Beasley considers leaving PSV

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by johan derksen, Feb 21, 2006.

1. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    There's going to be an interview with DMB in this weeks "Voetbal International" the largest soccer magazine in the Netherlands. This weeks edition is going on sale tomorrow (wednesday).
    Here's a snippet from the piece: (if you don't mind my funky translation) ;)

Looks like he's finally speaking up. I'm not really surprised actually.

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I haven't followed his situation all that closely. What's the back story there?

3. dcunited4life

dcunited4life New Member

Oct 5, 2001
    Seoul
    I hope Bease will reconsider and stick it out at Eindhoven. His situation reminds of Park Ji-sung's couple years ago. Park struggled when he first arrived at PSV and many fans and the media questioned his ability to play for a top Dutch team. Park himself admitted thinking of returning to his former J-League team. But he stuck it out and look at where he is now.

Beasley's ability is very similar to Park. Tremendous heart and athleticism are his strength. I hope he sticks it out and join players like Romario, Ronaldo, Van Nisterooy, Robben, Kezman, Van Bommel, Park and Lee who all moved on and are excelling in top leagues.

4. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can say that again.

:)

5. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    maybe the coach saw/heard about this article beforehand. no wonder he didn't play today. if he doesn't feel comfortable in the system why should the coach play him? he'll probably be stuck to the bench from now on.

is this the first case of an established ya speaking up? (not counting mathis of course).

6. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Step one: Open mouth.

Step two: Insert foot.

7. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    DeMarcus sounds pretty diplomatic and honest to me. He didn't complain about not playing or that the team is bad. All he said was I'm not the best I can be right now.

No big deal.

Go DeMarcus, go!

8. smock7

smock7 Member

Aug 4, 2004
    New York City

I have seen of lot of Bease articles lately where he talks about how much he loves PSV, but more about how much he would LOVE to move onto a higher-tiered league. I suppose winning the league and repeat appearances in the Champions League aren't enough for him. I know if I were a coach, I would bench the guy so that he could learn to have respect for where he is, and not be so focused on the future. By missing out today's match, I am sure you have other teams who looked at him last year wondering what happened to that skinny American, and assuming his stock has dropped.

9. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    I would love to see Bease move. 4-3-3 isn't for him and I've been saying
    even when postyer were all hot and heavy after his earlier performances.

He needs to go to a team that plays 4-4-2. He'll dominate.

I'm not into this 'hens cackling' aspect of discussing a players off
    the field behavior, but generally you shouldn't be so vocal about
    discussing your next job or wanting to move on no matter what
    field you're in.

10. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    On the other hand, Mapp and Gaven if they can turn the corner would
    be good fits as wing forwards in a 4-3-3.

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He needs to STF and learn what is being taught to him.

If he thinks that he can just walk onto an EPL team (forget La Liga ... they want South Americans with a smooth ball control and a permanent passport) and start, he's dumber than I think he is.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Hey Johan -

is that your translation? Was the tone of the quotes more "I want to leave PSV" or "I think PSV is going to get rid of me?" It reads right now a bit more like the second, but that might be a translation issue.

Thanks

13. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is EXACTLY what I thought. It sounds like he is saying he is getting the feeling that he is not in PSV's future plans and he has no idea why. He goes out of his way to say how cool everyone is.
    :confused:

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    i think you guys are forgetting about dutch society, in which self expression is the norm, if not the expectation - i doubt he said anything that will get him in trouble there

now, if he played in germany... ;)

15. johan derksen

johan derksen BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 14, 2004
    Venlo, Netherlands
    Well, it reads a bit like "It's better for the team if I leave...". It's written really weird, maybe it will become more clear when we get to read the whole article.

I'm a bit worried though about the part where he says "it hasn't anything to do with my trainer or me."
    A few weeks ago a story popped up that DMB and Hiddink apparently don't talk much and DaMarcus wasn't really happy with that situation.

Maybe it's a cry for attention.

16. The Big Ticket

The Big Ticket New Member

Jan 30, 2004
    MN -> UIUC
    Beasley to ADO Den Haag.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Only if they stay up. ;)

18. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    Don't be jejune; he's more than capable of starting for
    the vast majority of EPL teams. Then again, you think
    Josh Wolff is serious baller...

19. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gaven I think belongs in the middle and I'm not sure he really fits PSV and plus he has some work to do to get back to where he was in 2004.

Mapp on the other hand would seem tailor-made to left forward in a 4-3-3, reducing his defensive responsibilities and letting him just get out there and run (with and without the ball).

He too however would need to step things up to be at PSV level. He also needs to get his fitness together.

It would be a nice spot for Adu as well, but I don't think he's quite at Mapp or Gaven's level just yet, so he too would have to bring his game up some notches (which I'm sure he'll do within a few years).

The same thing for all American players applies to Beas, you've got to be somewhere where you have a chance to play. If it's not happening, it's not happening and it may be time to move on. It's up to the player and team to decide whether a player's benchitude is temporary or permanent.

20. pokemoncards

pokemoncards New Member

Aug 17, 2003
  21. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The worst thing that could come out of this is a transfer to a lower tier Dutch team. I'm not really sure which league he'd fit into best. I guess he has the pace to play in the EPL, but all 130 pounds of him would get killed in England due to the physical play. He does somewhat remind me of Spurs' young Aaron Lennon though, so I guess he could play a very wide winger role.

22. Yankee_Blue

Yankee_Blue New Member

Aug 28, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Kinda makes you wonder how Beasley has made it this far without such wonderful advice...

23. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Keller's done it more than once.

24. babeldaob

babeldaob Member

Jan 16, 2003
    SWP seems to do alright in the EPL , and I can't imagine he is any bigger than DMB

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, sfs doesn't seem to understand the sport very well.