UEFA Badge of Honour

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by slb13, Mar 30, 2006.

1. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    As you all might know, a few teams have received Uefa's Badge of Honour. The badges distribution is very limited to teams that have won the ECC/CL cup 3 times in a row or 5 or more cups total. I think this is a great idea, but it shouldn't be this limited. I believe every team that has won should be able to get this badge. I'm not saying that the accomplishments of AC Milan, Ajax, Liverpool, Bayern and Real Madrid should go unrecognized but I think all the past and current winners should get this badge.

Isn't it just as special to win the cup? It's not an easy thing to do. It would be great to have the badge and say "Our team won x amount of cups, we were the best of the best or still are." I just think that Uefa should include all those who have won so that they can say they won one of the ,if not the most prestigious competition in Europe. If that doesn't bring more publicity than I don't know what does.

So my questions is:
    Do you think the Uefa Badge of Honour should be given to all the winners of the ECC/CL? Yes or No.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The clubs that have this Badge of Honour are sides that, as you've stated, won the trophy 3x consecutive, or at least 5 in total... ie, they have gained permanent possession of the trophy.
    The badge is a well earned honor for a club to sport on it's shirt, and I think giving it to others that haven't gained permanent possesion of the cup would devalue it.

For what it's worth, I think Barcelona should have some sort of Badge for having won the Cup Winners Cup 4 times. No other club won it thrice. :D

3. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    I could understand your position in it being devalued but I still don't agree to a certain extent. Only a few teams have won this tournament out of the hundreds that exist. I understand that those teams have the possession of the cups but what about teams that have won it and have been to as many finals as well. I propose that the clubs that already have this have some sort of outstanding badge while the others get a badge. Although they are similar, the badges that go to the existing teams now get a higher badge. If you get what I'm saying...

4. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    I'd prefer to keep it selective. A club HAS to win the trophy EVERY year. But it takes something really special to win it three in a row or five times total. It's quite possible for no club to accomplish such a thing (disregarding past), while it's impossible that no club will win the CL in the future.

5. metabelian

metabelian New Member

May 14, 2005
    san diego
    Technically, at least one team must win five or more times after 4 * number of teams + 1 years by the pigeon-hole-principle, but point taken. It seems reasonable to me to have two seperate badges; let the super clubs have one badge and a seperate one for any team that has won once, which is still quite an accomplishment in and off itself.

BTW: Badges, we don't need no stinking badges!!

6. spoonman

spoonman Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have never heard of this badge but don't change it.

Is there also a badge for clubs who won all three European Cups?

7. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    See if we can have separate badges it would be nice. I'm not saying it is crucial we have the badges but it would be nice to look at a jersey and see the accomplsihments of that team. It is not everyday you can go down to the stadium and see the scaled down cups... Granted I think the different badge idea could work. One special kind for those who have accomplished the 3 consecutive or 5 or more cup wins. And the other kind for those who have won.

8. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    This is the badge we're speaking of, that's worn by clubs who've won 3 consecutive or 5 in total...
    (this one is either Bayern's or Ajax's)

[​IMG]

As a Benfica fan, you really want your team to have a badge, don't you? :p

I still feel that only clubs that have gained possesion of the cup should wear a special badge.
    One idea I like is one that AC Milan came up with when they won the trophy back in 1989 and 1990. The following season their shirts sported a patch of the European Cup...
    (large pic so I've included a link instead)

http://www.freewebs.com/soccertest/balsamo_foto costi.jpg

I actually like that idea of Milan's, where the defending cup holders wear such a patch. :cool:

But every single past winner, no.

9. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    You have a fair point. But lets say that Ajax didn't win 3 times in a row. Would it be fair considering both have 4 cups? And the permanent possession of the cup is in my opinion somewhat incoherent. Cups just keep being made so doesn't that devalue the cup? If anything Real Madrid should be the only won because they have the most cups. And of course I'm saying this because I'm a Benfica fan but what about other teams like Porto, Barca, Inter, Man U etc.?

