Emergency Meeting tonight @ Globe, re: Peter Wilt

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by 352gialloblu, Apr 11, 2005.

1. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mate we're all worked up. This kind of news is rocking the REAL supporters and fans to the core. No need to apologize - though we all really need a nice stiff drink. I'll be hitting the Jack n' Coke HEAVILY tonight. I only added the spelling comment to try and give a laugh to lighten the mood.

2. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    All credit to Snake Eyes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    OH GOD NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know man HOLY SH1TE! Stop it! My eyes are BLEEDING!

5. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    This is going to get really. really. really. bad.

6. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I laugh everytime I see it too. :D

Might as well throw in the animated gif too:

[​IMG]

7. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Cuban agrees with you.

http://blogmaverick.com/entry/1234000963030046/

Sports marketing education is bogus.

8. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I'm calling him David Brent from now on.

9. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's to coincide with the launch of the American version of The Office.

10. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Yeah, but I get enjoyment from watching David Brent fail.

11. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    But did that make Tim any less of a sales rep?

12. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Yea. You don't wake up one morning, days before your home opener, and suddenly say to yourself, "You know? We need someone with more sales experience than PW. I wish I could get that Guppy guy....I wonder if Nick would be willing to let him go?"

By the way, re MPF: where, exactly was all that brilliant marketing seen? Was it on billboards, newspapers, TV ads.... ?

13. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

The South Park one isn't real. I wish I could say that about the rest of them.

14. B Rock

B Rock Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Yup. I was one of those who actually thought it would be a challenging major that would teach me something. I still want that year of my life back.

Welcome to the world of primetime sports MLS fans, where GMs like Billy Beane are viewed as idiots and your degree says more about you then your results.

Making a quantitative comparison between the two of these guys is absolultey laughable. Wilt has turned an expansion franchise into a respectable one, cultivated a fan base, and secured funding for a new stadium. Oh, and he won a few trophies along the way.

The Metros organization is the bane of the MLS, with horrific attendance and fan support for the #1 market in the country. They also have been unable to close a stadium deal and have repeatedly put a subpar product on the field for fans, how many trophies have they won again?

But we're reaching the watershed point of sport, where you know it has made it. When your sport becomes so burecratic that qualitative results (such as education or "leadership qualities") count more than your black and white results.

I feel like throwing up personally.

15. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I am finished. I can't handle this anymore tonight. I will talk to you guys tomorrow.

great scott what a bad thing has been done.

16. gpmetro33

gpmetro33 New Member

Apr 11, 2005
    new jersey
    Hi guys,

This is my first post but I just had to register and post. I have been following the Metros since year one and have been a season ticket holder for the first five. The first thing that Guppy did when he first arrived to the Metros was to fire the sales staff. The ironic part is that the Metros have not been able to get the same numbers since then. What I am getting at is that the old sales staff(Bob Byer was my rep) really cared about the fans which is what Peter did at the Fire but now I am scared that Guppy will do the same at the Fire and ruin the fan base. :mad:

17. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    His presence alone has already ruined the fan base.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I kind of miss Decepticon Lazerbeak coming here to tell us how big of an Asshat David Brent has been in person.

19. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    To bring it back on topic, anyone hear anything new yet from the Globe?

20. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sounds like something that Nick and Steve will LAY into hard tomorrow on their radio show. Send bunches of emails. :D

I'm still looking for a 3rd party official journalist opinion outside of forums and blogs. Still haven't found one (outside of a press-releaseish FSC article which said everyone had no comment and no reason was given).

21. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Is anyone going to go the press conference tomorrow?

22. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...11fire,1,3013610.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

23. Ron Keller

Ron Keller New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Shampoo-Banana
    Keeping Peter Wilt in the front office is the best thing the Fire could possibly have done to increase sales.

AEG can AET me.

24. doug001001

doug001001 Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AEG is spending millions on the new stadium, don't they have the right to put in an organization they believe will get the most out of their investment?

In their eyes, maybe club records for season ticket sales isn't enough to get back the large investment they put in. So they thought they needed a change.

Avg'ing 17k in a 60k seat stadium isn't fully utilizing the resources that they have.

Just playing devils advocate. I like Peter as much as the rest, but can see the other side.

the way they are pissing off the fan base is clearly going about it the wrong way. but just think about the other side for a second.

25. stevewhit0

stevewhit0 New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Champaign, IL
    Then why Guppy?