Latest from Soccer Silicon Valley (12/14/05)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SoccerSiliconValley, Dec 15, 2005.

1. SoccerSiliconValley

SoccerSiliconValley New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Silicon Valley
    Dear Soccer Silicon Valley member:

The roller coaster ride that we have all been on for the better part of two years is, in all likelihood, about to come to an end.

Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment (SVS&E), the group that manages the Sharks and one of the investors we have been working with for over a year, has been unable to work out a deal to keep the Earthquakes here for 2006, despite their best efforts. We understand that AEG intends to move the team and is expected to make an announcement in a press conference on Friday in Houston.

There is a bit of hope. During our time on this project, a number of investors, several of whom are high-ranking executives in publicly-traded companies, have come to us and expressed a desire to team with other investors in purchasing the Earthquakes. Many of these investors have met with SVS&E, who were willing to serve as the lead investor in the venture and who have an ongoing business relationship with AEG. SSV's board members are working with these investors to determine their willingness to purchase and operate the team.

We have already petitioned MLS and AEG for ownership of the Earthquakes' legacy--the team's name, colors, trophies, and history--if the team is relocated. When we first approached AEG with this idea in August of 2004, they indicated that they would be willing to do this. We expect that it is still true now.

If the quality and passion of a team's fans were the only barometer of its success, the Earthquakes would be recognized as one of the best teams anywhere and the shining light of Major League Soccer. Unfortunately, the economic reality is that without a stadium, the Earthquakes cannot continue as a viable business.

Thank you as always for your support. We will continue to keep you updated as events unfold.

Yours in soccer,
    Colin McCarthy and the Founding Members of SSV:
    Don Gagliardi
    Jay Hipps
    Tony Huston
    John Jussen
    Carol Vartuli Marin
    Mike Turco

2. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    damnit, this sucks. you guys deserve better.

Vaya Con Dios, Quakes. :( :( :(

3. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I am so sad right now :(

4. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just read it, there's always a sliver of hope i guess, but we're going to need a huge miracle :(

5. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Quakes do indeed move, I hope SSV stays in business in trying to get San Jose the 2008 expansion team. Of course, a stadium would have to be the key in the deal, but hey, it's food for thought...

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i feel like i've been kicked in the stomach.

i wanna hurl.

7. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(
    *sigh*

My heart hurts.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Happy holidays everyone.

9. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Damn............... :(

I'll miss............................

10. shasta

shasta New Member

Mar 8, 2004
    AEG SVCKS
    Man,

I really didn't think it was going to end.

11. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    Can't believe this nightmare ! ! ! ! ! The best team in the MLS for the 2005 Season gets shipped out ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! NO WAY ! ! ! ! ! :(

12. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Peter Magowan, or someone similar, around? :rolleyes:

********!

13. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    This is reallyyyyy bad.... for the fans and soccer in America.

BYE BYE 10 YEARS OF HISTORY.... I can't believe it :(

MLS Stinks.

14. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    Houston Sux ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. quakesfan2003

quakesfan2003 New Member

Jun 5, 2003
    Brentwood, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking that. Someone is going to have to pull off a 1992 magic act to keep the team here. And to think, I left the final game a minute early because I didn't want to see the Galaxy celebrate on our field.

16. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Surely AEG will make good on leaving your colours, shield, name,
    and hardware behind. It would not go down well with other
    supporters across the league.

My condolences to all.

-bs

17. SilverLake

SilverLake New Member

Jul 24, 2005
    I'm so, so sad. In tears, and feeling silly for crying over a soccer team. But I love the experience, it has been a staple of our family fun, the players and atmosphere are amazing, and I miss it already.

What the hell happened - remember 5-10 years ago when San Jose was the soccer hub of the States? Internationals at Spartan on a regular basis, the World Cup, the Brazilians in Los Gatos, Brandi, Ronnie, even Landon seemed to belong here, because San Jose was "it" for soccer in this country.

I wish I had appreciated those days when I had them - it never occurred to me that they would not last.

Trolls back off, this is a real loss for the SJ fans.

SL

18. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupidest move EVER by all involved from AEG to MLS to the city of San Jose.

I guess folks will be up all night working on this last ditch effort. But gosh, it just sounds bad.

I'm numb.

Nap - [​IMG] - your avatar.

19. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    Tampa Bay Mutiny Gone ! ! ! Miami Fusion Gone ! ! ! ! San Jose Earthquakes Ii Time Mls Champs Almost Gone ! ! ! ! ! :(

Ok Mls Who Else Is Next ?

20. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    No one is next.

MLS seems to have solved its problems, albeit at our expense.

Sucks for us :(

I'll be wearing my 01 Jersey here in Montana. Last day i'll be able too saying "Its San Jose's professional soccer team".

21. boomersooner027

May 13, 2004
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahamas
    Sorry guys, I truly believe you'll have a team within 5 years.

22. bri637

bri637 Member

Jun 26, 2005
    San Bruno, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can't believe that my last memory of spartan and the quakes is going to be seeing the loser ass galaxy players celebrating, the official word of them moving hasn't even happened yet and i'm already depressed beyond belief :(

23. TheDuffer

TheDuffer New Member

May 1, 2005
    Princeton, NJ
    i cannot even imagine what it is like to be in your shoes, i am so sorry for your loss. i know that it the eagles ever left philadelphia i think that i would die. but, even though it hurts, this is not the end of soccer in san jose. i have followed ssv from afar for a couple months now and your dedication and passion is what the MLS should strive for. the earthquakes will return to the bay area sooner than later, it happened with the browns after they moved to baltimore. dont lose hope and keep your loyalties true. you are all an inspiration to the fans of american soccer.

24. SuperQuake

SuperQuake New Member

Jun 11, 2005
    MLS STINKS there is no respect for the fans... sad day in soccer history...

The sad, really sad story, is that we knew it... from a couple of years ago... we couldn't come up with a deal to keep the team in SJ...

25. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin or any other SSV insiders- if you are reading this, the local TV news stations would like to have some personal verification of this to get it on the 11:00 news.

I forwarded the e-mail to some colleagues there and they called me right away as if I could verify something.