Arena Interview on "Los Tecnicos"

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Autogolazo, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I DVR'd it last night and haven't watched it yet, but it's a whole hour, so maybe he said something interesting. Anybody else see it?

This is the same show, based in Argentina, where every World Cup coach is sooner or later going to be interviewed for the full hour. Other coaches have said some pretty revealing things.

This one was done that day Bruce went down to Bolivia.

2. Golazo

Golazo Member+

Apr 15, 1999
    Decatur, GA USA

WTF was Bruce doing in Bolivia?

3. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Etcheverry's Testimonial game...

4. wcharriscpa

wcharriscpa Member

Arsenal FC
    Dec 26, 2000
    Austin
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught it about halfway through. I thought it was a really good interview.

My DVR is now set to record this show.

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    key question: is Bruce as much of a smart-ass there as he is here?

6. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I don't get this show, so anyone who wants to provide a detailed account of it would have my undying gratitude...which for that and a couple bucks you can get a cup of coffee...

7. bwach

bwach Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Cleveland

He and Sundance needed to get away for a while.:)

ttrevett repped this.
  8. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep for the Butch Cassidy reference. Absolutely one of the best movies ever.

9. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Did Arena rip on Guimaraes and Costa Rica? ;)

10. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Just as a hint, I've watched the first 5 minutes and here's what Bruce says to the Argentine (whose English is TERRIBLE).

These are all direct statements by Bruce, if not exact quotations:

----The Czech Republic is more unpredictable and dangerous than Italy in attack. "We already know everything about Italy."

----Sorry, Gibbs fans (me), Bruce is going to stick with Pope, if healthy.

He says his back four is Cherundolo, Gooch, Pope, Lewis

He says McBride in attack, with Donovan and Beasley behind him. (giving credence to some sort of 4-5-1), and Reyna and Mastro in the midfield, possibly JOB.

I'll post more after I watch the whole thing....

11. Ronaldo's Idol

Jun 13, 2004
    Well that's some interesting info there. I wonder if we can truly believe it...but if so that means we might be looking at something like:

----------------Keller
    Dolo----Gooch-----Pope-----Lewis
    ----------Mastroeni
    -----Reyna---------JOB
    ----Donovan--------Beasley
    ---------McBride

meaning that our boy Convey is the odd man out, as are Dempsey, EJ, and Wolff.

And I have to say, this is a decent lineup really. I don't think anyone has posted this yet. It is quite defensive, with only 3 attacking players really (4 if you include JOB).

It would help us clog to middle defensively, and possibly keep the ball a bit. Out flanks would be patrolled by Dolo and Lewis, and they'd probably be the primary sources for crossing the ball.

If this is what Bruce is thinking, I like it. It is a bit conservative, but it is hard to argue that any of those players won't be effective in these positions.

12. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Wow, this is a frickin' goldmine, but that's why I watch this show (Los Tecnicos) religiously. You get this kind of detail from every World Cup coach. I've never seen Arena open up like this, tactically speaking.

He's drawing all of this on a piece of paper that the camera focuses on.

He and the Argentine interviewer are sitting poolside in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.

I'm now at about 10 minutes and I had to post again, so much stuff:

1. Ghana is "not the most disciplined" team and has a "lack of WC experience" but are "very fast".

--Bruce makes the point that he only prepares heavily for games 1 and 2, that Ghana will show everything it has to show in their first two matches which he can see and besides, he'll have separate tactics for the Ghana match based on group positioning.

2. On Italy, a classic quote following his first statement about Italy compared to the Czechs--"Italy is easy to know, not easy to play against."

--He does NOT think Totti will be ready, at least not to start. He pencils in Del Piero as the attacking mid based on the left side (much like Nedved), but says Del Piero's position makes Italy either a 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2.

