Breaking news: Beasley may face jailtime!

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johan derksen, Oct 22, 2005.

1. KenC

KenC Member+

Jun 11, 2003
    What's the customs limit? You'd think having one iPod, one mobile phone, would be fine. Multiple digital cameras and watches isn't too unusual either. I mean, I've got half a dozen digital cameras and usually travel with two, a DSLR and a Canon P&S. A couple watches isn't odd, I mean, a sports watch, and a formal watch.

I get it, he had an "iPod"! This is Eindhoven, home of Philips. No iPods! Also, when Dutch customs checked DMB's clothing, they found a stash of XXL shirts. One look at DMB, who by Dutch standards should wear XS shirts, and they KNEW he was bringing in undeclared merchandise for sale. I mean, no one, absolutely no one DMB's size wears such large shirts!

2. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    You realize he was making a joke right?

4. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Nikolai Starostin, a legendary Soviet player of the 1930s and 40s, was sent to the GULag by the NKVD head Lavrentiy Beria simply because Starostin excelled for Spartak while the NKVD was the official "sponsor" of Spartak's main competitor, Dynamo Moscow.

Vassily Stalin, the dictator's son, was however a fan of Spartak and managed to free Starostin when Beria went on vacation. To keep the player safe, Vassily's personal limo driver would pick the Spartak star up after games and take him to Kremlin where the entire Stalin family resided.

In other words, I don't have a great customs story to tell.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i actually just read that story myself

6. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes

and i am sure DMB will be ok, and i just watched Milan-PSV replay and he did well

7. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    DMB has to appear in front of a police judge.... again.

This time for driving under influence of alcohol. His BAC (blood alcohol content) was 1,3 %. In Holland the limits are 0.02 % for drivers with less than 5 years' experience and 0.05 % for those with more than 5 years' experience. Beasley was stopped in Valkenswaard on January 17.
    He has to appear for the judge on April 21.

[​IMG]

Last year he also had to appear in front of a police judge to answer charges of customs violations, the case was settled afterwards.

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    oh for ********s sake Beas.

He would have gotten arrested in America to.

9. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His blood managed to be 130% alcohol? Way to go Beas!

10. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA

.13% ;)

which is a good level of drunkeness

11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I disagree, some of those people can be absolute pricks. My wife has had one say that if I left her he would give her his phone number and the other ( a women) threaten to some sort of severe punishment for not filling out the flight number.

12. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Sir, your test results are in. You have 0.1% blood in your alcohol stream." ;)

It's got to be 0.13%. 1.3% is well above a lethal dose.

13. Juan Luis Guerra

Juan Luis Guerra Red Card

Jun 11, 2001
    New York City
    and you are believing this??????????????. Please, provide us with a link or a credible source.

14. CaliManU

CaliManU New Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Los Angeles
    .35 is enough to kill someone... I had a friend who blew a .36 with his personal breathalyzer and only had a wicked headache in the morning.

15. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in Arizona, a woman was arrested recently who blew a 0.37% on the machine.

That is druuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk. You're supposed to lapse into a coma around .35 to .40.

All things considered you have to really try hard to get yourself past a 0.3%

16. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    story from PSU when I was an undergrad there around 2001.

A girl, about 110, goes out on her 21st birthday. She takes 21 shots to celebrate. Eventually she gets kicked out of abar for puking and then sits down at the edge of a curb. Her friends are there next to her about to pick her up when a cop rolls up and noticed the girl passed out on the sidewalk sitting up. Despite the other kids arguement that she just needs to goto sleep, the cop takes her to the hospital where they give her a blood test. BAC? .772

She survived and wasn't turned into a vegetable. Not the faintest idea how she got away like this though. Btw - because of this, bars in SC aren't supposed to serve you shots on the night of your 21st bday.

17. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed... And, yes, a link needs to be posted soon.

18. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
  19. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    good lord, this news is a week old!

20. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I thought he killed someone for a second big deal. Maybe you can get life in the netherlands for something like that unless your dutch then nothing happens to you there or in Aruba.

21. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will be interesting to know what, if anything, Bruce Arena thinks, says or does about Beas' DUI, considering what he said about Dempsey and holding national team players to a higher standard.

22. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    like I said above, this has been out for a week. But since it hasn't been reported in America I doubt Arena has felt a desire to say anything about it and kept it in-house. If he did anything at all.

The Dempsey situation is different because it's a soccer situation. This is a private issue for DMB. Non soccer related.

23. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can a mod break this up? People are reading and quoting posts from last October about the customs problem when the "new" story is about a DUI.

24. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one of my buddies blew a .29 in the hospital an hour after the police picked him up unconcious in a macdonalds drive thru with his foot on the break and the car running. this was after they pumped fluids into him with an iv. thats drunk, my friends.

25. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    he's probably blown his chance of driving the team bus.