10. King-James

King-James New Member

May 27, 2005
    Actually yeah, it does seem to merit that. Though see it from UEFA's perspective... wouldn't it seem a little excessive? A club may be like "holy **** we won the European Cup!!!" but UEFA may be like "they won the European Cup... who the **** cares" :D

11. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like the idea for defending champion, but not for every former champion. Or else every top teams, except Arsenal, will have one so what is the point.

BTW, I did not know that the Badge of Honour is a UEFA thing. I walwys thouight it was an adidas thingy. All the teams owned it wore adidas. It is good that I find out now.

12. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You bring up an interesting point, because up until last season I was wondering why Bayern and Ajax had that badge with the number "4" on it, yet Liverpool didn't. I thought, "the Reds have four wins too!"
    It was only after I saw Liverpool wearing it this season that I equated the badge to gaining possession of the trophy. :eek:

Well, the teams that won the cup 3 consecutive or 5 in total are in possession of the "main" trophy, which is quite a big pot.
    Once the defending team is knocked out the following season, they must return the "main" trophy and, in it's place, they are given a slightly scaled down version of it. Not sure of the exact size, but I think it's around 2/3 or 3/4 the size of the "main" trophy. So I don't think it devalues it at all.

I feel Real Madrid's badge should include a graphic of the original 'old style' trophy they retired after their 1966 win instead of the current 'big ears' cup.

[​IMG]

Here's the Champions League logo that all participants wear when playing in the tournament:
    [​IMG]
    The only concession I would be willing to make regarding all past winners is that they wear this logo patch with the years they won the tournament listed either on top of or underneath the logo.
    The badge with the trophy itself (Badge of Honour) goes only to those who won it permanently.

13. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I don't see what's wrong with the stars...

14. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I thought about that, but with teams like Juventus and Milan having stars for domestic success, I thought it could get confusing.
    Perhaps place the stars next to the Champions League arm patch in place of years as I suggested? :confused:

15. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    What a great idea. I agree with the CL ball with the years on top or underneath it. HowEver as you stated would that apply today? Most of the past winners won the ECC not the newly formatted CL. Though it would be nice for the other past winners if they couldn't get the badge.

I know about the scaled down trophies but how many times can I go see them. I live in Canada so I can't exactly go to the Luz anytime I want. So something like the CL can help us all remember the accomplishments.

16. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The Badge of Honour takes into account success during the ECC, so I don't see why Benfica's or Inter's triumphs not be recognized.

[​IMG]
    1961 1962

:D

Now if we can just convince UEFA... :eek:

17. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    Yes very true. That is an accomplishment in itself. I actually am planning to wite a letter of some sorts which will be extensive in describing what people would like. I would like to use your idea if you don't mind and would give you recognition for the idea. I like the dates/stars idea that would go with the ball.

18. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You can take the credit. Good luck. I honestly don't think it will go anywhere, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to try.

:)

19. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    I don't think the old champions cup should count, the strength in depth was much smaller and there was no group stage.

20. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    I don't expect it to get very far either but I can atleast say I tried. However if by chance it does happen then it would be rewarding. Maybe by doing this I can get some stuff for showing interest. You never know...

21. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    But today you have teams that are loaded with players and ruled by money. Back then it took team building and chemistry to win matches. Now it's just buying quality players with large bankrolls. It is easier to win the CL because you have second chances in the leg format.

22. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    True. But it was tougher to qualify for the tournament then than it is today. ;) I feel that neutralizes it.

23. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    The 1996/97 competition was the first when non-league champions were allowed to compete.

Champions League finalists who didn't win their domestic league the previous season.
    Winners in bold.

1997 - Juventus
    1999 - Manchester United, Bayern Munich
    2000 - Real Madrid, Valencia
    2001 - Valencia
    2002 - Leverkusen
    2003 - AC Milan
    2004 - Monaco
    2005 - Liverpool

24. slb13

slb13 New Member

Mar 26, 2006
    Canada
    Good post. It shows the condition of the CL right now. I tis tougher to qualify but I fell the coefficirnts for some countries aren't fair.