Ethan Finlay in Sweden?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by sidefootsitter, Jun 11, 2011.

1. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    I'll keep my eyes open but at this point I'm almost more interested in who's behind bringing all these college players over this summer. Like I wrote in another thread, Patrick Mörk (one of the biggest swedish agents) was the guy bringing over the Boston College players but it seems unlikely that he's behind every one of these new players. As I understand it the ones still playing in college are not even allowed to have an agent, or did I get that wrong?

2. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    I was just thinking about this. I'm guessing it is a Swedish agent or someone very connected to Swedish soccer and the college game.

There have been some recent rule changes in college soccer. Now players are able to play with and against pros and still keep eligibility as long as they are not being paid to play in a game or train. Back in the USA a lot of college bound youth players are playing in the MLS reserve league thanks to the rule change.

However, hiring an agent makes a college player in any sport ineligible. A recent example would be Soony Saad who hired an agent to get him trials, nothing worked out and he wasn't able to return to school.

I think players may be able to have an advisor and still keep eligibility but I'm not sure. Anyone know? I remember watching a basketball documentary and a high school senior talked to someone at a sports management company. They analyzed his game, stats, etc to help him decide if he was ready for the NBA (this was back when players could go pro right out of high school) for go to college for a year or two. I think the big thing with an agent is the hiring of one, paying someone or signing an agreement to be represented and then the agent being paid once a pro contract is signed. I think some agents even charge money to find players trials so who knows.

3. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    They're not allowed to sign with an agent for representation in the field but there there's a murky "adviser" role usually handled by family lawyers, so kids don't get screwed. Those could be recommended to them by agents or ex-coaches or current coaches or, I suppose, even some dumb poster on a soccer board (by which I mean, someone other than me).

Mörk must have some connections but the soccer community in the US is fairly intertwined, so a proper introduction here and phone call there might do the trick.

4. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Wasn't Finlay rumored to be looking for a GA deal this year?

5. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    After looking around a bit I think that swedish agent Khaled El-Ahmad might be the guy behind the trend. He used to play college soccer in the US and then for Sirius in Sweden. He seems to mostly represent female players but also worked together with Djurgården manager Magnus Pehrsson in Denmark. He is Matt Pyzdrowskis agent and the guy who recommended the other americans trialists there at Ängelholm.

Reading his blog he also writes that he and Pehrsson traveled together to the MLS Combine last winter and have regular contact with each other so it's not a stretch to think that he's behind bringing Rolfe to Djurgården. Among other things he also writes that he was recently down in Mjällby and met with the club. Finally here's a revealing quote from his twitter:
    KhaledKea Khaled EA
    Organizing the schedule for various US male soccer players training with teams in Europe!
    31 May
    ... and more off topic but since I know that the Yanks Abroad forum is fascinated by all things Adu I thought I'd share what El-Ahmad wrote in his blog this winter:
    FYI, Freddy Adu was really close to ending up in Allsvenskan.​

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The MLS Combine saves a lot of $$$ for smaller clubs.

Not everyone is there but there's enough talent on hand to follow.

Plus, it's usually in South Florida. There are worse places to be in January.

7. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010
    Today he published a new blog-entry confirming that he is indeed the person behind it. According to him it's a total of 15+ american players that he has brought over this summer to train/play with clubs in both Allsvenskan and lower divisions.

Colin Rolfe (Djurgården)
    Brian "Cobi" Span (Örebro SK)
    Brian Ownby (Mjällby)
    Will Bates (Mjällby)
    Charlie Rugg (Åtvidaberg)
    Conor Fitzpatrick (Motala AIF & Åtvidaberg)
    Steve Rose (Motala AIF & Åtvidaberg)
    Tommy Muller (Ängelholm)
    Ethan Finlay (Unknown Club)

That's the nine players we know about, so there's at least six more out there. Perhaps they're in the lower league clubs since they haven't showed up in any media reports.

Edit: I just read that Syrianska has had SEVEN trialists with them over the international break. No names revealed by the club though, but it's no big stretch to think that at least one could be one of the missing americans.

8. arsenalfc08

arsenalfc08 Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Wow talk about being connected! The NCAA rule changes certainly have helped in this instance. Now college players can play with and against professionals as long as the college players are not being paid to play.

9. david_c

david_c Member

Jan 11, 2008
    Sweden
    I heard a rumour today that Ethan Finlay is on trial with LSK, or at least did he play with the u21 team against IFK Göteborg u21 and scored LSK's only goal in a 6-1 loss. He is mentioned in a small article i the local newspaper (the paper version) but i couldn't find it on their website