Spring Training in Florida - Early Report

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by WJMarx, Feb 8, 2006.

1. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having attended MLS training at IMG Academy in Bradenton including FIRE vs U-17 & Metrostars v RSL I have made a few premature observations which I would like to share. As indicated they are still premature but perhaps sound.

1) In general the new players are technically sound and following their recent Draftees camp fitter than most others in camp. They bring a certain degree of attacking savvy but are somewhat limited in quick ball movement and true support positioning.

2) With rare exception and excluding the GK’s and Center Backs they are pretty much clueless regarding defensive tactics. Few understand how to influence the direction of play, shut down opponents, double attackers, support other defenders and quickly transition from attack to defense or vice versa.

3) The scrimmage session have been 3 x 30 for FIRE and 2 x 45 for MS v RSL. With the numbers of players in camps the 3 x 30 is the better format. It allows a look at all of the players in different combinations.

4) Outstanding

For the FIRE Brian Plotkin rises above all other young players. I suspect he will be the undeniable “steal” of the draft. In addition to an excellent technical competence he has stamina, tactical awareness, great field vision and a maturity to his game that belies his age and lack of high level experience.

In his 60 minutes of match time, he scored 1 goal, organized the attacking play and opened the U-17 defense repeatedly with incisive, pinpoint passes. He played a holding midfield role alongside Logan Pause and behind Will Johnson, in an attacking midfield role. He supported forward and back and L & R. His 2nd 30 minutes saw him paired with Diego Guttierez, while Plotkin remained impressive, the pairing was not as dynamic. Other info to FIRE Board.

Guevarra remained absent. MS featured a truly outstanding older player. It was shared with me that they are auditioning a Polish International. If so, this player seemed to possess a rather elegant touch and awareness of the game. He played mainly as a holding midfielder but did not hesitate to get well forward in attack. If he signs, he will add considerably quality to MS. He seemed to be in Youri Djorkaeff’s class but somewhat younger and more dynamic.

Marvelle Wynne’s effectiveness was totally neutralized as he featured as a R-sided back in a 3-5-2. As such his primary asset, blazing speed, was never utilized. His marking was adequate tackling better. During the 2nd 45 minute stint, with Marvelle out of the match MS played 4-4-2.

Soild matches can be attributed to Chris Henderson patrolling the L flank with speed, stamina and several excellent crosses into the box. He seems to have a very good understanding with Youri. Tim Regan organized the defense.

Whereas no player was truly outstanding for RSL very solid play at R back from Adolfo Gregorio and at L mid from Seth Trembley highlighted the side. I particularly want to emphasize Trembley’s play as I have been down on him and very hard on him since his U-17 year. As a youth he was definitely one of the best 5 on his U-17 bunch but had not matured to MLS life. He always seemed a red card waiting to happen. He did not jell with teammates, substituted hostility for quality on the pitch and was a referees nightmare. This match saw a different player, disciplined & technical with a renewed tactical sense. His runs were intelligent. Finally he was rewarded for his hard work, he scored the RSL goal.

The U-17’s feature a tall, strong & fast striker, Josie ?. He was a handful for the FIRE. This side seemed very uneven. They seemed limited to 8 or 10 good players and 3 or 4 who re subpar.

2. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    The depths that BS has sunken to...

The above post has no Metrostars conspiracy. No Freddy Adu. No single-table/no playoff, nothing on The International Soccer Community and what It Will Think, no Ref Conspiracy, no deference to Bruce Arena, no Beckham to MLS, nothing about that Rossi kid, no bitching about the schedule.

Damn!! How... HOW??? are we to consider this truly MLS News und Analysis?? ;)

Great post. It will be interesting to see if Marvell makes the squad and how his attributes will be accounted for. I can't figure out why they would go a 3 man backline w/ him in there... to test his man-marking ability? Isolate his defensive positioning to gauge his ability? For a player, there's nothing more frustrating than playing in a system that truly doesn't suit your strengths, but coaches often throw you in that situation to isolate your weaknesses in order to strengthen them. For a young buck raring to go... frustrating, but understandable.

The Pole seems very interesting.

3. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Josimer Altidore, the Metros second round pick?

4. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wondered if it was Josimer Altidore. He is a monster. Lotsa teams passed on him. They will all regret having done so!

5. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    The Polish int'l is Piotr Swierczewski, who I believe a time ago was a teammate of David Regis at Metz. He's be tied in the past to other MLS teams, I believe.

6. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    I hope he makes the squad just so we can sing "We've got a great big Pole in your goal. We've got a great big Pole in your goal" to the tune of "He's got the whole world in his hands." :p

7. ETSC

ETSC Member

Jul 5, 2004
    You forgot the diatribes on the failure of youth development\NCAA, yada, yada.

Thanks to the OP for the writeup.

8. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's probably him, he can't report to MLS until he graduated high school... either May or Oct. Metros thought may and picked him.

FYI FCD liked him too and were hopeful of a steal with the next pick after metro.

9. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It was, according to the reports, Josmer Altidore. Just wanted to confirm.

10. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    why play a 3-5-2 when u have wynne? just stick with the two centerbacks MO!

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except he isnt a goalkeeper so that song wouldn't make too much sense. It works for Dudek though.

12. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That kid is gonna be a stud. I was more excited we drafted him than i was Wynne. This kid can really become a world class player in the future IMO.

13. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    I'm going on record that he'll make the squad.

14. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Or play him as a wingback.