News: GIminasia president speaks of possible US defender to Argentina

Discussion in 'MLS: Rumors' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jun 24, 2011.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On ESPN radio in Argentina. Gimnasia La Plata president said:

We are currently in a regulation playoff so its hard to imagine looking beyond that. But god willing we will win and stay up in Primera and then we can look forward to next year. We will being life without GBS and look for reenforcements.

When asked about possible transfers:

We have identified 3 players we would like to bring 2 from South America and one from the MLS who played with GBS in Columbus. He is the team captain and defender. But we will see where we stand after the 2 games we must play.

CHAD MARSHALL, not bad. : )

2. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's only 26 so I think he should make the move. IMHO he should be on that Gold Cup roster right now, if not starting, and that goes beyond my bias. Based on the current method of National Team selection especially for starters, playing abroad is a plus.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He had the opportunity to move to Mainz in Germany when he was available as a free agent. Instead he chose to stay with MLS.

We'll just have to wait and see...................

Oh, and why in the world would Colombus want to sell Chad Marshall?

4. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    Help pay for a new stadium?

5. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And it also begs the question, if Chad turned down Mainz, why would he want to go to Gimnasia? (Maybe GBS would sell him on it, who knows, but I'm not seeing it.)

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd die to play a year or two in Argentina's first flight. Place is NUTS!!!

7. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Guys generally have a lot of trouble actually getting their paychecks down there. Thanks but no thanks if I'm him.

8. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sent $200 recenly to help out with the new stadium, I don't think they need more.:cool::cool:

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you, or many others, might die to play there, but Marshall - to me anyway, and going by his previous actions/decisions - doesn't seem like the type.

I could obviously be wrong though.

10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I'd sure like to play in a league where if your team is in a relegation battle that the fans cut through a fence and try to fight the players on the field.

11. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was offered a contract at Mainz and the Crew matched that offer from Mainz. and that was from the Columbus Crew beat reporter Shawn Mitchell. I know that there was a rumor that he got a bonus when re-upped. I think it was said that it was 100k(I could be Wrong), which is the same amount that Seattle was fined for the contract mess with Sigi.

I have a question how much do the players in Argentina make? I know Gino has stated that in the past that he was not always paid. I would hate to see him go. but a chance to play in Argentina would too much to pass up. I know people talk about the EPL but I would love to see a game in Argentina. I know when GBS went back 5k showed up to see him.
    [ame="http://vimeo.com/18858909"]QUE PLACER VERTE OTRA VEZ on Vimeo[/ame]

12. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because La Plata is a dope little town. VAMOS LOBO!

13. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are a couple of Argentine-Americans playing in Argentina currently but I'd love to see a USMNT player plying their trade in the Primera División. Hands down it's one of my favorite leagues. It perfectly combines youngsters and vets. There's always excitement and lately the big boys Boca Jrs., River Plate, Estudiantes, and Independiente have struggled. So some smaller clubs have produced -- big time. Hell, River Plate is in serious danger of relegation. I'm all for chad heading south provided he is well paid, gets paid, and has a chance to play.

14. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    Might as well put this rumor to bed as Gimnasia got relegated.

15. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES this is put to bed Gimnasia President said they will look only for local talent now that they are in Nacional B.

It was confirmed that they were interested in Chad mentioning him by name.