Philadelphia Union and FIFA 12

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Dills, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried playing the demo the other night. Hard breaking old habits (auto standing tackle w/aggressive press doesn't work anymore!) and for an Arsenal fan it's certainly a dagger in the heart to see Nasri and Fabregas on Arsenal (and at 87 and 89 respectively!)

2. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thoughts (note, i didn't play 11 so i don't know some of that gameplay... experience is 06 and 10):
    1) Beginner and intermediate skills are very different. I can actually score! (and win 4 nil without really trying)
    2) I like how if a player, striker, winger is going to make a run they point. I scored twice that way.
    3) Don't like the auto switch player. Not sure if you can turn it off or not, will probably see if i can soon.
    4) Defense is still a little difficult even at beginner. Definite learning curve.
    5) Don't like how when you're near an open ball it auto runs at the ball, so you can't take an angle to it. This makes a difference with shooting angles.
    6) Still figuring out PK's, both shooter and goalie.

Oh, also, I think it was Fifa and not PES, but they stopped play and took the guy off the field and did fair play by auto kicking to the goalie. Also, I had a player injured and was the farthest man back and wasn't taken off... the opposition got the ball and made a break for it and was called offsides even though he was still in the middle of the field and standing (with obvious limp).

Also just witness a guy walk straight off the field because of injury.

And the ball hits the ref a bit more often than i like (three times so far)

3. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you change your controller settings from tactical defending to legacy defending, it feels just like FIFA 11. Although I find it harder to score. & I hope that legacy defending will be available in Online Play.

4. glav

glav New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    From what I've seen, you either A) can't use it online, or B) can't use it online in ranked matches. I like it, as it seems to place a huge emphasis on positioning. I'd like to see it tweaked so it's a bit easier to dispossess a player, though, because at this point I've been able to dribble through three or four players at a time without using skill moves.

Also, is it just me or is it a lot harder to serve in a successful cross? Crosses and headers used to be my bread and butter but I think I've had one headed goal in 20 games played so far.

Considering how far behind FIFA is on MLS team rosters, I look forward to fielding Chris Agorsor - Carlos Ruiz forward tandem.

5. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Union Player Ratings:
    72 - Mondragon
    71 - Le Toux
    69 - Adu
    69 - Paunovic
    69 - Valdes
    66 - Mwanga
    66 - Torres
    65 - Califf
    65 - Williams
    64 - Carroll
    64 - Mapp
    63 - Daniel
    63 - Miglioranzi
    63 - Gonzalez
    62 - Nakazawa
    61 - McInerney
    61 - MacMath
    61 - G. Farfan
    61 - M. Farfan
    60 - Houapeu
    59 - Okugo
    58 - Holder
    55 - Richter

6. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If thats true, I'm going to be so ********ING disappointed with this game. Usually I wait and get it for half off on black friday, but this year I decided to pre-order it. (Not for the stupid Ultimate Team gold packs. Ordered it at a local store.) So if thats the case, I probably won't be playing FIFA & the U as much.

7. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Intermediate that's all i can ever do, get in a cross.. but it's so bad cause it's either too far, too short, or goes to defender / goalie. I think i've only gotten 3 goals from crosses in defender mode, one header, forget the other, and the last one was a luck shot as the defender WHIFFED the kick and it landed right at Messi's foot as he one timed it

8. glav

glav New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    But letting people play with Fifa 11 style defending (what they've termed Legacy Defending) online would be completely unfair. It's so much easier, so you'd either see the person using Legacy having an unfair advantage over the people who use Tactical Defending, or no one would use Tactical Defending online.

It really does make the game more realistic, once you get past the learning curve.

9. jtorok

jtorok Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'd say these are the biggest discrepancies.
    - Le Toux is a little too high I think. 69 seems about right.
    - Califf should be around 67.
    - Carroll too, maybe 66.
    - To see Daniel and Migs have the same rating is painful. I would have Daniel around 64 but Migs at around 61.
    - Marfan should definitely be around 64.

10. uncleo

uncleo Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Downingtown, pa
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. glav

glav New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    The team ratings, from that video, seem pretty much spot on.

12. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad, but a little too high.

Toronto and Vancouver are three-star teams?

13. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's because of the exchange rate.

14. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    bah dum tsh...must spread rep

15. glav

glav New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    At this point, I'm not going to complain about MLS ratings being too high, since they've been undershot for a while.

16. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I thought I signed up for release date delivery.

Apparently not. Amazon is saying to expect it next week. :mad:

17. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing we can complain about is 1. Concacaf Champs League & 2. More North & South America Stadiums.

18. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone play Ultimate Team? It's like FIFA meets collecting baseball cards meets Wall St. I'm kind of hooked.

19. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have had an ultimate team since FIFA first added it in FIFA 2009. It get pretty old, pretty fast though. It seems like every team I verse has Casillas as there GK, 4 Messis (1 regular and 3 player of the week Messis) 3 Rondaldos, and 3 Rooneys.

20. Doop

Doop Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The FUT game is a money pit. Almost as bad as that Derby Owners Club horse racing thing at Dave and Busters. You can get some freebies and deals, but in order to get the top flight cards you need to open your wallet.

21. glav

glav New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Did you PAY for release date delivery? Cause if I did, I'd be more than a little pissed.

I sort of got into FUT last year, but now that career mode looks significantly less broken I'll be back to bringing League 2 teams up to the EPL.

Funnily enough, the last team I did that with was Brighton and Hove, back in Fifa 10, and they've since won a double promotion, and might just get their 3rd in 3 years if they keep performing like they have this year. Only one reasonable solution: my copy of Fifa 10 has voodoo powers.

22. UnionFreak1

UnionFreak1 Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Tucson, Baja AZ
    Club:
    FC Tucson
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best comparison possible. Unless you pre-ordered the game from GameStop (because you get 4 free gold packs) then its not worth playing. But, EA just HAD to make a quarter of the achievements where you have to do something in Ultimate Team. So if your big on achievements, then it is worth it.

Anyways, my review. The game is a day and night difference between the demo and the actual game itself. I would put it in the "Game of the Year" category. Its that good. The graphics are incredible. The new online "head to head" seasons is so much better than the old system, that its ridiculous. But this is a must buy for the 360/PS3.

23. unholyunion

unholyunion Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The XP point system per week is interesting... just picked up the game and am actually watching the demo with what's going on.

24. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was offered free, which is just as irritating.

25. McRob

McRob Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know. I haven't put any money in (I can't since I don't have the game) and without having played a match I already have:
    - the entire Union roster
    - a Bronze American MLS starting XI (maybe best possible)
    - a Silver American MLS starting XI (missing a few of the best players)
    - an MLS starting XI (better than the silver US squad, but missing key players)
    - 8/11 of a Gold German Bundesliga starting XI (not spectacular, but I do have Gotze)

The combined rating and chemistry of my best squad is 170. The best on the world leaderboard is 190. That's a big difference, but for someone who hasn't earned or bought any coins, it seems reasonable. I'd hardly call it a "money pit."