preston Zimmerman slams Klinnsmann thread

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by F96, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) but that's defying your list of who gets called up ;)
    2) I have no true reference point of the mexican league, but from what ive seen of their callups under bob i didnt feel the need to return just yet.
    3)Torres did well under JK, but our attack was stagnant. Will he fit into the new team?? who knows...
    4)Morales is a young former US youth national team player who JK received heavy praise from his manager. The callup to me emphasized that the US are interested, but he needs time to develop (seeing as he didnt play).

If you have no problem with the German Youth System training 50% of our future team, why do you have a problem with the handful of players being included with the seniors now? The only questionable player has been Morales. Williams and Johnson are seeing PT with B.1 teams. Chandler is staring for his and has interest from various teams. Jones can't BUY time under JK, despite starting for his club in the past 8-9 games. Word from his manager, Morales is on the verge of breaking through to the 1st team.

Who are the players being snubbed for these?? Now if the snubbed players are simply college bound players, i would point out that with Caleb at the helm, he would have somewhat an understanding of what the players in college are capable of (to some extent). More so then Zimmerman will/does

It was addressed publicly, just never answered. Not to mention it was only apparent as a problem to a portion of the fan base. The other portion didnt care or didnt see it as an issue.

Zimmerman seems to be the only one who's making this a big deal. Now we can assume that he feels he's completely off the radar and doesnt stand a chance to make the team, however, still a common enough name amongst some of the fans that his words will have more power behind them. Quite frankly, much like the Nepotism debate, we wont know til the players come out. And at this point the players seem rather positive on the subject... just like the Nepotism topic.

And here in lies the problem. There are plenty of players who do not have the ability to go abroad, nor the ability to sign with MLS teams. College is their only route to continue the dream. And i think most fans dont rate college as high as young pros, it has been pretty apparent that the college scene has been losing it's stance in the U20's for many cycles now. This is not a new discussion.

Those players who opt for college and then become pro typically have a different route. More likely some will develop into decent MLS options, some will manage to make it to a larger scale, some will even crack the USMN team, most will get generic 9-5 jobs. Players develop at different rates.

2. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this. I follow prospects and current players on the national team in YA. I really dont care what Rossi is doing with Villarreal; however, that doesnt make him any less of an American and he deserves his spot there

3. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are happy that you both appreciate as well how the forum's mission and scope is broadly conceived.

4. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, no one should argue that he isn't American, but if no one is tracking him I understand.

5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather see it in person. :)

6. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hear Preston has a bum toe right now.:p

7. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if Germans are up in arms about this "fake" German

Klose himself said in an interview in 2008 to Przegląd Sportowy that it would be best for him not to be called German or Polish, but European. As he stated in an interview to Der Spiegel in 2007, his family at home speaks Polish to each other, with his twin sons Luan and Noah learning German in Kindergarten. He has a Polish-born wife, Sylwia Klose.

8. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He can call himself whatever he wants as long as he grew up in Germany, which he did.

And he's also one the highest scoring international strikers of all-time, so I really doubt anyone's complaining.

Is your point that Alfredo Morales is our Klose?

9. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One could only hope that the young center back scores as many goals as Klose ;)

10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Re: Preston Zimmerman at SV Darmstadt 98 [R]

breaking news: the USA does not have an official language. Maybe they are disappointed that you do not speak German or Spanish.

11. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The use of foreign-born American citizens from more entrenched soccer cultures than the US is nothing new for the national teams. MLS players were also overlooked in the Bradley era in favor of European-based pros.

But, JK has said that he wants to play a quintessential American style, and that he wants to connect the team to its fans. MLS is where that style is going to be developed and promoted, now and in the future, just like the Bundesliga is for Germany. Personally, I would like to see more US-based players being given legitimate chances to develop under Klinsmann, and I would have preferred it under Bradley, too.

Picking a Williams or Johnson who, according to JK, have a leg up in terms of their understanding of the game, is easier for JK, and he can relate to them and they to him immediately. And if they do well for our team I will cheer them on. But if all things are equal I would rather see someone on the team who has been raised in our soccer culture, who every young kid playing club ball in the US can connect to. We need to have guys like Donovan and Shea who are playing national team ball and MLS, too, and we need to have more of them, not less, in order to better develop our national soccer culture and style.

12. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This quote should pretty much end the thread.

Zimmerman telegram eh? So we should worry about the USSF capping Mexican-American players who don't speak English too, huh Preston? :D At least if they don't speak English in the airport, that is.

And this is where Preston's rantings do have Merit. If a lot of other American players start echoing this sentiment, and if the USSF stays silent, then there is a problem. As of now, it's just one man screaming an opinion.

13. irish56

irish56 Member+

Oct 30, 2006
    indy
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

English is the official language for most of the USA.

14. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yeah, this made for great copy, but as with all coaches it starts with "blahblahbahallabalhaha..." and ends with "I need to win at all costs."

and that's the end of all arguments.

The only real difference is Kaptain Karma does want to put in place a more uniform training process for all youth teams that mirror the senior team. That consistency will pay off in 5 years.

15. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Just checking: are we speaking German and Spanish on this American soccer board?

16. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008

All things being equal, I would rather see an American born and American bred player over a foreigner, but if they have citizenship and are committed to the US because they love the country, and aren't simply being a mercenary, then I don't have a problem with it. All you really want is guys who will bleed for the shirt. If some are skeptical whether Fabian Johnson really feels that way, I don't think you can blame them.

17. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Are you that sure this conversation is not going on in Spanish somewhere?

Asi tu quieres, se puede escribir en espanol. After all, Spanish has been spoken a lot longer than English in places like Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah and California

18. PALE568

PALE568 Member

Jun 5, 2003
    mind your own.

And Dutch was spoken even longer in New York!

And Irish has been spoken a lot longer in Dublin than English!

And London used to be ruled by Romans!

I think the point is this: it's silly to pretend that English is somehow incidental to America's cultural heritage. It's pretty central, actually.

Not a damn thing wrong with living in the US and speaking Spanish as your primary language. But stop pretending speaking English doesn't matter. It's just silly.

19. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's a fair point, but it could be equally made about many US players, given how little we know about their personalities and allegiances. Some players are just more interested in club football for instance. That could be as big or a bigger factor than the person's first language or where he spent some or all of his childhood.

20. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768h3Tz4Qik"]Southpark - They Took Our Job! - YouTube[/ame]

21. Celtigo

Celtigo Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Great Lakes Region (The Other One)
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really no. NATO's bombing campaign in Bosnia and Kosovo, while and admirable, humanitarian mission/bailout for our Euro allies and the end result of 4 decades of free ridership, had very little to do with "protecting" this country from anything, unless you feared the Serbian hordes would soon make there way to the banks of the Hudson. The same goes roughly with Somalia. Desert Storm is more arguable and I'll concede that it least had something to do with protecting our energy reserves, although its unclear our BFF Saddam was really going to shut out the country that supported him throughout his 8 year war with Iran in the 80s.

And where do I imply I even agree with Zimmerman? You're putting words in my mouth. Its an interesting discussion, but I've never been up in arms about any of the guys who were the son of servicemen playing for us. As you say the sad thing is the reflection on our domestic system of development more than anything else that so much of our talent is coming from a relatively small overseas pool.

22. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Preston's words can be hidden behind an agenda. He has a brother in college soccer , right?

23. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fabian Johnson: ""They [his family] say it's my decision," Johnson said. "They respect I wanted to play for the U.S. My dad's happy about it.""

Seems to be a connection to the US despite not having spent much (any) time here. People can be skeptical if they want, but i dont see any reason to be. And let us not forget that he made his 1 time switch.

http://www.nj.com/soccer-news/index.ssf/2011/11/german-born_fabian_johnson_rea.html
    Danny Williams: "“I wanted to come to the U.S. to discover my dad’s country. I feel more American than German. People over here are very nice and open-minded, which is how I am. So I feel very comfortable. When I left, I knew that I had to come back.”"

ussoccer.com: When did you first know for sure that you wanted to play for the United States?
    DW: “I told my dad I wanted to travel to the USA once before I could know for sure I want to play for the U.S. National Team. After my visit, I felt so connected to this nation that I knew what I wanted to do. I spoke with my dad, and he said if you have this feeling in your heart than you should make it come true.”

DW: “They gave me the passport, but I didn’t look inside. I gave it to my dad first. He was so excited and happy for me and proud his son is an American.”

DW: “Not many because they don’t show that many games in Germany, but I always watch in the World Cup. I will never forget the game against Germany in the 2002 World Cup in the quarterfinal. This was the time that I started loving the USA. I watched the game, and normally I would support Germany. After the U.S. lost that match, I started crying. My dad asked what was going on. I didn’t know what to say, but I wanted the U.S. to win.”

ussoccer.com: Obviously it means a lot to you and your dad that you are now representing the U.S. What does it feel like wearing the U.S. crest?
    DW: “It feels weird in a positive way. I watched them playing on TV, and now I’m here and have a chance to play with them. I’m so proud to be a member of this nation and this team. I really look forward to playing.”

AND FOR A BIT OF FUN:

DW: “I was surprised. My phone rang and the person said he was Jurgen Klinsmann. He is an idol in Germany. He came to the game against Mainz. I thought he was there to see Fabian Johnson.

http://www.ussoccer.com/news/mens-national-team/2011/10/danny-williams-qanda.aspx

--------------------------------------------

Cant believe these fake americans are crowding our team.

25. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except for the fact that most people who have the entire Lee Greenwood collection, have Confederate flags on their pickups.