--The Argentine asks him about Camoranesi, "one of ours", the guy says, meaning he was born in Argentina. Bruce says he knows all about him, that he played in Mexico with Cruz Azul. The guy says, "He's fast". Bruce demurs...."He's QUICK" The Argentine's English doesn't allow him to understand the difference, but we do.

--Then Bruce says, to clarify, IN SPANISH, "Delanteros" and he points out Toni and Gilardino. He says Toni might be the fastest guy on the team. I found this hard to believe, at 6-5, but whatever....

--Bruce says the two central backs are a strength for Italy.

--Bruce says the outside backs for Italy (Grosso and Zambrotta) are NOT a strength, and seems to emphasize this.

At the end of the section on Italy, the Argentine interviewer asks:

"Do you study?"

Bruce smiles and says, "Yes."

13. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Keep it coming man. Thanks.

14. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The guy asks about the Germany loss.

Bruce responds that we had a good 45, that we made a horrible mistake on the second half kickoff, that it was mostly our second team.

Then he says that playing the Poland friendly and the German friendly were about getting acclimatized to Germany itself and the stadia: "we felt it was good to be in Germany to understand the stadiums, to understand the lay of the land."

As opposed to his saying playing Germany was a mistake, in this interview he says all of both trips was "a positive experience."

The guy wonders why we're going to play Jamaica. Bruce responds "just as a friendly" to see some local players for the final 23 man roster.

The U.S. arrives in Germany June 2nd (did we know this?), plays Angola June 5th behind closed doors.

"Why?" the guy asks, "Because they're like Ghana?"

Bruce says definitively NOT, but that they're just a team to get some practice against, they could be Asian, etc., it wouldn't matter.

15. Haole

Haole Member

Feb 14, 2005
    costa mesa, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Where's this coming from? I can't find this on GolTV.

Thanks.

16. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great stuff. I don't remember ever hearing Arena be so open about tactics and his opinions on opponents.

17. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    That's "Los Tecnicos" for you. The Paraguayan coach was so open I kept hoping he'd shut up and no one in England or Sweden was recording it.

OK, to continue...

The guy keeps asking about Howard, and Bruce keeps reassuring him that Keller is the starter. More experience, he's currently playing, Tim hasn't played recently for ManU. I don't know where they get their talking points...

OK, so then the guy asks about Donovan--"Will he be the star?"

Bruce says "We hope so." Then corrects himself, "We hope he'll be one of eleven stars." Calls Donovan "Flexible" (position-wise), good speed, great passer of the ball.

McBride?

"VERY, VERY important" Can hold the ball, score goals, key to the attack.

Is Leh-vis the key to your formation?

Bruce is stupefied.

LEH-VIS? He play on de lef.

Still stupefied.

De lef. De lef.

"Oh, Eddie Lewis. The left back. Yes, we like him to get into the attack. We also have Beasley on the left. He plays for PSV."

(I'm assuming the guy went back and looked at 2nd goal vs. Mex in 2002 again)

Po?

Pope. And I quote, "IF INJURY FREE, HE SHOULD PLAY." I'll leave my own personal worries about this for another thread.

Claudio Reyna?

"Our captain." Good two-way player, passer, etc.

More to come...

18. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I agree this is great stuff Autogolazo. Keep it coming if there are any more tidbits.

Makes me think that indeed we'll only see three forwards going to Germany. It will also be very hard to break us down. Also even though they wouldn't be starting, both Convey and Dempsey could plug into this failry seemlessly. Olsen or Zavagnin could fit in too without too much responsibility for them if it came to using them.

But it does put a lot of responsibility on JOB annd Reyna to provide thru balls for LD and DMB to run onto. Lewis and Cher might be providing crosses but there sure isn't a lot of height on offense past McBride. In fact outside of corners or set pieces we won't be scoring by sending in high balls except on a fast counter.

Now I wonder... what if McBride gets hurt? I'm thinking from reading this post that Arena is not thjinking of either TT or Ching as a suitable sub. Which means that we'd be doing something different tactically even if EJ plays the forward spot.

19. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia

Teletubby can man mark ANYONE clear out of the game even with her small size. She's a beast.

20. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Holy sh*t, he's bringing out the paper for the U.S., now.

And this is it, no sh*tting.

"Keller."

Defense?

Direct quote, "Always play with four backs." Said as if speaking to a child, which linguistically (in English) his interviewer is..

"Cherundolo......Pope (MLS)....Gooch......Lewis (Leeds)"

MIdfield?

"Definitely Reyna"

Uh..

"Up here (draws up top) definitely McBride"

"Definitely Donovan" (to start)

OK, OK--sh*t.

He DRAWS (I'm not saying this is what he'll play) a CLEAR 4-5-1.

Reyna is paired up with another d-mid with a "?" and Bruce says, "Maybe Mastroeni, maybe John O'Brien"

"Beasley, for PSV, can play either left or centrally" (he draws him on the left)

Donovan is drawn in a withdrawn position to McBride.

Then Bruce puts another question mark out on the right-hand side and says, "Maybe Clint Dempsey", but he doesn't suggest another name!

The guy had also specifically asked about Dempsey, but Bruce's response wasn't really direct, more in the form of the diagram.

Then he pointed at Landon and said, "Maybe Donovan up here, with McBride."

This last means that the first and only drawn diagram, as I clearly read it, had Landon playing an A-mid role and McBride up top by himself. Donovan as 2nd striker was offered as the "maybe" alternative.

cpwilson80 repped this.
  21. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks man. A lot of things to think over here. I like the lineup, which seems like it could easily shift based on subs. Though it will be key for either Donovan or Beasley to not get sucked too far in when on defense. That would isolate McBride far too much. What this does do is allow for DMB and Donovan to run at defenders, where they are far more dangerous.

22. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    awsome news bro...just as i predicted. We'll play a 4-5-1 with it occassionaly morphing into a 4-4-2 at certian parts of the game. It all depends of Reyna-Mastro do their job in the middle so Donovan doesnt have to drop too much far back there

23. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    That line-up Bruce put out is pretty much what I have been thinking about, except I'd have Beasley on the right and Convey on the left.

Great stuff man, thanks.

24. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    He asked Bruce about Adu, if he'd be at the World Cup, Bruce said he was still too young, but making progress. He said to ask Jaime Moreno about Freddy!

What about the ages of your players?

Then, without hesitation, Bruce pointed at the sheet of paper he'd drawn on and went straight down the list of the exact age of EVERY single player. I don't know if he was prepped for this question, but probably not. It sounded like he knew this verbatim (as if it were his own theory on balance):

Onyewu, 23,
    Donovan, 23
    Beasley, 23
    Reyna, 33
    Pope, 33
    McBride, 33
    Keller, 36
    etc.
    A mixture of young and old.

The guy then asked about the importance of the first match, and Bruce responded with what we know he's said before--we have to get one point out of the first two matches to have a chance.

He was then asked about his glory days at DC United (apropos of the forthcoming Marco Etcheverry testimonial) and he said there were great foreign players like Etcheverry and Moreno, but also great American players like Harkes, Agoos, Pope, Sanneh, and Richie Williams (!)

25. Swami

Swami Member

Mar 5, 2005
    That lineup does play to our strength, midfield, and away from our weakness, forward. It provides us with solid defensive shape and puts just about all of our players in locations and with roles with which they can excel...except perhaps one.

Can McBride play up top by himself? We have to make sure that Beas or LD is up there with him to give him some space and to give him someone to work with. BMB has shown better with club and country that he plays better when he has someone to work with up top. The other problem is how long can he go for in the first two games. He's going to take some serious punishment up top if he's playing by himself.

Furthermore, Arena is a pretty cagey guy. Why would he give away this kind of information publicly? I think his views of the opposition are pretty likely to mirror his real views, but why would he reveal our tactics?