SSV Update: An ending and perhaps a new beginning

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by guamster, Dec 16, 2005.

1. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Thanks for all the effort, SSV.

2. LeeS

LeeS Member

Mar 23, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This makes me sad... I hope its short lived.

Lee

3. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on SSV. You get it. Thank you.

4. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If SSV becomes the caretakers of the Earthquakes legacy, does that come with the corrollary that only an MLS team is allowed to continue that legacy? If so, then MLS is the real caretaker. I hope MLS relinquishes all ownership of the Quakes legacy so that the San Jose fans are free to go where they want to go with it.

- Paul

5. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    The Earthquakes were an MLS team. Besides, there's no where else you would wanna go.

6. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There will be a soccer league competing with MLS. Bet on it.

7. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber made it sound like the letter of intent gives the City of San Jose the rights to the name, colors, and record of the Earthquakes. If SSV is the real owner of the above, that's significant because it allows the expansion Quakes to make a stadium deal with another city--like Santa Clara. I find it no coincidence that the Santa Clara mayor and several city council members were named as being particularly helpful in SSV's efforts to find a local stadium solution.

Thanks again for all you've done and are continuing to do, SSV! What a fantastic group of individuals. Refusing to lash out at various people, organizations, or government entities is further proof of SSV's quality.

8. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    You are correct. Every US sports league has, at one time or another, faced a challenge from a competitor. But that was usually when the league was financially successful and reluctant to expand. Currently, MLS has neither of those attributes. If you think that people are going to start another league and come into San Jose to lose money, then you are indeed an idiot.

9. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    FIFA only allows one league per country division one status.

11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Wasn't there gonna be something of a post-mortem from SSV? Or did I just imagine that? I was hoping to see their take on the events of the last two or three days. Seems like a lot went down that isn't really out in the media yet.

12. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280023

Maybe the Wake for the Quakes thread needs to be stickied.

Also - Colin mentioned in another thread that they had planned a news conference/press conference (I don't recall the exact wording) for today. Not sure what that will entail.

13. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Gee thanks. I wasn't talking about next year, and I don't necessarily mean San Jose.

14. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure there is.

15. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Right there. That's what I was thinking of. Did that press conference happen?

16. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Corrected ass wipe. The legacy goes beyond MLS.

As your friend says, go die in a fire...

18. porkrind

porkrind Member+

Quakes
    United States
    Sep 27, 2001
    Bostonia
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes, and when we have promotion-relegation in this country, then perhaps we'll have an apples-apples comparison with other countries.

MLS does not have guaranteed division 1 status for the lifetime of its existence.

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bright,
    I know you are referring to the USL, and being the nostalgic type, yes it would be great to be in a league with the Sounders, Timbers and Whitecaps, but I don't see how the USL is going to expand past being a feeder league for the MLS in the foreseeable future. And regarding the Whitecaps, once Kerfoot gets his lovely little stadium built in Vancouver I don't think he will resist the temptation to join the MLS. I don't see the USL in San Jose's future unless there is no I/O and stadium progress for several years and SSV finally says enough is enough, it just ain't gonna happen. If we have a good chance to get back to MLS soon then we need to make all efforts to do so.

20. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Yes. This press release is all very PC and wholesome and predictable. Where is the post-mortem? I want to know what was really going on these last 12 months. Believing is no longer good enough. Silence is no longer acceptable. I am no longer keeping a stiff upper lip. The team is gone and I want to know why it didn't work. I posted some of my questions in another thread and I think our questions should be answered.

21. helmet

helmet New Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Jose

The post mortem is tomorrow at the Downtown Brit at 1 p.m.