my find of the week.

6. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    OK, here's more:

After the very brief mention of DC United days, the guy asks about Arena's coaching the 1996 Olympic team. Arena says they had Reyna, Lalas and Keller, but still lost to Argentina. The guy's English is so bad I swear he was about to credit Bruce with the 1995 Copa America victory over Argentina, but then Bruce was like "no, 3-1, Argentina won. The Olympics" Beat Tunisia, tied Portugal and got through (? I have no idea...)

The guy then asks, for no reason I could see, about Luis Felipe Scolari (Portugal coach) for some reason, and Bruce admits to speaking with him and having a cordial relationship. Speaking to him often at various "coaches meetings" (?). (I'm thinking Felipao, as he's called, might've had just a FEW questions about Mexico for The Bruce....:)

--Next question--AFRICAN TEAMS. Bruce flat out says that Africa has no chance in this World Cup. None. I mean, I'll have to go back to get the exact quote, but this is the clear meaning of what he says. He again reiterates their "inexperience" at the World Cup, and says Nigeria was the best team from Africa and they're not there.

--Coaches...Bruce, who do you think is the best coach in the world, and who were your "mirrors" the guys asks, I think he means mentors or something.

For the first, Bruce says, "Scolari, as you mentioned before. Perreira. Hiddink. AUSTRALIA WILL SURPRISE SOME PEOPLE. Eriksson doesn't get enough credit."

And for you?

Bruce says he looks at American sports. " I look at basketball, football, baseball, hockey, all of the sports we play in the U.S. to try to understand how to build a team."

dwsmith1972 repped this.
  7. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland

I love these lineups. I read a post earlier about how each player on the field will need to cover about 5-10% more field than usual to keep up with Italy and CR. Now I look at these lineups and see how it's possible to do so.

I guess that's why Bruce is the coach and we're the wannabe pundits.

Pope's no Agoos, but he's no Gibbs either at this stage of his career. Also - lots of pressure on BMcB - he's gonna have to log some serious minutes in the thick of it. However, if I were gonna heap pressure on any Nats player it'd be him, and with LD and Beas close behind him he may not have to spend as much energy tracking back to win balls.

8. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    What show or channel or whatever is this on?

9. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    You better not be making this $hit up, autogolazo! :D

-----------------------McBride------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------
    ------Beasley----------Donovan----------Deuce-------
    ------------------------------------------------------
    --------------Mastroeni---------Reyna-----------------
    ---Lewis----------Pope---------Gooch----------Dolo---
    -------------------------Keller------------------------

I likey.

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There were plenty of 4-5-1s and 4-4-1-1s
    bandied about it by postyers.

11. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Fox Sports World en Espanol.

They were showing an English version of it (though this interview is, obviously, just subtitled in Spanish) on FSC called "The Bosses", but they pulled the plug on that.

OK, more, and I took the time to get direct quotes from Bruce, some of which may surprise a little:

On coaches, "You must give Houllier credit with how he has come back from the Liverpool experience and done well with Lyon."

"Benitez has done an excellent job at Liverpool."

"Mourinho is a man that wins."

"I would like to look at opportunities in Europe. Obviously, the more obvious place for me to look is England, cause of the language."

Q: Is the Premier League the greatest in the world?

A: "NO"

And I quote, "Spain One, Italy Two, Premier League Three, France or Germany Four."

That's a direct quote from Bruce.

I guess he doesn't want that job in England too badly ;)

"Italy is very serious, Spain more open."

Bundesliga "getting better". Bayern good, Werder Bremen played well vs. Milan in Champs League (OK, the man watches some 'ball).

--Bruce, do you watch the South American leagues?

"A little bit. Hard to follow (the league in) Brazil."

And then my favorite statement from Bruce on this subject.

"I FOLLOW ALL LEAGUES."

And you know what, I bet he does!

I also forgot to mention that the guy, in Spanish, says to his audience that he thinks he's getting more from Bruce than just the "4-4-2" reiteration that most coaches give. They say this often on Los Tecnicos to talk up the show, but it's often true.

12. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    No one never said he wasn't going to try it, but if it happens, we will see what happens and if it successful (which we all hope for in the long run). All I'm saying is that Brian McBride has never played well as a lone forward and the USA has never used a Dutch like 4-3-3 with two "wingers" (plus, again, when is the last time we played a well in a 4-5-1 formation). Why go away from your strengths? It's understand if Johnson doesn't play well in the run up matches to use this, but if he does, then.....

And once again, what channel or site or anything is this show located on?

13. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    I see now, great, thank you.

14. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    If you pass by this somewhere Googling photos, Bruce is wearing a tan blazer with a black t-shirt underneath, sitting on the deck of a swimming pool with a fake rock formation and a few palm small trees in the background.

15. el fenómeno

el fenómeno New Member

Mar 23, 2005
    5th Ward. Texas
    I think set pieces is the only way the US is scoring in this World Cup.

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The scoring will come from set pieces and the midfield. No problem
    with that. I see McBride as more of a set up man in the formation.

17. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    More quotes:

Bruce, "I think this will be the best World Cup ever. When World Cups are held in Europe, it becomes much more competitive, because the European countries play much better in Europe and make it much more challenging for the countries like Brazil and Argentina. So I think it'll be very exciting."

--The U.S. will be the surprise?

--"We hope to be the surprise. We think the challenge is difficult for us; however, if healthy, and if we have a good training camp, we have a chance to win."

--And your dreams about the World Cup?

--"My first dream is to get out of our group. Enter the knockout round. If we do that, this a fantastic achievement for us, because, as everyone knows, our group is very strong."

18. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again. Fox Sports World en Español. The show is called "Los Técnicos."

Bruce showed a side of himself that one rarely sees when he is dealing with the media. He appeared to almost feel sorry for the interviewer (as autogolazo has pointed out, the interviewer's english was clearly lacking), as opposed to the cat-and-mouse, almost "snarky" approach we usually see.

Good stuff.

19. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a tweed jacket with black t-shirt. If he were wearing glasses, he'd pass for a member of academia. :)

20. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Bruce's favorites: Brazil--until someone beats them.

Euro favorites, in order:

Italy
    Holland
    France
    England
    Portugal

If Bruce was manager of a top club, top picks:

Int'l, Ronaldinho and Shevchenko

Domestic, Donovan, Beasley and Onyewu (I think we clearly see that Beasley is not going to the bench in favor of Convey, as some have suggested)

Reason for the U.S. improvement?

--Domestic league

On foreign leagues, again, "I think the best league in the world is La Liga."

You can cut that and print it.

Also says again he knows Hiddink. Australia can be a surprise.

Bruce says he also thinks Argentina is "dangerous"

The guy asks about Paraguay and Ecuador and Bruce tries to be nice, saying he thinks they're capable of winning World Cup games.

He says he thinks Guima has improved the D at Costa Rica.

He thinks T&T are "athletic". The guy says Beenhakker is a great coach and Bruce rebuts that "At the end of the day, it's all about the players."

When asked if we are in Mexico's shadow, or vice versa, Bruce says we've beaten Mexico too many times recently to be in their shadow. When asked if he speaks with LaVolpe, he says, "I never speak with LaVolpe. (and joking) I don't think I'm allowed to speak to the coach of Mexico. I don't think anyone allows that."

Finally, when asked again about the 3 teams in his group, and about where he see the U.S. finishing, he says "one or two."

He ends with "Muchas gracias."

21. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    I actually agree with his league ranking... Toni has some speed for a 6'5" guy and he will drop into midfield to get high balls out ... and vs. Germany, Robert Huth couldn't catch him from behind (but then again, Huth's 6'4" himself) ... insofar as coaches go, it was a nice non-bone to his buddy Jürgen, hehe.. and a quite obvious need not to mention either Brückner or Lippi ... 4-5-1 has been predicted by many, myself included (and no, I don't want Pope out there either) ... he'll try to pick a point out of the first two games, so he'll play it close to the vest and hope to get a goal off a set-piece or a long through-ball to Beez or Donovan ... 3-5-2 is a no-starter because he wants to play 'Dolo and Lewis, as they're two of his most experienced players ... Brazilian football ... haha 60 fouls a game ain't pretty... he's right (duh) about the Italian formation but is probably wrong about Totti now being ready ... Big Phil may get the English job, btw ... maybe he'll hire Bruce as his assistant ... talk about having a profile increase for a job in the EPL ...

22. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Matt Jones of the Jacksonville Jaguars is 6'6 and ran a sub 4.40 40 yard dash. Just for comparison, that's within a step or two of the fastest men on the planet for forty yards. So just because this guy's 6'5 doesn't mean he can't fly.

23. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he is clearly ahead of convey because he is stronger and more talented.

what exactly has convey proven with the national team?

24. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    time to get down on our knees and pray as it looks like eddie pope is penciled in.

25. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The Deuce brings about 5 more inches to the position and is a natural
    right sided player.

Also the cat has a nose for goal and has scored against some
    big teams.