Questions for Peter Wilt Version 5.2 - Peter Wilt: Can you feel the love?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by jjayg, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    we will have them for our Fire game.

peter

2. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    tbd

peter

3. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    So Peter,

As I'm sure you know, Eliseo Quintanilla is released from DC. Given the fact that we really only have Thiago in attacking MF (God forbid were he to ever get injured), and Capano out long term...Are we interested?

NL

4. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    no.

peter

5. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side
    i heard a pretty good rumor this week that Real M adrid is coming to Chicago and they will likely play the Fire on a Saturday in July -- person i spoke to tends to know about big games (I heard about England friendly, and long ago Derby County and Hamburg coming to play Chicago from him well before they were public) -- think there there truth to this. any comment or something you can share?

posted on Real board too.

6. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    That would be interesting to see, because the Fire have games on every Saturday in July, except the 30th (All-Star Game)

July 2nd @ Chivas

July 9th home vs. New England

July 16th home vs. Columbus

July 23rd @ Colorado

July 30th MLS All-Star Game

7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the rumor is true I don't know why we couldn't play 7/30 in the evening as the all star game is in the afternoon and we won't be missing many players for the all-star game that's for sure. Or we could play sunday 7/31.

8. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks,

Follow up question. Are we looking for a Thiago backup in the transfer window, or are we waiting out the Capano situation?Or does it seem like we have it covered otherwise? Rolfe maybe?

Thiago just seems so important to the team right now, especially in the attack. I really do shudder to think what might happen to our season were he to get injured.

NL

9. Patrick Geiger

Patrick Geiger New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Peter,
    I know you were once the general manager of the Chicago Power (of the former NPSL indoor league), and I was wondering about the thoughts of the Fire organization about the indoor game and its positive/negative effect on outlook of the outdoor game. The Chicago Storm (of the MISL) wrapped up its first season, and as far as I can tell, did not attract much attention from Chicagoans. A former A-League team, the Milwaukee Wave-United, once had an affiliated indoor team, the Milwaukee Wave (also of the MISL). Would any MLS team ever consider affiliating itself with an indoor team to attempt to keep the interest of fans during the off-season? In my experience, the indoor game seems to have a lot of appeal to pre-high school age fans, while the outdoor game in this country has more appeal to older fans. If the Fire were to have an affiliated indoor team, could you foresee that having an effect on more youth becoming active fans of the professional outdoor game?

Thanks,
    Patrick Geiger

10. murtaugh

murtaugh Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    They are doing this.

Anything's possible, I guess.

That would pretty much be the worst day for me ever even if it was the greatest for the Fire.

11. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Seems more likely to me that the RM tour and the Chelsea tour collide in Chicago.

12. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since it seems likely that RM will be playing here in Chicago, does anyone know if a double header will be scheduled with the Fire? Peter if so, let me know as I will be very likely to buy tickets for that.

13. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    I think we were planning to send our reserve squad since they will undoubtedly send theirs.

Sorry - almost forgot I need a PW question.

PW - As long as we're on the subject of Capano, can we assume he's progressing through therapy? How far is he from starting workouts? I hope his spirits are not too shaken by this setback. I was really hoping that this would be Craig's year.

14. Wolves1935

Wolves1935 New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Prospect Heights
    That would lead credence to why RM didn't allow Beckham to come over for the US-England game, save his Chicago appearance for when his club team comes over, means more $ for the promoter (vs. the $ to US Soccer!).

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me say that I will attend both matches if that is the case. Limited funds so 2 for 1 would be great.

16. FireAddict

FireAddict Member

Nov 15, 2000
    Grayslake, IL
    Peter:

Is Justin back with the team? Given how short we seem to be over the next weeks... it must be a tough call finding the right balance between the team's needs and giving Justin the time he needs.

17. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Justin has returned and trained with the team this week.

peter

18. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Craig, like anyone with that injury, is frustrated with the tedium of the rehab, but it is going well. He is on schedule for a return late this season.

peter

19. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i think having your hands in both an indoor and outdoor team is too demanding for one organization. The organization ends up being in operations mode year round and ultimately neglects the necessary sales efforts. i think this is what doomed the Milwaukee Wave year round efforts.

You may have a point that outdoor is more appealing to adults than indoor, but i think that is probably a generalization that only pertains to adults with experience playing soccer. i think kids can enjoy both indoor and outdoor, but the close quarters and massive overload on the senses, make attending an indoor game more appealing for kids with short attention spans.

peter

20. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peter,
    Is the consensous to stay with Dave no matter what for the rest of the year?
    I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is just something missing from this team. A spark, something to get these guys going. the talent is there, but as I say this Jessie Marsch just scored. 2-2.

Sorry excuse the pun, but where is the Fire in this team?

21. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So of course after I make this post the Fire score 3 Goals in 7 mins. totally trashing my other post.

22. Peter Wilt

Peter Wilt Member

Jun 11, 1999
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    i think it is human nature for fans to react to the latest development with their teams - both positively and negatively, so i understand the angst and, at times, desire for change from the fans. Similar to long term investment strategies, however, i believe it is best for teams to hire people you believe in, and support them with the long term interests of the organization in mind.

We have been fortunate in Chicago to have had two outstanding leaders in the Head Coach position. There will always be peaks and valleys, brilliant decisions and poor decisions, but long term support in a quality coaching department, as in a quality investment, pays dividends over time.

Too many teams have erred in making rash decisions with the head coach to try to fix short term problems. This has created inconsistency in teams and has turned off some very good potential coaches due to the perceived (and sometimes real) lack of security in an MLS head coaching position. Stability in this position is very important to a team's and organization's success.

peter

23. KC135E

KC135E New Member

Mar 18, 2005
    Chicago IL
    Peter, we are very lucky.. and maybe were a little spoiled. Our team has set records and won from the start, simply by hard work and trusting in our teams desire to win...these are all hard working pepole. and I agree that Stability is the key to any program that wants to compeate year after year. All we have to do is look at the constant flux in outher teams. I may not like everything Dave does, but some how it is working.. Heck what ever they fed Nate at half time PLEASE order some up for the whole team.. Great Game!! Go Fire Have a Good Day :)

24. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs

Speaking of long term investments, can we sign both Rolfe and Segares to 17 year contracts? From what I've seen so far I'm hoping to see these guys in Fire red for a long, long time.

FWIW - point taken about the need for job security in MLS coaching. Please know I didn't start the career deathwatch thread casually. Nothing would make me happier than to see the club return to form and the player development bearing fruit with Dave at the helm. I'm not ready to call it a sea change yet, but I, for one, am greatly encouraged by the overall imrpovement of the last month.

Regards - Bing

25. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the word on Armas & Herron this week? Are they expected to be back training?

Thanks.