Houston, We Have A Shield.

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by taco jones, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Eliezar

Eliezar Member+

Jan 27, 2002
    Houston
    Club:
    12 de Octubre
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen the estimate of 500k illegals in the Houston area. How many of those are Mexican is another story though.

2. nailz

nailz New Member

Nov 2, 2005

that's what I was thinking as well - years usually indicate when the club was formed, but I guess if their team name is 1836 that allievates the issue somewhat (at least to me). ....and 1836 is way, way better than a lot of the alternatives - so I ain't complaining. MLS is starting to get with it...

3. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Undocumented or not, I am not sure many them are going to go:

[Latin American undocumented immigrant]1836?!?!?!?!? :mad: Sons of a Dog! MLS........ BEWARE THE WRATH OF MY LEAF BLOWER!
    [/Latin American undocumented immigrant]

:D

Speaking as a Mexicano, I don't think many of my compatriots, the Mexicano immigrant community, would know wut the hell does 1836 have to do with Houston, Texas, and Mexico. I know a good number of Mexicans that follow Real Madrid and I don't think they ever ponder the historical significance of Spanish imperialism and Mexican independence movement.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the two of the teams with names that can be construed as "foreign - DCU and RSL - were above the league average in attendance, I think you're theory is DOA.

5. Fulham Fan

Fulham Fan New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    Bay Area
    Next to the second number it could say "We found San Jose!"

6. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    MLS is seriously targeting that model train hobbyist demographic.

7. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. Ask Oliver.

8. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    What? Has there been a sighting of an MFL team in Houston?

9. Anthony W

Anthony W New Member

May 8, 2004
    My brother thought that the "United" in DC United stood for the United States Of America. :)

10. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I suppose I should come clean; Christmas is upon us, and I'm not a fan of coal.

97% of you will be relieved to know that this was, for lack of a better word, a complete hoax.

I don't know any bike messengers.

I don't work for MLS, Adidas, or any other company that may be connected to the league.

I just a student who was kicking some ideas around for the Houston identity... And on a whim, I decided to print up an official looking mock-up. Once I printed it and added comments and my initials, I realized that this had the potential to create a bit of a stir. So I took a few blurry photos and made up a story about how they would have come into my possession.

Then I realized my error. Something that would have been a dead give-away if seen.

There's a good reason why the Creative Director never signed off on this design, besides the fact that it needs a few more rounds of reworking. You see, I have a bit of a thing for a certain brunette from "Gremlins" and "Fast Times at Ridgemont High."

[​IMG]

Yes. My creative director is none other than the lovely:

[​IMG]

Phoebe Cates.

So after carefully making sure her name was not legible and/or cropping it out of pictures altogether, I started this thread.

Now I apologize to the ones who liked any of what they saw. I hope I didn't get your hopes up too much.

To those who found plenty to complain about, especially the ones who got worked up (and even angry at MLS) over this: believe me, there are a few of us at this side of the computer screen with sore cheeks from laughing so hard. Hopefully you'll enjoy the "real" name and shield when it's made public, but I have a feeling that one or two of you thrive on having something to be up in arms about.

As for the radio/internet press that picked up on this, the only person to "check his source" before spreading the rumor was 3rd Degree, who was made aware that this wasn't real. Props to him. I didn't want this "hoax" to have any real consequences, but I'm left to wonder if MLS was forced to rush the release of their "Name the Team" contest because of the momentum this rumor was picking up. If that's the case, at this time I'd like to extend my apologies to Major League Soccer. At the same time, assuming MLS is aware of this thread, I hope that some of the dialogue/feedback proves useful to them in their quest to satisfy/attract fans in Houston.

In closing, I hope this was as fun for you and yours as it was for me and mine.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight.

P.S. My actions may have been subconciously influenced by Orson Wells' "F for Fake", a favorite film of mine, so please register any and all complaints with the MPAA.

11. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    And the negative rep starts rolling in! :D

13. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Well that sucks, because I loved the shield and the name. Whatever they end up using (Buffaloes, Gatos, Stallions, etc.) is going to seem utterly stupid in comparison.

14. fc koshigaya

fc koshigaya Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Saitama City,Japan
    Club:
    Omiya Ardija
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not Judge Reinhold are you?

15. 562nation

562nation Member

May 10, 2004
    (562)areacode LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hahahahahahahahaha Brilliant. Totally fooled me

16. AEK

AEK Member

Apr 7, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it wasnt April Fool's day, that would have been perfect.

17. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    Greatness, Taco Jones. Totally had me suckered in.

18. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually I noticed the Phoebe Cates thing. But otherwise, world-class.

19. fordfjord

fordfjord Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, since the first game is April 1st... ;)

But even so, there would have been too many, "It's a prank"-type posts, had this been done for All Fools Day. Doing it at some other time makes the gag all the more believable. I, for one, appreciate it, and wish you all a Merry Christmas anyway!

20. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We've been Punk'd!

Most Excellent - positive rep on the way.

21. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    Very nice! I actually liked the logo, I thought it was unique and generally a good look.

I'll give positive rep to help offset the hurt feelings of others . . . though i'm sure coal is on your list this Christmas anyway;)

22. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Great stuff and you should be put in charge of publicity for MLS Houston. They could not have paid for better press. You sure did make it look realistic and the name is even a good one.

As for the contest being done earlier, don't give yourself too much credit. I heard an interview with Oliver Luck on the radio before your "hoax" and he said they would hopefully have a name in mid January. Remember, these guys start playing in April so they need a team name and logo very soon.

You definitely had everybody going on BS and it was good to hear the local radio guys (who are anti-soccer) talking about this.

23. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So i take it you like corporate tattoos?

24. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Great job, taco jones. You have a real talent for bland corporate logos. Of course, the babysh!t yellow should have been a dead giveaway. I can't imagine anyone running around in a color like that.

25. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Brilliant joke.

But seriously I would back this up and seriously send it to MLS or AEG and make them include it in their considerations. I mean the names they had everyone vote for were quite ridiculous.

So I suggest you send this whole thing ...put your real name and such on it and sell it to MLS. I am dead serious. They will like it.

Merry Christmas.