Simpson to Milwall?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sandon Mibut, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's a rumor floating around that recent Canadian full team debutant Josh Simpson has signed with FA Cup runner-up Milwall.

Can you guys shed any light on this? I know Canada played Milwall and I know Frankie Y has loads of contacts in England that Simpson, as a college student, is available on a free and that his stock is soaring after his play in the World Youth Championship and with the full national team.

So, a move like this wouldn't be at all surprising. I'm just trying to find out if its true.

2. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    Well, the rumour is that both he and Serioux (of the Toronto Lynx) have signed provisional contracts with Milwall about two weeks ago. The delay in the announcement is that Milwall is supposedly awaiting visa clearance from the UK government (neither apparently have EU passports) before making any announcements, to avoid embarrasssment (and in the case of Simpson possible NCAA eligibility problems). The UK have recently changed their visas for short-term work, but as to whether they will be granted is really up in the air.

There is lots of circumstantial evidence around (including Serioux not showing up for Lynx matches and Simpson not showing up for matches with the summer PDL Boulder team), and solid inside rumours, to show that these rumours are not just wild speculation. If the visas fall through, then we may never have confirmation that the arrangemnts existed in the first place. The truth will only probably be really known IF the visas are granted and a Milwall announcemnt is made.

That's the scuttlebutt, anyway.

Incidentally, chances are good that either one of either Simpson or Serioux will be named to the August 18 squad for the Guatemala semi, as Hume is redcarded out for that match. It was only the Canada B team that played Milwall and Hearts earlier this month.

3. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    From the V website, from Simpson's Dad today:

"Josh's mom and I (Dad) would like to thank-you for the support you have given Josh and the other Canadian players. We appreciate this board and the interactions it provides. It is becoming more difficult each year to keep current on Josh's soccer and we talk to him on a regular basis.

Josh is in London and has received his visa. There are some details to work out (team medical etc.) but there will be an announcement soon.

Many teams have approached Josh over the last 4 years. He has had many good options to choose from. He has given each much consideration. His schooling is still a priority for him and I am sure he will continue to enjoy his pursuit of a degree in accounting. (It will just take a little longer)

Josh told us at the age of 10 that he was going to help Canada get to the World Cup. I can assure you that this is a very real goal for Josh.

Thank you, again for your support

Chuck Simpson"

Also, word from the Lynx team is that everything is done with Serioux and Milwall, and that serioux is now training with Milwall.

Good for both these guys. I'll have to seriously evaluate my dislike for Milwall now.