I Found the 2nd Freddy Adu

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by JohnR, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
  2. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
  4. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    There is also a story on top drawer soccer with a more detail on why/how he was adopted and him as a player. He seems like a really good kid who loves the game and someone talented enough to be the second Freddy? I dont think big soccer can handle another Freddy

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Turns 12 in December, meaning he was born in the final quarter of an odd year. Thus, this kid has no chance for move up in US youth soccer. :rolleyes:

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The exception to the rule would be 11 year olds who have the size, speed, and agility of the typical high school freshman.

However, there don't seem to be native-born Americans who meet that description. Even the really good ones. For example, I saw Kirk Urso when he was Charles Renken's current age. That version of Kirk would have lost about 99-1 in a 1 vs. 1 game against Charles.

7. tubby_butter

tubby_butter Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Providence
    All this says to me is that, clearly, Region II is the best. In fact, Freddy would probably be less of a disappointment, had he been playing amongst the U.S.'s finest, Region II.

;)

8. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Would be any questions of him having citizenship? or no because he was adopted by american citizens?

9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    He has the same name as an old car dealer from Billings so I shall call him by the same nickname, "Cranky Ranky".

10. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'd like this question answered too because i would like to adopt kids in future.

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Please look to Brazil... and adopt boys!

BTW, foreign children adopted by US parents are granted US citizenship pretty much as soon as the adoption becomes official.

12. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Can someone adopt Ronnie O'Brien?

13. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    From a story I wrote after watching the U14 National Team camp - about four very good prospects. Charles was 1 of them (story came out on the 16th by the way so take that Edwardsville Sun!) :
    (the full story is available at www.topdrawersoccer.com)

"Charles Renken

Charles Renken is one of the most compelling stories for any number of reasons. For starters he was one of the better players at the camp. He’s athletic, but he shows a good soccer brain in terms of his decisions and his off-the-ball work. While he can run by a lot of players, he’s clearly been coached to attempt defense-splitting passes and combine with teammates. He also demonstrated some flair and creativity with flicks, backheels and juggling.

Then there’s the age thing. Charles is 11, playing up two years with this age group and excelling at the national level. He is tall for his age for sure, but particularly when talking with him it’s not difficult to accept 11 as his legitimate age (and the youth soccer world being what it is, it’s important to mention this).

Charles lives in Southern Illinois and plays for Scott Gallagher SC, the St. Louis-based club with a history of success and player development. He previously played for another top developmental club, Metro FC.

Charles moved to the U.S. from his native Zambia in February of 2003 after being adopted by Seth and Pam Renken. Pam Renken explained that Charles’ birth mother had lost a son and a daughter to disease and was willing to let Charles and two other brothesr be adopted for the sake of their future. Having already brought older brother Richard into the household via their involvement with a Christian organization, Mr. and Mrs. Renken, who had lost one of their sons, Joshua, 16 years ago, felt a higher calling to adopt Charles and his older brother Peter upon news of his sister’s death in Zambia.

“They are nice parents and they take care of me and my brothers,” Is the soft-spoken Charles’ succinct evaluation of the Renkens. “I love them.”

Charles is not so reserved in expressing himself on the soccer field, as Gallagher director of coaching Tom Howe notes.

“He’s got a good knowledge of the game for his age. He’s one of those kids who lives and dies soccer. He practices all the time on his own. Some players are like that but not too many of them,” Howe said. “That’s all he does, which is great. When he’s away from practice he always has a ball. He watches all the time. A lot of kids today don’t have patience to do that, but he copies a lot of the good players.”

Region II and Metro FC coach Dale Schilly said Renken's devotion shows on the field, and noted that for Renken, playing up is the right thing.

"He's extremely comfortable with the soccer ball, it's like second nature for him, and he's got a great brain in his head. He's got a future that's for sure," Schilly said. "Anytime you get someone that skillful and technical that they can play up and still master the ball, it's important for them to do that. So many times you see 13-year olds who dominate because of speed and athleticism. Well Charles is athletic but he's at different level because of his skill. It doesn't affect him too much at all to play up."

Charles said his recent experiences at national camp were an eye opener.

“I did OK at first and then I started to do better. It was faster and I had to get used to it,” he said. “The way they passed the ball quick, you don’t have a lot of time to run or dribble.

Back in Zambia, Charles didn’t have as much exposure to the worldwide game, but took advantage of the chances he did have.

“I just heard about it but I don’t know a lot about it. We had a TV and sometimes they would show the UEFA Cup, I would go to a friend’s house and watch World Cup videos.”

Pam Renken says Charles, who also made the Region II pool for the 1991 age group (three years up) has no trouble focusing on the game now.

“He’s obsessed. He’ll sleep with the soccer ball. When he called from national camp, I’d try to divert his attention to something else, about the family dog or something, but you can’t divert him. He focuses on school, but as soon as he’s done there’s a soccer ball at his feet, and it’s always soccer on TV. I’m pretty sure he dreams about soccer. I know I’ve learned a ton about it from him.”

Pam mentioned that when Charles first came over, she signed him up for a YMCA recreational league, being completely unaware of the youth soccer landscape. After one evening of seeing with the other players, older brother Richard gently suggested she should find something a little more challenging for him. Thirty months later he’s playing for a national team, and who knows what’s next.

“I know there are a lot of changes coming in the next couple of years,” Pam Renken said. “Everybody has been telling me that. Charles wants to become a professional and build a a soccer academy and educational center back in Zambia.”

Don’t forget that he’s only 11, but don’t forget the name Charles Renken either."

14. bltleo

bltleo Member+

Jan 5, 2003
    GERMANY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

thanks..us soccerman....

so if me as a german come to live and work in the usa and integrated
    with the society, i can say i was an american......hm....what i like
    is that americans are so open nation...

so if me as a german girl only post here on american board
    about american soccer and if i´m a fan of american soccer,
    does it mean, i´m "half"-american already?.....i integrated here already:)

so what now?

bltleo

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Great stuff. Hard not to root for a guy like this. If he 's the next Freddy, great. But more important is he has a great home and hopefully will use the game to get an education or make a whole lotta loot or whatever and improve his life and that of his family.

If you didn't get a bit of a tear reading that story, well, I'm not gonna pass judgement. I'll just say I teared up a tad reading about this kid.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    So if MLS gets its acadamies off the ground the Fire have dibs on this kid.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not necessarily. He lives in the St. Louis area, plays for Scott Gallagher. I could see St. Louis being designated as Wizards territory.

18. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    He's the next Freddy Adu and he's from Africa originally, so I think that DC should get him. :)

19. fnsandpwr

fnsandpwr New Member

Jul 20, 2005
    Houston
    he is 12(skipped a year 2003=10,2005=11 :confused: )

20. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    As it should be until St. Louis gets their own team.

21. USsoccerman

USsoccerman Member

Oct 8, 2003
    New York
    "half"-american already?.....maybe. well your half-american is spirit at the very least.

22. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hell, you're more American than Tom Dooley. If you were good enough, we'd cap you.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    You have to sleep with one of us! Ya know, to really be considered American. ;)

24. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    cap in the Bruce Arena way, or cap in the Tupac Shakur way?:)

25. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    marry me and be a full fledged citizen :D
    u don't even have to sleep with me like Sandon Mibut wanted u to
    I'll take the lazy boy in front of the telly u can have the bed.. we'll just pretend to be lovey dovey when the ins is visiting