Juninho back to LA

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Flex Buffchest, Feb 7, 2012.

1. ripsaa

ripsaa New Member

Jun 1, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Can't wait till the Summer Friendlies also....just saying

2. Statman

Statman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This chart needs to be posted every time someone complains about LAG being given supposedly preferential treatment.

The numbers don't lie!

3. tomreel555

tomreel555 New Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Also, shouldn't LA be exempt from Omar Gonzalez's salary counting against the cap? I assume they put him on IR or something, like they do in the NHL and NFL.

That would be another 100k of extra space.

Crappy news for TFC fans though.

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were carrying some of JPA's number which basically wiped out the half-season savings on Keane. But the MLSPU numbers are not gospel for the cap even though they are a good guideline from everything reported.

5. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    No, rules explicitly state they are responsible for the salary as long as they keep him on the roster. They do have an option to replace the roster spot - both long and short term - but no cap saving.

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Injured players still count against the salary cap but not the 30 man roster cap.

Counting all of Keane's salary LA would need 250K of allocation funds to fit the 2011 team under the 2012 cap., based on the chart above. Seems feasible that they're under the cap right now.

They should be pretty much out of funds and cap room now though. Another big signing will have me wondering if they're getting favors.

7. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was my understanding at the time too, hence Leonardo's injury making him SEI (Season Ending Injury) and thus his roster spot being taken by Robinson, but his salary still counting against the cap.

That 2011 chart is going to be very outdated, and I've put together one from 2012 with salary projections for new contracts and signings, and it looks like we're going to be floating around $3.2m , meaning we'll need about $400k in allocation money.

Bruce has already said that we have more allocation money now than he's had since he got here, so presumably $400k is within the realm of possibility.

If Keane's loan fee (rumored to be half a million pounds) can count as allocation (2/3 going to LA), then that would net us more than $500k in allocation money.

The wording is ambiguous as to whether or not it will count:
    A loan is a transfer, albeit a temporary one.

Of course, Buddle could easily be on $400k, there are rumors that we won't be picking up any of Juninho's salary, Leo could have signed for less.

Also bear in mind that I've updated the minimum and reserve salaries the customary 5%, and given all returning players a 5% raise (some may be less, some may be more, but it should balance out more or less)

[​IMG]

Yellow means salary assumptions I've made. They could me more or less than that, however, so take it with a large grain of salt.

I also haven't added salaries for players who haven't signed.

OBP= Off Budget Player
    SBP= Salary Budget Player

I'll do a more detailed one after the first release of the new salary numbers (early May).

3 people repped this.
  8. Poling

Poling Member

May 14, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    must spread Rep; nice work!!!

9. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Why is everybody assuming we've made "expensive signings"? Berhalter, Kirovski, Birchall, Ricketts and Hejduk all had substantial salaries and now they're gone.

Buddle probably commanded a solid non-DP salary. Sarvas might be over 100k.

Suddenly, with the "addition" of Juninho (who isn't really an addition) we "must" be over the cap? A guy who was on 80k last season and probably gets the bulk of his salary from his own club?

There's no evidence whatsoever that the team is cheating. I think it sucks that Arena gets no credit for using savvy to draft and loan well outside the DPs, while using vets to help bring through the young players.

Not to mention fixing the clvster******** he must have found upon his arrival in 2008.

1 person likes this.
  10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think LA is just being very aggressive in a) amassing allocation money and b) spending it on top line talent rather than depth.

But to me, it's a big, big "fairness" problem if loan money counts as allocation money as if it's a sale. The logic of the latter is that the team needs to replace the sold player so they get allocation money. But LA doesn't have to replace Landon or Keane. Logically, it doesn't work for me.

But I'm not an LA fan so maybe I'm missing something. But you're going to have to tell me what it is.

11. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I agree with you, although I'm open for more arguments. I think the team should get some good money out of the loans of DP players - to offset the team-covered portion of their DP salary. But any allocation funds should be quite limited, if any. But I've heard multiple versions of what the rules are, and I don't think I've seen anything definitive.

12. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I asked a question in another thread about this type of thing awhile ago, but I'll repeat it here:
    Is Omar's salary going to count against the cap considering that he was injured before squad registrations are due? If he was injured during the season -and after being registered- I could understand, but if he's already on Injured Reserve/Season-Ending IR, he can't officially be registered yet, can he?

13. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    ********ing barf.

1 person likes this.
  14. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    unless they release him yes. Now, depending on guaranteed contracts and such, they have some time to make that decision but if he stays on their books yes it counts.

15. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA got allocation when they first qualified for the CCL I think each team got what 50g then teams get more when they get into the group(don't know how much) and then 100g for getting out of the Group stage. I know Grant Wahl talked about it when he did an article on RSL.

I know the Crew GM has said that they have a pile allocation.

16. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a big change, but DP hit is $350k this season.

17. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link for this? It makes sense being a 5% increase (as everything else is increasing), but last year the DP hit didn't go up despite everything else going up.

Your logic is sound but a bit limited. Every team has the ability to loan their players out, so it's less of a thing of "replacing players" and more of "money generated for the league". If a team loaned a player out for a whole year, they'd have to replace that player for the year, and could they use the money in that case? It's a slippery slope using logic like that, where you have an arbitrary set of rules defining an arbitrary amount of time he must miss with club in order for it to count as allocation. Who is to say that Keane not joining us for preseason isn't hurting out team's ability to gel and subsequently their performance at the beginning of the season?

Basically I see it as money that MLS generates from players that they reinvest in players. Since LA generated the money by loaning Keane out, they should benefit from that, and they do in any case.

For me it boils down to this:

Either the transfer fee goes completely to the club, MLS doesn't take a cut and the club can't use it for allocation.

-or-

MLS takes a cut, and because they are taking money that club has generated, they allow club to use their portion as allocation.

It doesn't follow that MLS would take a cut and not allow said club to use it as allocation.

18. MUTINYFAN

MUTINYFAN Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Orlando
    Why did he not stay with Sao Paulo was he surplus to requirements? He is not good enough for SPFC but he is a star in MLS?

Kind of funny with Danilo Silva the inverse happened. He barely did anything with NYRB then stars for Internacional Porto Alegre and now plays for Dynamo Kiev.

Sometimes certain players perform better in different set ups. Dario Conca was a no name in Argentina but became a big star in Brazil.

19. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Since the Galaxy usually employs a full compliment of DP instead of buying down contracts, I assume they still have the You Suck allocation from a few seasons ago. They have probably accumulated quite a stash of allocation funds over the years including CCL and certain transactions. I am not a expert on the rules regarding the salary budget, but I don't think there are any shenanigans going on anymore.

20. eacorletto

eacorletto New Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Yes, one that they are happy to be staying under.....

21. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a real shame that Gonzalez got injured. With him, that's looking like a team that could play with anyone on the continent, North or South.

22. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. If you invested in a player good enough that AV wants to loan him and pay you for it, you do it. But it is a risk for the club loaning out the player. What if Keane/LD gets hurt on loan? But really, if you invest a lot of money in buying a top player, you should be able to spend the money gained on a loan.

That's part of the benefit of bringing in top talent to MLS. What is stopping other clubs from buying top players? Their owners. If you're willing to spend millions on bringing in some of the best talent MLS has seen, good enough EPL clubs want them on loan, of course you should receive allocation money. The ones complaining are supporters of team with owners too cheap to buy a player an EPL club would want on loan.

NY is also getting allocation money for the Henry loan. There's nothing stopping a club like SJ or NE from buying a top player who could go out loan in the off season and bring in allocation money. The only thing stopping them is cheap ass owners. Fans who don't like this should start demanding their owners start buying better talent.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I'm gonna have to politely disagree.

The backline features a Best XI player from last year who has been capped by the US (Dunivant), a former Rookie of the Year who has been capped by the US (Franklin) and a third player who was just capped by the US who can play across the backline (DeLaGarza) plus a veteran of New Zealand's (undefeated) World Cup team (Boyens), a player who has been a starter for the Galaxy the past two years when healthy (Leonardo) and a well-regarded rookie CB (Meyer).

It's not nearly as good as it was with Omar Gonzalez and it's not the strength of this team and it will likely get exposed from time to time. But by MLS standards, it's still a very good defensive unit.

And with the midfield and forwards LA has this season, it doesn't need to carry the team, it just needs to be solid. And there's no reason to think they won't be solid.

One thing is certain - if the backline is a weakness, they won't stand pat. They'll make a move. It's Arena's way and it's damn sure the AEG way.

I also won't be surprised if they claim someone off waivers before the season starts if a veteran CB gets cut, particularly as a cap casualty.

I don't think they'll win the quad but this team should win multiple trophies this year.

I also think that the team is very focused on CONCACAF. It's no secret the league and the USSF want this BADLY, as does Tim Leiwike (and Landon Donovan, for that matter) and you know Arena wants to be the first MLS coach to win the CCL and even Beckham would like to win confederation championships in two different regions, something not many players have done.

But because of that, I imagine they'll use reserves in some MLS games and not be fully energized for some others so I suspect they'll drop a few league games early on that they ordinarily wouldn't if they weren't playing "on the continent."

2 people repped this.
  24. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With LA having 3 DPs in 2012, does the $250,000 "fine" they have to pay to the rest of the league count as part of their cap? Probably not, but I wanted to ask.

Also, I wonder if all the money the teams with 3 DPs (NY, LA, ?) give to the rest of the league, does each club get to count that as a allocation gift?

25. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    if juninho's salary is covered, he should have a 0 cap hit no? that would swing the numbers in a big way.